Plants not getting enough oxygen

GreenGrower

So I put some seeds in some pure coco with no perlite or anything and they sprouted and we’re looking good but now they’re showing lack of oxygen.
At the time I couldn’t get anything with perlite and I almost wanna do a transplant but they’re only 6 Inches tall.
I’m not sure how to handle this situation, idk how to water without perlite and I’m afraid I’ll just kill them by accident.

GreenGrower

This is my first full grow and I’m only keeping a few so I sacrificed the worst looking one.
They’re slightly wetter than they look because I threw a thin layer of new coco on top in hopes of drying faster. Also they’ve only gotten distilled waterD684BE9A-5A36-400A-8ECA-1AD5852F2199.jpegF8E4705C-A980-4E50-98DF-CFAD23962F28.jpegB3C4FBA3-CF33-40AC-9F85-F402654B8E90.jpeg8E089A27-39E8-41C8-8ACC-70FE69943FA0.jpeg22799C99-B008-4552-AD5F-75AF90BD626C.jpeg7388A3DC-2562-4C32-994D-859D51008A5F.jpeg

Kushash

Insanely Active Member
This is my first full grow and I’m only keeping a few so I sacrificed the worst looking one.
They’re slightly wetter than they look because I threw a thin layer of new coco on top in hopes of drying faster. Also they’ve only gotten distilled waterView attachment 105465View attachment 105466View attachment 105467View attachment 105468View attachment 105469View attachment 105470
They do look dry but it could just be the added coco you mentioned.
Have you been feeding them anything? If you have only given them water then that is likely the 1st issue to resolve, they need to be fed.
Reverse osmosis water would be cheaper than distilled.
If you can answer what you have fed other than water and how often you water I think the coco growers would be able to help you improve your grow.

GreenGrower

They do look dry but it could just be the added coco you mentioned.
Have you been feeding them anything? If you have only given them water then that is likely the 1st issue to resolve, they need to be fed.
Reverse osmosis water would be cheaper than distilled.
If you can answer what you have fed other than water and how often you water I think the coco growers would be able to help you improve your grow.
They haven’t gotten anything beside the water. I usually let them almost completely dry out but when I did water I did a bottom feed type of thing for like 10 minutes each

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I’m thinking wait till they dry out again then start with the nutes
It sounds like you are treating a coco grow like a soil grow and that’s just not going to work well. Coco is inert so you have to feed the plants as soon as the first set of leaves come out. Also, with coco, you really aren’t supposed to let it dry out because the roots get plenty of oxygen in coco.

GreenGrower

It sounds like you are treating a coco grow like a soil grow and that’s just not going to work well. Coco is inert so you have to feed the plants as soon as the first set of leaves come out. Also, with coco, you really aren’t supposed to let it dry out because the roots get plenty of oxygen in coco.
Wow thanks. Now that I think about it I had a soil grow mentality. Time to hit the books

Not Given

Has chucked
They’re slightly wetter than they look because I threw a thin layer of new coco on top in hopes of drying faster. Also they’ve only gotten distilled waterView attachment 105465View attachment 105466View attachment 105467View attachment 105468View attachment 105469View attachment 105470
They appear to be cannabalizing themselves for lack of nutrients. They will pop right back if you feed them.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Like the others have said, they need to be fed nutrients, like NOW! ASAP! Don’t wait for them to dry out. Now. Mix up your nutes an pH them to 5.8.

Also, hopefully one of the coco growers will chime in here again, but I’m certain that you need to “flush” or otherwise prepare the coco before its first use.

GreenGrower

Like the others have said, they need to be fed nutrients, like NOW! ASAP! Don’t wait for them to dry out. Now. Mix up your nutes an pH them to 5.8.

Also, hopefully one of the coco growers will chime in here again, but I’m certain that you need to “flush” or otherwise prepare the coco before its first use.
They’re currently fed but I never prepared the coco. It’s mother earth brand, they say it’s pre-buffered and pH adjusted but I’m not sure honestly

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
They’re currently fed but I never prepared the coco. It’s mother earth brand, they say it’s pre-buffered and pH adjusted but I’m not sure honestly
Take a 250 ml measuring cup add 150 ml of distilled water add coco coir up to the 250 ml let soak for a spell them check the ph strain water out of coco coir and measure EC your ph should be 5.5-5.8 your EC should be 1.1 to 2 tops... I have never used mothers but I have had pre buffered pre washed coco that was loaded with salts seedlings looked just like yours

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member
As I purge another here’s a pic for reference lolView attachment 105478
Just leave them alone, stop looking at the roots, theyll be popping out the bottom in nice thick healthy white hairs when it’s time. You need to feed them around 400ppm rn to start. That’s on top of your starting water ppm. Also your seedlings look like they’ve been through a few ph swings and dry cycles, don’t let the coco dry out, keep them moist, test them by picking them up. Water a plant till you see it running out a bunch then walk away for a bit, come back and see if it stopped shedding water, if it did, pick it up and remember the weight, then you know what a full plant feels like. Pick up all the plants and judge who needs what, when watering always run a bunch out the bottom and dump the saucer afterwards.

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member
Good advice. If you look at the roots you can see about three healthy root tips and the rest are dry, skinny, and no folicles coming off them. Or whatever the little capillary roots are called.

That came from the dryness.
Totally, same with the bottom leaves crisping up, ph swinging up and the ppm rising as well, the substrate became saltier than the plant and the moisture went the other way, starting at the tips, it happened about 5-6 ago I’d guess, then along comes water with no nutrients and the part that is still alive has nothing to work with, nothing gets done above or below substrate. He needs to feed lightly and foilar feed lightly for about 7-10 days. I bet the plants will be ready to transplant at the end of the month, cocos can build up a much larger root mass than most subs. He should start some seeds rn beside them and flower them at the same time and see which ones are better, I’m sure I can guess…

oldsilvertip

Really Active Member
Totally, same with the bottom leaves crisping up, ph swinging up and the ppm rising as well, the substrate became saltier than the plant and the moisture went the other way, starting at the tips, it happened about 5-6 ago I’d guess, then along comes water with no nutrients and the part that is still alive has nothing to work with, nothing gets done above or below substrate. He needs to feed lightly and foilar feed lightly for about 7-10 days. I bet the plants will be ready to transplant at the end of the month, cocos can build up a much larger root mass than most subs. He should start some seeds rn beside them and flower them at the same time and see which ones are better, I’m sure I can guess…
i still take notes ,just to keep from having problems.still try to learn this indoor.