Show off your frosty girls

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Looking at her would be confusing to me a year ago and I would've most likely harvested her too early. She's still pushing a lot of white pistles.
My new theory is that plants that were bred by outdoor growers know they are outdoor plants. I think they need that seasonal change to stop growing and start finishing. The white pistils mean little. The plants one job is to make seeds and it didn't pollinate so it keeps trying. The consistent climate tells the plant it has time. Pure theory, but it's one I haven't heard before and I see no big flaws.

If the pack says 8-9 weeks and you're pushing 11, at some point you make the call.

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
Here's a small nugget from my last harvested plant..
Strain =Punch Mittens ( platinum punch remix X Pure Michigan)
Breeder =Freak genetics
Sour Grapey/berry/ fruity-gassy skunk is my best way of describing the terps..

Really wasn't a fan of Pure Michigan F4 by itself, but both crosses ive ran with PM has been some of the best smoke ive grown in couple years...
Didnt get pics b4 chop but heres last ones i took at 50 days.. chopped at 60 days from clone..
Thx✌IMG_20231031_091138297.jpgIMG_20231031_091511693.jpgIMG_20231031_091420589.jpgIMG_20231126_061556364.jpgIMG_20231126_061716979.jpgIMG_20231126_061815508.jpg

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
My new theory is that plants that were bred by outdoor growers know they are outdoor plants. I think they need that seasonal change to stop growing and start finishing. The white pistils mean little. The plants one job is to make seeds and it didn't pollinate so it keeps trying. The consistent climate tells the plant it has time. Pure theory, but it's one I haven't heard before and I see no big flaws.

If the pack says 8-9 weeks and you're pushing 11, at some point you make the call.
agree

D

Deleted member 60

Most folks don't seem to want open pollenated, outdoor created seeds. (or outdoor flowers...LOL. Dummies)

I see seeds listed as "Indoors?Outdoors"....and I've heard claims made that some seed is only suited for indoors...but damn near all seeds are made in tents and warehouses...so the claim is weaksauce here. This plant will grow damn near anywhere if you give what it needs.

My take/experience here where the season is short...from 90 days to 120 days on average....is that the 8-10 weekers will finish on the longer side of that estimate...but nothing, IMO, is set in stone...especially growing from seed. Each plant exhibits differently within the same pack. (unless they are S-1...then there's far less variation) Some show flowers faster than the others...some don't. At the end of the season the weather definitely dictates the overall picture here. If it gets too cold too early everything goes into stasis and slows wayyyy down/stops...signaling the end. You just won't see a lot more growth...though they will still mature/amber up/etc. and you can leave em to be for weeks....

If it stays warm...like this year....or you trick them like I do by pulling them inside every night/outside in the sun during the day....they will continue to grow a bit....but the main gig I saw was the extra frost. They basically "matured" sitiing there, IMO....they didn't really keep packing on weight. After 11 weeks they started to drop leaf...all over. you could have let em go but @ some point I think it starts to be detrimental.

I've never had the luxury of growing 12 week+ plants outside that someone said were bred for outdoor growth (only?)...but my guess is that they will eventually stop growing/know their time is up when they reach a time period somewhere around their stated end time flower date.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
That's the advantage of growing in containers with DEP.
You can fully control that plant and protect it from environmental changes.
As far as indoor or outdoor seeds are different? BS
Some plants do better inside or outdoor.
You can definitely leave them out too long.
Once the resin stock shrinks to a point, it can no longer support the head. They are done!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Once the resin stock shrinks to a point, it can no longer support the head. They are done!
Except for the fact that if you constantly have new pistillate calyxes popping and they all have brand new trichs with brand new heads and stalks. And they usually hide the progress of the first batch of trichs pretty well.

Whether it was from a plant being bred outdoors or not - inside plants not wanting to finish is a thing, and it's not strain specific. It's more apparent when you are in a living soil system and not "flushing" and making your plant start to degenerate.

D

Deleted member 60

I use the top of the cola to tell me when they are done >growing<. (inside or out) When it "tits"....or forms a nipple like growth that is no longer conical...it's going nowhere from there on girth/weight/etc. The pistils may change >if the plant has that tendency<...the trichs will start to cloud/amber up...and it may fade nicely and color up from there for weeks...but it's done growing for all intensive purposes from my experiences.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Except for the fact that if you constantly have new pistillate calyxes popping and they all have brand new trichs with brand new heads and stalks. And they usually hide the progress of the first batch of trichs pretty well.

Whether it was from a plant being bred outdoors or not - inside plants not wanting to finish is a thing, and it's not strain specific. It's more apparent when you are in a living soil system and not "flushing" and making your plant start to degenerate.
What's the sense waiting on white pistils, when you lose a bunch of your previously mature heads from degradation and fall off from wind disturbance or bumped against, knocking them off?
After a certain point, it's no longer a benefit.
Just my opinion.

Promedz

Zeus
Some ppl feed wrong and will have pistils at week 10 popping out from a 8 week strain: Here is what I learned npk is exactly what the plant wants! The first two weeks they want N. The next 4 weeks they want p and last weeks they want k if you feed like that your plants will finish with no white pistils and ripe buds: win- win: Try it! Watch them finish

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
What's the sense waiting on white pistils,
Did you miss the first part of the conversation? Plants that continuously put out new growth and new white pistils INSTEAD of finishing all at once is the whole issue. And you rarely see it on outdoor plants because the weather changes ensure senescence. Indoor there is typically no "trigger" other than you shifted to 12/12.

