Ph

Streetpro09

Tester
Normally id be one to advocate for old school tech but..... i love my electronic ph meter. So much easier than trying to differentiate colors on a strip of paper.

Not sure how using paper every time is lower cost over time, except the initial investment. The pen uses batteries and calibration fluid. With paper your constantly using test strips. I'd say it's gotta be a close draw between the two for operating cost. Especially if you test/check ph alot.

Idk the simplicity of the pen vs using paper every time and taking the time to compare it to the test/calibration sheet. I'll stick with the electronics for this one but each to their own. ✌

indo00420

indo Lion
I used to get the drops, it was called a ‘narrow range’ kit for aquariums, tested from 5.2 to 6.6. They worked incredibly well and I preferred them to paper but I can’t find them anymore. The paper tests I’m using now is very clear between each colour and there’s 24ft on that role. Plus they’re 100% accurate all the time.. I was replacing Bluelab meters once a year with the amount we use them and we were calibrating and cleaning then constantly. We use a slurry type organic food that mucks up everything.

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member
I take too many readings to use paper, I also make a graph of said readings, I’m not about to do that with paper. I keep my meters in a dual knife belt made for two knives, I think it’s a drywallers hip belt. Also keep a flip pad on me and a temp gun a pair of sharp scissors and a lighter. Anyone that works for me has the same. I never hire anyone that can’t tell there is something up with the readings, ya know sometimes how you know damn well there isn’t enough ppms to buffer your readings? So stop adding whatever balancer you’re using, calibrate, then try it again. 9/10 it’s going to read different.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
I can’t see how strips would save any time. With a meter, it provides a continuous readout so you can tell where you’re at while you’re adjusting pH. With strips, wouldn’t you have to test/adjust/test/adjust/repeat until you got it where you want it?

indo00420

indo Lion
I can’t see how strips would save any time. With a meter, it provides a continuous readout so you can tell where you’re at while you’re adjusting pH. With strips, wouldn’t you have to test/adjust/test/adjust/repeat until you got it where you want it?
The strips save time vs the storage, maintenance and calibration of the tool. And sometimes the blue labs (when they’re more then a few months old) take forever to get a proper reading out of.

bk-og

Moose cocks, or bust
The strips save time vs the storage, maintenance and calibration of the tool. And sometimes the blue labs (when they’re more then a few months old) take forever to get a proper reading out of.
I’ll take the extra minute of wasted time to know my shits accurate and on point. I have 3 bluelab meters, 2 that are almost 3 years old and 1 that’s a few months old. All give me readings within seconds of each other.

Dr Evil

I used to get the drops, it was called a ‘narrow range’ kit for aquariums, tested from 5.2 to 6.6. They worked incredibly well and I preferred them to paper but I can’t find them anymore.
I bought my drops from my local grow-op store but you can find them online. (Amazon.ca has them for $30 CDN for the large bottle)

They are very economical when you buy the large refill bottle....I do believe they are cheaper than the paper test strips

The GH pH drops have a range from 4.0 to 8.5 which is far wider than the types used for aquariums

indo00420

indo Lion
I’ll take the extra minute of wasted time to know my shits accurate and on point. I have 3 bluelab meters, 2 that are almost 3 years old and 1 that’s a few months old. All give me readings within seconds of each other.
I don’t disagree - the extra time calibrating and cleaning is worth it when you own the meters.