Slugs are mf'ers

Oreguhnism

Really Active Member
Try putting down some medium sized chunky perlite or wood chips. I live in slug heaven and keep them at bay this way. Also helps with lowereing evap rates and soil temps as added side bonus. Weed control, too, yaddah yaddah....

Or

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Try putting down some medium sized chunky perlite or wood chips. I live in slug heaven and keep them at bay this way. Also helps with lowereing evap rates and soil temps as added side bonus. Weed control, too, yaddah yaddah....

Or

I'm ok with that but Sluzilla did not get the memo! LOL. I do notice that the perlite is sticking to him, but he's out in the middle of it. What's crazy is that the plant in the pic with slugzilla, is the same plant in the first pic of this thread. Ends up I need that as a clone, so I repotted there. ( not sure how it got outside to begin with although being a stoner probably figured into it)slugzilla.jpgslugzilla2.jpg.
Scissors of doom
slugzilla3.jpg

Even though there is goo coming out of this sob, it survived this scissors attack and tried for an escape, it did not work out for him.

Maybe it's the lemon haze is simply slug food.

I have placed some Diatomaceous Earth around two other plant to see what happens good or bad.

Traps are out and working, I'll post some pics with body counts soon.

Oreguhnism

Really Active Member
I'm ok with that but Sluzilla did not get the memo! LOL. I do notice that the perlite is sticking to him, but he's out in the middle of it. What's crazy is that the plant in the pic with slugzilla, is the same plant in the first pic of this thread. Ends up I need that as a clone, so I repotted there. ( not sure how it got outside to begin with although being a stoner probably figured into it)View attachment 10302View attachment 10303.
Scissors of doom
View attachment 10304

Even though there is goo coming out of this sob, it survived this scissors attack and tried for an escape, it did not work out for him.

Maybe it's the lemon haze is simply slug food.

I have placed some Diatomaceous Earth around two other plant to see what happens good or bad.

Traps are out and working, I'll post some pics with body counts soon.
I meant big pieces that are size of dimes or quarters. Medium grade in a 50lb bag....that Walmart perlite that barely covers the soil is especially not how I would describe it...

Fun fact, slugs and snail poo is said to be as beneficial or greater than earthworms....

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I meant big pieces that are size of dimes or quarters. Medium grade in a 50lb bag....that Walmart perlite that barely covers the soil is especially not how I would describe it...

Fun fact, slugs and snail poo is said to be as beneficial or greater than earthworms....
Oh, I see...so it's the size of the perlite and where you buy it that matters? I am always leery of solutions that require special shopping for the enemy, particularly those solutions that do not effect body count of said enemy. All those solutions do is delay the inevitable or move the predators onto a different food source. They are still there, still hungry, still reproducing. So yes, even if perlite works as a deterrent, which is not apparent in the above photo, I could do a few pots with a 50 gallon bag, but I would need several truck loads to cover what I cultivate. So besides the overall effectiveness being questionable, the cost would be ridiculous.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
After the slug crossing the perlite I covered that with Diatomaceous earth and the next day there were two slugs on the original plant. Since then I put a good ring of coffee grounds around and so far no slugs have crossed that.

I did make traps and have been setting them out, and they are killing a bunch of slugs. The first day I got 20, now it tapers off to about 2 slugs a day per trap. I don't use beer in the traps, I make my own solution comprised of 1 cup water, 1 teaspoon flour, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon yeast. You can also put some boric acid/slug pellets in the trap for the big slugs that drink out of the traps (like a dog at a bowl) without going in.

Attachments

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
My spots are hard to get to, so checking daily wouldn't work for me.
The rain kills most pellets and such for me. I'm having a rough time with so much rain this year

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
My spots are hard to get to, so checking daily wouldn't work for me.
The rain kills most pellets and such for me. I'm having a rough time with so much rain this year
Use the first trap with the green top, it has capacity and is weatherproof. You can leave that one for a while, the slugs eventually sink.

Now you got me thinking.... you might be able to put the pellets in one of these traps, they won't get wet. Good idea Terp!

Oreguhnism

Really Active Member
Oh, I see...so it's the size of the perlite and where you buy it that matters? I am always leery of solutions that require special shopping for the enemy, particularly those solutions that do not effect body count of said enemy. All those solutions do is delay the inevitable or move the predators onto a different food source. They are still there, still hungry, still reproducing. So yes, even if perlite works as a deterrent, which is not apparent in the above photo, I could do a few pots with a 50 gallon bag, but I would need several truck loads to cover what I cultivate. So besides the overall effectiveness being questionable, the cost would be ridiculous.
I was just poking a lil fun geez, lighten up.

I also meant that that type of perlite is usually only found in 50lb bags, not to actually buy 50lbs worth.

If you are having problems with slugs wait till you get a visit from russet mites.....then you will pull hair out, good luck and no hard feelings hopefully!

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Use the first trap with the green top, it has capacity and is weatherproof. You can leave that one for a while, the slugs eventually sink.

Now you got me thinking.... you might be able to put the pellets in one of these traps, they won't get wet. Good idea Terp!
Thats good if it wasnt illegal here.
I'm doing this guerrilla. I go once a week to check and reapply pellets.
I dont wanna leave anything behind, ya dig?
This is My first year blazing a trail to a hidden patch of flowers. I had this dream in my head. It kept me up a few night on Google earth planning my spot.
I decided to wear shorts and long socks to check em Monday.
Bad idea. Poison sumac, oak, or ivy got me.
Fuckers!!! My legs were swollen 20 minutes after contact.
Man this is a tough gig. I wont give up.