Squirrels

Now1more

Super Active Member
Get one of these! We had one that lived almost 19 years.

Not only will they get the squirrels, but these big bastards will eat a stranger!

The Maine Coon is the largest domesticated cat breed. It has a distinctive physical appearance and valuable hunting skills. It is one of the oldest natural breeds in North America, specifically native to the state of Maine, where it is the official state cat.

maine-coon-cats-24__605.jpg

baldmountain

Super Active Member
Must be a difference in locales/food sources/etc.....or just plain luck. The squirrels here have never fucked with my veggies...in the garden...or in my dome GH......and I've never had anything go after the ganja whatsoever.
The squirrels we have ripped the enclosed suet holder off the deck by breaking the chain holding it and dragged the whole thing into the woods. Then pried the cover off by pulling the wire hinges out. Those bastards are persistent.

baldmountain

Super Active Member
They sound as bad as a damn raccoon. The ones here come around because my wife loves birds. Must spend $40 a week on them. Which pisses me off when see 7 little rodents out there eating everything, but she won't let me shoot them.
I'm right there with you. I'm okay with the turkeys except they crap everywhere. But the squirrels are destructive.

BTW, Natural Grains from Blue seed are about $16 and will feed 50 turkeys for a week and they seem to like it. The cheapest solution I've found.

Now1more

Super Active Member
Not worried about the turkeys too much. They do shit all over the place. Constantly in my yard, I don't mind, it's just when they're in the dryway shitting all over. This past year I put a stop to my wife feeding the birds. If you won't let me get rid of the squirrels, you can't feed the birds!

Highland Rogue

Really Active Member
Lady hawks
We had an explosion of crafty squirrels and chipmunks overtaking our bird feeders last year. I swear they'd bare their teeth and flip me off when I went to shoo them away.

Badass Hawk showed up, remaining squirrels are much more civil and cautious.

"Good morning Mr. Squirrel" - Highland Rogue
"Good morning Mr. Rogue" - Civil Squirrel

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have a large stand of hickory, and several 100+yo oaks. Nuts and acorns everywhere. I had tomatoes, peppers etc. and my squirrels never messed with them. Not even the over-ripes or spotted ones I tossed. I saw birds getting at those but never the squirrels.

@Highland Rogue I agree about the predators. I have hawks circling all the time, and they love my tall trees for nests. I hear owls in the evening but haven't seen one yet to know if it's a mouse-eater or a squirrel-eater... My squirrels are yuuuuuge.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
my first year outdoors i had 12 planters going and the little bastards ate the roots off of every plant.

Then i started a crazy patrol...sling shot...rat traps...chicken wire fences....and then i ran into that dont know how to grow weed yet factor...

Happy times... Misty and water colored and filled with the lack of chill doob fillings...

The solution for me was growing tomotoes outdoors and using lights for the grass.

All round better. The cost notsomuch...but its a lot cheaper than 300 an oz :D

For bird feeders those weighted green ones are the best...and you can stop the grackles from taking all your food and going to the fence to barf it up and eat it....so many they found out how smooth a slingshot marble is too.

Allegedly..

I set it so the pretty smaller birds would get the seed. They are fun to watch...nature is not all touchy feely goldfinches can be thugs !

ZooH2O

They sound as bad as a damn raccoon. The ones here come around because my wife loves birds. Must spend $40 a week on them. Which pisses me off when see 7 little rodents out there eating everything, but she won't let me shoot them.
They have really tough skin and they can be caught then drowned fastest and most humane that is silent then skin it and hang a piece next to your plants and your wife will not know . 1 trap with goldfish as bait will trap one first nigh then you can just wash it and return it or keep it like i did and hunh his h ih de on my fence it scratched my sti mb gray in my outdoor tank had to die it lifted a 40 pound weight over a piece of plywood

Big Perm

Budtender
I have three live traps. Perfect size traps to drop into a tote of water. Then they get tossed in the street that night and are gone the next day.