If you have a program to, or manually adjust your lights and temps during flower to simulate autumn, then you are way cooler than me. And growing perpetual that isn't an option unless you have several tents that can be at different stages of the year.

The picture that started this had white pistils still popping later in flower. I have had plants do the same. I have noticed that my stuff from breeders I know grow outdoors are more likely to be those plants, but it's not definitive.

When a cross has an 8-9-week mom and an 8-9 week dad (or reversed mom) you expect the kids to go about 8-9 weeks. You'll get outliers and sport plants, but in general that flower time is not gonna change drastically unless you have a variety of genetic inputs. So when that plant is grown 1st generation indoors - and there is no fall with temperature drops and the continuously shortening day - it is not a wild concept that it would take it a generation to acclimatize. The clones would probably finish fine, or her seeds if pollinated.

Again - I put this out as my THEORY. I have anecdotal facts that led me to the theory, but just saying "BS" is counterproductive and kind of childish.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Some ppl feed wrong and will have pistils at week 10 popping out from a 8 week strain: Here is what I learned npk is exactly what the plant wants! The first two weeks they want N. The next 4 weeks they want p and last weeks they want k if you feed like that your plants will finish with no white pistils and ripe buds: win- win: Check my
Right, but that's you doing it, not the plant. In living soil I am adding no additional chelated minerals for the plant to suck up. That's is where it's more the plant doing what it wants to do naturally. I have the NPK in the soil via compost and such, but the plant takes what it wants when it wants through microbial action in the rhizoshpere (root zone)

It's a cool thing for the brain to chew on.

D

Deleted member 60

When do you start bringing them in?

In my parts I start mid July.
Holy fuck. You do need to run autos if that's the case. Here it all depends on the season. This year I went longer than ever. Took most around Oct 15th but messed with those 7 for another 2 weeks. 3 years ago it snowed 18 inches on Sept 8th...and while I drug them in/out for another 3 weeks////the cold weather sent em into stasis and I saw my first PM ever here...so down they came....end of Sept.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Did you miss the first part of the conversation? Plants that continuously put out new growth and new white pistils INSTEAD of finishing all at once is the whole issue. And you rarely see it on outdoor plants because the weather changes ensure senescence. Indoor there is typically no "trigger" other than you shifted to 12/12.

If you have a program to, or manually adjust your lights and temps during flower to simulate autumn, then you are way cooler than me. And growing perpetual that isn't an option unless you have several tents that can be at different stages of the year.

The picture that started this had white pistils still popping later in flower. I have had plants do the same. I have noticed that my stuff from breeders I know grow outdoors are more likely to be those plants, but it's not definitive.

When a cross has an 8-9-week mom and an 8-9 week dad (or reversed mom) you expect the kids to go about 8-9 weeks. You'll get outliers and sport plants, but in general that flower time is not gonna change drastically unless you have a variety of genetic inputs. So when that plant is grown 1st generation indoors - and there is no fall with temperature drops and the continuously shortening day - it is not a wild concept that it would take it a generation to acclimatize. The clones would probably finish fine, or her seeds if pollinated.

Again - I put this out as my THEORY. I have anecdotal facts that led me to the theory, but just saying "BS" is counterproductive and kind of childish.
Some plants just don't know when/how to die under 12/12 because of "equatorial" heritage in their genes.
Have you asked "coco or hydro" growers if they get white hairs late in flower?

D

Deleted member 60

Some plants just don't know when/how to die under 12/12 because of "equatorial" heritage in their genes.
Have you asked "coco or hydro" growers if they get white hairs late in flower?
Think of all of the plants with Skunk #1 in their genetics background and where those landraces came from. White hairs...red hairs...it's all in there and can come out at any time...indoors or out. Fast finishers are drawing on the northern sourced genetics in their background...the longer flowering plants are drawing on the more equatorial/southern traits. I've heard folks claim that subjecting a plant to "cold" (a relative term for where you live...LOL) will make it turn purple. I grow where a warm night is 60F in Summer....and they stay out there until it's freezing/so cold the plant is done. Had 40 plants+ last year out there. Maybe 1/3 of em turned colors. (leaves) The rest stayed green. Very few red hairs anywhere. Lotsa white. Cold as shit at night.

Yup...genetics.

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
Holy fuck. You do need to run autos if that's the case. Here it all depends on the season. This year I went longer than ever. Took most around Oct 15th but messed with those 7 for another 2 weeks. 3 years ago it snowed 18 inches on Sept 8th...and while I drug them in/out for another 3 weeks////the cold weather sent em into stasis and I saw my first PM ever here...so down they came....end of Sept.
Being an outdoor Bubba I agree.
I did six photos in two gal fabric pot to make them easy to move in a single trip and six autos in two gals. The autos dried just fine but the only problem was there was nothing to smoke since I pollinated all of them for a seed increase. I got lots of seeds to play with but no herb. Next year I think I'll take a break from chucking.