Soil recommendations

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
Looking for some good soils or custom blends. Had fair success with organics but I know I can do better. Will also need a good formula for keeping bonsai mothers. Thanks for any advice fam.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I'm far from a soil blend expert but I've been really happy with the current blend I've been running that was recommended to me by the guy at the local organic store. He recommended that I mix a 1:1 blend of "Basecamp" from Elevation Organics and Nectar for the Gods #4. It gets that nice spongy feeling and the plants seem to love it.

Coots mix...Buildasoil...or variations of it. Can’t go wrong. Don’t go cheap on your compost or ewc. You’ll get what you put into it. Down to Earth has good products, but you’ll save money by going bulk and finding similar stuff at your farm n feed stores. Listen to potcasts and you’ll gain a wealth of knowledge, or read their books. Find what works for you and make it your own.

@Evergreengardener has a good recipe floating around and @J.James can probably also be of some service

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Ya I use 60-40 I think. You need something that offsets being root bound. Cuz it’s going to happen.
I did my first root prune couple months ago she’s needing it again. 1L round pot. Took about 1/2 from sides and bottom. Didn’t miss a beat.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
I’m going to craft a 2 stem manifold out of my sos. She has thick stocks.
Different clone of each node/branch. I’ll post hear if I have any success.
She just struck roots.

Burned Haze

Really Active Member
w/e you do , worm poop and insect poop, seabird, bat guano ....... organics baby ( dude I have a whole closet dedicated to poop and dried lol)

if it was me, i would get misc things to be able to compost every week with everything you can afford and that will make your shit awesome ( save yourself the cash on stupid liquid nutes and put it in the organics and bennies ), if you can lasuana (top dress) your dry organics weekly , sooo easy and and no fucking around and the bud taste soo good plus no flush . my bigggest tip is don’t be a little bitch and think you can do it with no respirator , lol, get yourself a full face and then youll understand if you do top dress and adding all these misc and they all say if inhaled they are super bad for you. I’m good to be a tester or see results years later ( so many other results or factors in life besides that eh , that’s soo easy as a prevent )

roots organics line is great, makes Me sound like a salesmen and it’s funny like the uprising or terp Line I always buy multiple cause it’s my main veggie and cannabis. Soo easy and works great . Been using their stuff since first year they have been in operation and I def support them Even thou their prices arent the best. If you want direct and the most fresh stock. I can give ya a direct hydro store and the best price Np

Last edited:

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
w/e you do , worm poop and insect poop, seabird, bat guano ....... organics baby ( dude I have a whole closet dedicated to poop and dried lol)

if it was me, i would get misc things to be able to compost every week with everything you can afford and that will make your shit awesome ( save yourself the cash on stupid liquid nutes and put it in the organics and bennies ), if you can lasuana (top dress) your dry organics weekly , sooo easy and and no fucking around and the bud taste soo good plus no flush . my bigggest tip is don’t be a little bitch and think you can do it with no respirator , lol, get yourself a full face and then youll understand if you do top dress and adding all these misc and they all say if inhaled they are super bad for you. I’m good to be a tester or see results years later ( so many other results or factors in life besides that eh , that’s soo easy as a prevent )
I got everything but the poo and compost but that's easy access. Cant say if I do go organic again I'll be doing any guano huffing lol. The gives and takes. Coco will give extra ability to not root bound but will probably grow 2 times faster than soil so its probably a even trade off. Soil sounds simple enough too. All the choices ...

Burned Haze

Really Active Member
I got everything but the poo and compost but that's easy access. Cant say if I do go organic again I'll be doing any guano huffing lol. The gives and takes. Coco will give extra ability to not root bound but will probably grow 2 times faster than soil so its probably a even trade off. Soil sounds simple enough too. All the choices ...

I’m pure 70% coco, 30% perlite indoors ( 70 synthetics %, 30 %organics since synthetic PGRs are a no-no + shit tons bennies and fungi) outdoors ( = pure soil & pure organics and fungi and bennies )

Mr. Krinkle

Thanks guys. I'll check em out. I'd prefer to make my own but if it comes down to it. Any bonsai keepers here ? You prefer soil or coco etc. I seen @Turpman mention coco and perlite.

yea ive got one in Royal Gold Tupur that's kicking ass - but yea i would highly recommend any 70-30 coco/perlite mix (there's a bunch)

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Good info so far. I ended up going with Ocean Forest for my moms. Never ran it before, but hear its hot af so figured it would be good for the moms. I found it was pretty dense so I added in allot of perlite.
I grew in Ocean Forest a couple of years ago and it was definitely pretty dense back then. I liked growing in it better when I mixed it half and half with happy frog and mixed in a little perlite. That made it more spongy but the perlite helped it drain better. The only thing I didn't like about Ocean Forest was that it seemed to have a lot of bark in it when I used it.

inthetrees

I grew in Ocean Forest a couple of years ago and it was definitely pretty dense back then. I liked growing in it better when I mixed it half and half with happy frog and mixed in a little perlite. That made it more spongy but the perlite helped it drain better. The only thing I didn't like about Ocean Forest was that it seemed to have a lot of bark in it when I used it.
Good to know man. Being where I'm at in Canada I always had a hard time trying to find quality soil. It was either Sunshine #4, or Promix and both seemed to always be loaded with bugs. Shipping cost per bag was twice what the dirt cost to bring it in.

The local shop I use now is great and they stock both Happy Frog & Ocean Forest. I didn't see too much bark in this batch luckily. I added in an extra 25% perlite so we will see how she goes and also did a hard drench with Gnatrol. I haven't had any issues with gnats being in UC and I was kinda sketched out about bringing 'em in with soil for the moms. Got my fat fingers crossed...