Organic Dry Amendments

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
I reuse all my soils but for consistency prefer new stuff indoor. This stuff from TPS has been on my radar for regenerating soil.

I reuse all my soils but for consistency prefer new stuff indoor. This stuff from TPS has been on my radar for regenerating soil.

Not a dry amendment, but that's OK.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Happy Frog® Cavern Culture® Fertilizer - FoxFarm Soil & Fertilizer Company Happy Frog® Cavern Culture® is specially formulated to deliver the nutrition necessary for flowering and bud...
foxfarm.com
foxfarm.com
There is actually 5+ different ones in this line. I used them and had great results compared to using the regular Fox Farms lineup. There are more than 5, but I picked 5 to use. "Jump Start" for seedlings, "All Purpose" and "Tomato and Vegetable" in early flower, and the "Fruit and Flower" later. The Cavern Culture was used most of the grow. The AP and T&V are almost the same NPK ratio and likely only one is needed.

I do reuse it, I just reammend with worm castings and a very small amount of ammendments. I keep it in a tub and add a little diluted warm water molasses mixture every week & turn it over.
What are you using for aeration? Some stuff breaks down. Plus if you're adding EWC it doesn't hurt to add a little extra pumice, lava, or perlite or whatever you're using.

Speaking of dry amendments. I just got a 25# bucket of Kelp today. And a 5# box of DTE 4-4-4 Vegetable to experiment with. I've been using the kelp for awhile. My recroom has been taken over with all the dry amendments and shit I've got.

Last edited:

VAHomegrown

What are you using for aeration? Some stuff breaks down. Plus if you're adding EWC it doesn't hurt to add a little extra pumice, lava, or perlite or whatever you're using.
I do add a couple handfuls rice hulls but nothing major. I switched over to a very coarse perlite last year and it seems to last much longer before I need to reammend with it.

VAHomegrown

Speaking of dry amendments. I just got a 25# bucket of Kelp today. And a 5# box of DTE 4-4-4 Vegetable to experiment with. I've been using the kelp for awhile. My recroom has been taken over with all the dry amendments and shit I've got.
Sounds like you are set up for success, that 25# kelp bucket and 5# DTE will serve you well for a long time. I use kelp as a soil ammendment, make teas and foliars with it. Truly amazing stuff. Alfalfa meal is another I could not live without, but should be used less and less towards late flower as the hormones can often prolong flowering (natural PGR, triacontanol) I also have loads of ammendments on hand, I don't think I can leave a store with a gardening section without picking something up. I like old school, non cannabis marketed stuff.
Less is always better- when I went back to growing using organic soil/ammendments I really had to temper my urge to constantly feed or do something to the plants. Once that soil food web is established they really don't need much more than watering a little carbs and the occasional feeding. I could never go back to the regimen of having to PH correct my water, feed at a certain PPM, and the constant work involved when running synthetic/ bottled nutes. 5-1-1 Alaska fish emulsion and my Humic liquid are the only bottled nutrients I use; the fish emulsion is fantastic for seedlings and as a feed after transplant, the humic gets added to my water every watering.

Sounds like you are set up for success, that 25# kelp bucket and 5# DTE will serve you well for a long time. I use kelp as a soil ammendment, make teas and foliars with it. Truly amazing stuff. Alfalfa meal is another I could not live without, but should be used less and less towards late flower as the hormones can often prolong flowering (natural PGR, triacontanol) I also have loads of ammendments on hand, I don't think I can leave a store with a gardening section without picking something up. I like old school, non cannabis marketed stuff.
Less is always better- when I went back to growing using organic soil/ammendments I really had to temper my urge to constantly feed or do something to the plants. Once that soil food web is established they really don't need much more than watering a little carbs and the occasional feeding. I could never go back to the regimen of having to PH correct my water, feed at a certain PPM, and the constant work involved when running synthetic/ bottled nutes. 5-1-1 Alaska fish emulsion and my Humic liquid are the only bottled nutrients I use; the fish emulsion is fantastic for seedlings and as a feed after transplant, the humic gets added to my water every watering.
I use alfalfa too. I didn't realize about the hormones and flowering. That's good to know. And I just started using humic. Didn't realize I should use it that often. More good info.👍

VAHomegrown

I use alfalfa too. I didn't realize about the hormones and flowering. That's good to know. And I just started using humic. Didn't realize I should use it that often. More good info.👍
Yeah, the alfalfa during flowering is somewhat controversial. Some folks swear by it, others don't recommend it at all. IThe liquid humic is applied at 1/2 tsp/gallon every watering or 1-1.5tsp with feeding. It does lower ph with can cause calcium uptake issues if you use too much.

Yeah, the alfalfa during flowering is somewhat controversial. Some folks swear by it, others don't recommend it at all. IThe liquid humic is applied at 1/2 tsp/gallon every watering or 1-1.5tsp with feeding. It does lower ph with can cause calcium uptake issues if you use too much.
I have the dry stuff, but I haven't used it much yet.