Old Seeds won't Germ

StonedAgeGrower

I would scuff one of them them and soak in 3% h2o2 without diluting it. I have read a couple of papers on how it gives a kick in the pants at germinating. Other than that it sounds you have done the rounds.
Yeah, I have tried doing h2o2 soaks before, 3% and diluted, but no dice.

I've pre-cracked my seeds as well, but didn't seem to make much difference. If I crack em or they crack on their own, they show about 1/4in taproot, then completely stall and die.

I can see the embryos are still white, and "alive" so some sort of rescue/tissue culture may be my only options.

I really do appreciate everyone's help and advice though! Hopefully the info helps someone else crack some old seeds too! I know I can't be the only one sitting on an old treasure trove of beans!

StonedAgeGrower

You can try adding a smaller percentage of auxins to your ga3 solution, as these two pgr's often work synergistically, (based on their ratios) to break seed dormancy.

You could also try using a solution with the inclusion of DMSO. It increases the permeability of the the cells allowing for more solution to enter the embryonic tissue.

If you do attempt to go the tissue culture/micropropagation route a good reference is the book "growing plants from test tubes"

If you can grow shrooms, and have a pressure cooker, you can do it, it's not as difficult as it sounds.
I have had someone else recommend using auxins w a slightly stronger GA3 solution than I was using, but I don't know about the correct ratios...yet.

I remember someone posted on either Overgrow or ICmag back in the day about using DMSO, but never had to try it back then. I'll look into it

Thanks very much for the info!

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
I use DMSO in small doses for a lot of different maladies its very absorbent I could see it used as a catalyst to open things up kill pathogens but would like to see more info on this subject.

This bottle lasts a long time the lids aren't very good and it tipped over on my desk and a puddle seaped out and was a very good varnish remover. Lowers cholesterol 😉

Attachments

Not Given

Has chucked
Hey folks, so here's a little backstory on these beans I found from like 06-08.

I had to stop growing for a bit in 09, and had packed all my seeds in cold storage, aside from a small jar of packs I had misplaced, and just wrote them off. Most were off seedbay back then but a few of my own crosses too.

Moved a few times since then, and when I was cleaning out some boxes last yr, sure enough I found the jar, and theirs some killer stuff.

Over the last yr I've tried to test germ rates with some of them but so far haven't managed to get any to sprout unfortunately. I've tried scuffing, kelp soaks, fulvic acid, h2o2, cold stratification, ga3 in different concentrations, but so far nothing.

Some of these are rare and long since discontinued so I'd hate to lose all these, so I'm looking for any tips anyone might have. At this point I'm willing to try just about anything to save enough of these for a population increase👍

Thanks for any tips folks!
Be sure to watch the medium ph and temperature

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
From what I have picked up, scuffing would be for young seeds with tough shells where all they need is to be able to absorb water to get the plant moving.

The older seeds main issue isn't gonna be absorbing water, it's gonna be the plant having the vigor to bust out after the water has been absorbed. This is where a seed cracker might help it along, or where some type of enzyme enhancement will give it the extra energy it needs to get out.

Vee

Ancient Member
Hey folks, so here's a little backstory on these beans I found from like 06-08.

I had to stop growing for a bit in 09, and had packed all my seeds in cold storage, aside from a small jar of packs I had misplaced, and just wrote them off. Most were off seedbay back then but a few of my own crosses too.

Moved a few times since then, and when I was cleaning out some boxes last yr, sure enough I found the jar, and theirs some killer stuff.

Over the last yr I've tried to test germ rates with some of them but so far haven't managed to get any to sprout unfortunately. I've tried scuffing, kelp soaks, fulvic acid, h2o2, cold stratification, ga3 in different concentrations, but so far nothing.

Some of these are rare and long since discontinued so I'd hate to lose all these, so I'm looking for any tips anyone might have. At this point I'm willing to try just about anything to save enough of these for a population increase👍

Thanks for any tips folks!
Viability is all in the storage...no freezer no chance.. but you can still backcross with the new stuff

good luck

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
You might try sticking them in a bag of warm, wet sand and rubbing the shit out of them. You could make some solution from bean sprouts or Alphalfa sprouts and soak them in the solution from the sprouts. There are hormones in the sprouts that will help them along once they pop.
Just a suggestion.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
From what I have picked up, scuffing would be for young seeds with tough shells where all they need is to be able to absorb water to get the plant moving.

The older seeds main issue isn't gonna be absorbing water, it's gonna be the plant having the vigor to bust out after the water has been absorbed. This is where a seed cracker might help it along, or where some type of enzyme enhancement will give it the extra energy it needs to get out.
I agree to a point when I skuff old seeds I hit the edges of the seed which helps them breakout some of the old seeds I have messed with had hard shells that wouldn't respond without some skuffing for me to much warmth has also caused more failure once the sprouts jump open they stall even if they hit the media....

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I agree to a point when I skuff old seeds I hit the edges of the seed which helps them breakout some of the old seeds I have messed with had hard shells that wouldn't respond without some skuffing for me to much warmth has also caused more failure once the sprouts jump open they stall even if they hit the media....
I have had a few that were too shallow so when the pointy end was up the taproot hit air and died. I think they stuck to the tweezersn which usually sink them to the right depth.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I think the old seed get hard and brittle from being dried out for so many years. Like dried out clay, it takes a number of days for the water to actually penetrate the shell. Maybe some kind of "surfactant" added to the water could possible help, or might do the opposite.
I still say warm, wet sand in a bag with the seed. Let them sprout right in the aggregate.
Anything is worth a try once.