Size ratio: Veg tent to Flower tent perpetual grow

VAHomegrown

I wanted to see what you all are running size wise for veg & flower tents. Is there a formula to determine the optimal sizing? Im planning to set up a perpetual grow. Here are the tents I currently use (odd sized tents I know. I live small 2br cabin and they must all fit in the guest room in spaces deemed appropriate by my wife) 2x2x48, 3x3x80, 4x4x80. I normally veg for 1 month and run 9-10 week sativa dominant strains. Will the 2x2 be able to fill both the 3x3 and the 4x4? I would be running 3 gallon air pots for flower. I have a separate area I use to start seedlings so I do not need to take that into account.

Last edited:

Streetpro09

Tester
I wanted to see what you all are running size wise for veg & flower tents. Is there a formula to determine the optimal sizing? Im planning to set up a perpetual grow. Here are the tents I currently use (odd sized tents I know. I live small 2br cabin and they must all fit in the guest room in spaces deemed appropriate by my wife) 2x2x48, 3x3x80, 4x4x80. I normally veg for 1 month and run 9-10 week sativa dominant strains. Will the 2x2 be able to fill both the 3x3 and the 4x4? I would be running 3 gallon air pots for flower. I have a separate area I use to start seedlings so I do not need to take that into account.
Not sure how tall your plants are when they go to flower but you could possibly split the 2x2 to have a top and a bottom. Smaller plants up top and the plants that are getting ready to flower on the bottom. Then stagger your harvests best to make it work.

It'll take you some time to see how everything works together (several runs) but i think you have just the right amount of space to work with.

Streetpro09

Tester
Not sure how tall your plants are when they go to flower but you could possibly split the 2x2 to have a top and a bottom. Smaller plants up top and the plants that are getting ready to flower on the bottom. Then stagger your harvests best to make it work.

It'll take you some time to see how everything works together (several runs) but i think you have just the right amount of space to work with.
You can always veg for a week or two more once you get them in their flowering tents, depending on the size of the plants. That can help smooth out any bumps in the perpetual flow.

Easily... Are you under any kind of plant count VAHomegrown?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Running long flowering plants a rotation is tougher to figure out. When they flower long they always seem to harvest individually. Multiple flower tents is the key but it ain't the answer.

IMHO the best option for starting would be partially empty flower tents, then adding a plant or two per month. Keep cycling plants through veg a few a month, but in 3-4 months you should get it to where there's a plant or two ready every month and no crowding.

With the 7-9 week strains, 4-week veg and two tents sets up perfect. I was adding the stuff that needed flipped to the "ready for harvest" tent, and there would be a little crowding at first waiting on plants to finish, but it was while the 'flippers' were small so a shelf to get them at canopy level and it was all good. I have had longer flowering ones in the mix and they just get shoved to the corner in the closest to harvest tent and work around them.

Not going to tell you what to do or make guesses. This is what I have done. But hopefully there's some nugs of worthwhile info in there.

VAHomegrown

The 2x2 I have is very short only 4' I wish i had purchased a taller one. It was actually my first "closet" grow tent. I've been running some floor space numbers and I can make it happen.

VAHomegrown

Thanks for all the advice! I think I can manage rotation schedule H.A.F listed. I will keep the 1/3 veg/flower ratio in mind as well.
I prefer variety and quality much more than large quantity of any single strain. I'm a med patient and have treat my multiple symptoms throughout the day with different strains:)

VAHomegrown

Is there a "home grow inspector" that checks these things? And if so, do you actually let them in your house and admit to having even one plant? :unsure:
I'm sure Virginia will probably head in that direction once they get their fingers on that sales tax money. They don't like being cut out.

We are, 4 plant max unfortunately. $25 fine for more than 4 up to 10 if I recall correctly.
That being the case I would probably suggest popping 2 beans at a time in your 2 x 2 and veg them until they threaten your light and once they do place who you think is the most vigorous in your 4 X 4 and your other girl in your 3 X 3. Scrog them so you can spread each plant out until it fills the space you have horizontally and once they do flip em to flower. Once they show pop 2 new beans in your veg tent and repeat.

Last edited:

Skunkle Justin

The 2x2 I have is very short only 4' I wish i had purchased a taller one. It was actually my first "closet" grow tent. I've been running some floor space numbers and I can make it happen.
That 2x2 won’t really be good for much but drying/curing your harvest. Or just run some autos in there and count on something new every 90-100 days. Or, even throw a couple small clones in 1gals and flower them out like a mini SOG type thing. If I had to use what you have for photos, I’d veg in the 3x3. Let them get about 18-24” tall (since you’re using only 3gals) and then flower them out with a tomato cage to spread them out and add stakes or bigger cages as they stretch. I’m guessing you can get them about 3 1/2 to 4 feet tall without them sucking your pots dry too fast or outgrowing your tent. Then, since there’s plenty of room, you can add a new plant whenever you want and keep good airflow and access to your plants. We all know that a cramped grow space can lead to PM and bugs but I also leads to clumsy accidents. It sucks to snap a branch in mid flower because of some precarious reaching and stretching around a tight grow tent while doing some defoliation or grow light adjustments.

VAHomegrown

That 2x2 won’t really be good for much but drying/curing your harvest. Or just run some autos in there and count on something new every 90-100 days. Or, even throw a couple small clones in 1gals and flower them out like a mini SOG type thing. If I had to use what you have for photos, I’d veg in the 3x3. Let them get about 18-24” tall (since you’re using only 3gals) and then flower them out with a tomato cage to spread them out and add stakes or bigger cages as they stretch. I’m guessing you can get them about 3 1/2 to 4 feet tall without them sucking your pots dry too fast or outgrowing your tent. Then, since there’s plenty of room, you can add a new plant whenever you want and keep good airflow and access to your plants. We all know that a cramped grow space can lead to PM and bugs but I also leads to clumsy accidents. It sucks to snap a branch in mid flower because of some precarious reaching and stretching around a tight grow tent while doing some defoliation or grow light adjustments.
I think I can get by starting 4, 2 gallon pots in the 2x2 or 3, 3 gallons. I pack my tents to the max plants all touching, but always ensure I've got at least one fan pushing the tops of canopy, one fan coming from below pushing cool air up through it, as well as a 6" intake pulling air from the a/c dehumidifier. Never had any PM, mold or any serious pest issues using this set up. I like your recommendation about running a mini SOG in the 1 gallons with clones. I currently have several cuttings rooted that were taken from one of my DTC-99s. They are in 1/2 gallon posts now but I could easily throw them into the 2x2 SOG style. Lol fuck another light purchase! I have a 100w I normally rub in the 2x2 but would want at least 150-200w for flower.
Wifes can be real fuckin assholes
They can be for sure. My wife actually smokes with me daily and loves learning about growing and helping me with my hobby. She is more realistic than I am about our needs, I tend to get carried away with my hobbies. If left to me with no restraint our little house would easily be overtaken by my weedplants just as it has with car/motorcycle gear, fishing gear, guitars, hunting/archery gear etc.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
That 2x2 won’t really be good for much but drying/curing your harvest.
With gentle light the small tent is perfect for starting seeds, getting clones rooted, etc. With the smaller tent as like a "pre-veg" and your next smallest as the veg one, then two for flower you should be good. Keep the bigger veg tent as a transition, using it to flip as well as veg if you run regs. then only girls go into the floewr tents.