Old Seeds

Cobzilla

Super Active Member
I have seeds from some of the best smoke I have ever had.. I got them in my college days. Was some weed from Indonesia from what I was told. Hard black buds.. The interesting part is that I attended college in 1978..these seeds are forty years old.. Have been in a box in my closet.. Will they germinate.? Only got a few grows under my belt.. Don't want to waste them if there is a hope and a prayer they will grow.. Suggestions?

20160923_170057.jpg

Hydrogen peroxide will help to act as a signaling hormone and clean any spores from the seeds surface.

Some things that I haven't tried, but others do. Folic and humic acid is suppose to help to soften the shell I think. There is a cracking method that maybe someone can chime in about. I guess cracking old seeds allows for them to get water to the embryo and start germination.

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
I believe I read somewhere that you will need to jumpstart the seed as old as his are. They get dried out and need to be reactivated. Depending on how in love you are with the strain,. It would be a real good idea to do some research. You can probably make your own kit yourself. Good luck,. Keep us informed.

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
Hydrogen peroxide will help to act as a signaling hormone and clean any spores from the seeds surface.

Some things that I haven't tried, but others do. Folic and humic acid is suppose to help to soften the shell I think. There is a cracking method that maybe someone can chime in about. I guess cracking old seeds allows for them to get water to the embryo and start germination.
Is the cracking method you are describing just putting it in a matchbox with sandpaper and shaking it to scratch the shell. This allows water to soak through the shell easier.

Armdog

RDWC GROWER

Cobzilla

Super Active Member
Thanks for the video and advice.. i have read about these procedures but still dont feel that confident about it... i will have to try sometime soon.. perhaps after my current grow..

Is the cracking method you are describing just putting it in a matchbox with sandpaper and shaking it to scratch the shell. This allows water to soak through the shell easier.
They are two different methods. The sand paper in match box is old school and I can tell you that works for sure. Cracking is a bit newer I think. I've seen breeders on IG with these hand held crackers they just put the tiniest bit of pressure to crack the seed along the seam. I even ran into an article where a guy said he had been cracking them with his teeth I guess because your mouth is pretty sensitive and he could feel how much pressure to apply a bit better then using your fingers or another tool.

Dope Heffalump

Tip burner
They are two different methods. The sand paper in match box is old school and I can tell you that works for sure. Cracking is a bit newer I think. I've seen breeders on IG with these hand held crackers they just put the tiniest bit of pressure to crack the seed along the seam. I even ran into an article where a guy said he had been cracking them with his teeth I guess because your mouth is pretty sensitive and he could feel how much pressure to apply a bit better then using your fingers or another tool.
I've got a batch of chucks I made last summer, (Lucky 7's x Goblins Gold) Big dark healthy seeds with a couple months of drying. I had zero percent germination without cracking the seeds.
I used tweezers, was super hard. It was like cracking a miniature Brazil nut. The little bastards kept flying out of the tweezers. Could put an eye out!
For every seed I cracked 1 was either crushed or flew away.

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
I was told by Doc to scuff or crack the Triple Purple Rhinos...after soaking them. I've never scuffed nor cracked a seed.I tried both,only got 1 to get above ground thus far.Wasn't really comfortable cracking them with my teeth,I only applied enough pressure to hear a crack,still no tap root popped.I may order one of those seedcrackers for the rest of the packfrom dude on Ig woodshed i think is his name. @WhyteWidow AmIright?