Something for a new grower

baldmountain

Super Active Member
The video A Beginner's Guide with Kyle Kushman came up on my YouTube feed. I don't agree with everything in the series, but there is enough reasonable information that it would be good for a new grower. The problems are:

1) He shills his nutrients. A new grower should start with an amended soil like FFOF.
2) Use led lights. You don't want to manage the heat with an HPS or MH light.
3) The training stuff is good, but don't try the super cropping.

There are some other little things, and he doesn't talk about pests at all, but all-in-all I think it's a good starting point. Here's the first video in the series:

I try to stay away from advice from master growers when helping a new grower. While the master growers give top notch advice.....they also have top notch equipment to make their grows a million times easier. Most newer growers think more water, food and light means 25 lbs buds and they will be swimming in it but that's not reality.

baldmountain

Super Active Member
I'm a newish grower. I was completely overwhelmed by the amount of information on growing available and totally confused because it's all contradictory. I posted the first video in the series because it seems like a reasonable start. The only thing I'd change is start smaller. A 2x2 rather than a 4x4 tent and led light and skip the super cropping.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Best advice I could give is get cheap equipment and get your weed growing. You will probably have issues at first regardless of expensive stuff.

Then wait and learn, and buy your next equipment based on quality.
A good tent, good quiet/powerful exhaust, good lights (QB's for me), a good clip-fan or three, a nute system that suits you, etc.

Hust17

PICK YOUR OWN
Kind of like training wheels. It doesn't matter how cool your bike is if you can't ride it :)
I agree with your premise but I was always taught to get the best and treat it well and it will outlast any savings you could’ve hoped for with cheaper equipment. But there is some great entry level gear out there. I wouldn’t go dropping a load on a tent for example when you could invest in a light.

baldmountain

Super Active Member
I agree with your premise but I was always taught to get the best and treat it well and it will outlast any savings you could’ve hoped for with cheaper equipment. But there is some great entry level gear out there. I wouldn’t go dropping a load on a tent for example when you could invest in a light.
Better to invest a little when you are starting out just in case growing isn't something you want to keep doing. It's more important to have quality information about how to grow than quality gear. And strictly speaking you don't need anything more than a seed. Everything else is goodies and stuff to keep you from being robbed or busted. :D

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Devil's advocate - this is for the 'budget' grower that can't get the best of everything to start. But you need everything to do it right - sooooo.

The first object of primo quality I would invest in is a pH tester.

Hust17

PICK YOUR OWN
Devil's advocate - this is for the 'budget' grower that can't get the best of everything to start. But you need everything to do it right - sooooo.

The first object of primo quality I would invest in is a pH tester.
Perfect example. :)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Anyway @baldmountain - I'm retired. This and outdoor gardening are my primary hobbies.

My only 'job' is as a seed tester. Lucked into that one, but it suits me perfect. I get to grow lots of plants, and I don't have to push them looking for a giant harvest since I have a steady influx of beans. (I also buy and hoard them LOL)

I have figured out what works for me, and if you have any questions I won't spout anecdotal info from my grow as some kind of gospel or something. If I don't know I'll point you towards someone that does.

Hust17

PICK YOUR OWN
Anyway @baldmountain - I'm retired. This and outdoor gardening are my primary hobbies.

My only 'job' is as a seed tester. Lucked into that one, but it suits me perfect. I get to grow lots of plants, and I don't have to push them looking for a giant harvest since I have a steady influx of beans. (I also buy and hoard them LOL)

I have figured out what works for me, and if you have any questions I won't spout anecdotal info from my grow as some kind of gospel or something. If I don't know I'll point you towards someone that does.
How much per sqft? ;)