Nutrient Film Technique (NFT)

Bc_ca

Super Active Member
I've used NFT as a main hydro technique a few times. It's what I started on. However, I ran open, sloped, recirculating tables.

If I did it again for some reason I probably wouldn't use a system with tubes like the one above but I would add a woven fabric mat to the NFT table.
Hi Scjedi ,
I came across a YouTube channel from a couple over in oregan. He built his sluicing
Nutrient flood table I think it's quite smart actually just as you stated the matting material for rooting from rockwool is critical just as he discovered and as well to cover the whole exposed rooting bed full length of the sluicing nutrient flood table.
Brilliantly a much slower paced version of Rdwc system but with a 3hr pause between 5 min sluicing periods of 90 gallons of water over (2) 16 ft self made from wood tables which are lined fed from same Rez to table and drained with a 3 inch drop makes my smile as a gold prospector 🤠⚒

Bc_ca

Super Active Member
4x8 Sluicing NFTable mobile 1kw led & scrog mounted all one unit.
Construction is 4x4 x8post/2x6x8rails
1/2 x4x8 maple hardwood bed
Botanicare 4"x46"x96" black NFTRay
HLG 550 V2 Rspec 1000w rated led
bottom of tray to light highest elevation 6ft
Light must be 2ft away (max plant height 48")
This puts my veg height @ 12" required
the flip to flower x 2 would be 36"
Leaves a 12" wtf buffer for those surprises.
growing HB genetics only medium -tall strains for the SNFTable.

HB tall genetics get the HB Rdwc 4 gal buckets,
2" pipe, center to center length 23" / width ways 25"
bucket system mobile with 1000w led & scrog as well.

Used 165lb 360 swivel caster locking/unlocking wheels red.

Bc_ca

Super Active Member
This is ebb and flow, not NFT. Lots of people still use ebb and flow. I'm pretty sure that HydroRed has a small DIY ebb and flow build guide here somewhere.
I thought NFT is using a slope to provide an slightly accelerate water thru the grow which returns back to
The Rez. I saw the guys verifying slope and side to side level on their tray. As matter of importance the reason they don’t use a filament layer is that they are sweeping water across the bottom of the tray accelerated to cause rippling effects to break the surface tension to induce higher dissolved oxygen if possible. That to me seems more film oriented than running water through 1/4 - 1/2 diameter of pipe which I guess works great for clones. Their weekly documented Nutrient Flood table went from clone to harvest pretty impressive plant growth across the whole table and at the end still just marginal root growth yet great visually veg & bud production at end of grow. I really was blown away by plant spacing! To me it looks like a 12’ ft table with 29 plants ! They grew right on top the feed and drain points as well . Makes me wanna rethink 10 plant in a 4x8.
Heisen stated he thought popping 6 seeds Of a strain at once to find fire.
I guess I’m ass backwards thinking pop 14 HB strains 1 seed each see what
Seedlings Grows and vegs take cuts to veg and flower on the NFT table.
Everything happens just as it is intended & expressed . We choose the how what when where &why by our own perspective. Pop 1 pop 6 it’s all the experience I guess 😊🌺 may your grows be awesome🙌🌺

Last edited:

SCJedi

Synergist
Yah, I didn't look at the other videos but the fact that video said ebb and flow and the dude in it said ebb and flow it's hard to tell with panda cloth pulled over the 4x8. Typically people stretch that over for NFT. I never have but I run a stupidly clean environment. I also have never run a filament mat but would be curious to try is sometime.

They do make a couple of awkward comments (other than not knowing which plants are what strain), like "drinking up the juices", and calling a strain a "breed".

This is the way I prefer to do NFT. 4x8 tray with 6-8 plants per tray. I promise you that doesn't sound like a lot but I can get stalks fatter than a quarter in 4-5 weeks of veg. 6-8 plants will fill a 4x8 like a jungle. Clones, not seed.

curious2garden

Really Active Member
I thought NFT is using a slope to provide an slightly accelerate water thru the grow which returns back to
The Rez. I saw the guys verifying slope and side to side level on their tray. As matter of importance the reason they don’t use a filament layer is that they are sweeping water across the bottom of the tray accelerated to cause rippling effects to break the surface tension to induce higher dissolved oxygen if possible. That to me seems more film oriented than running water through 1/4 - 1/2 diameter of pipe which I guess works great for clones. Their weekly documented Nutrient Flood table went from clone to harvest pretty impressive plant growth across the whole table and at the end still just marginal root growth yet great visually veg & bud production at end of grow. I really was blown away by plant spacing! To me it looks like a 12’ ft table with 29 plants ! They grew right on top the feed and drain points as well . Makes me wanna rethink 10 plant in a 4x8.
Heisen stated he thought popping 6 seeds Of a strain at once to find fire.
I guess I’m ass backwards thinking pop 14 HB strains 1 seed each see what
Seedlings Grows and vegs take cuts to veg and flower on the NFT table.
Everything happens just as it is intended & expressed . We choose the how what when where &why by our own perspective. Pop 1 pop 6 it’s all the experience I guess 😊🌺 may your grows be awesome🙌🌺

If you flood the table and there is time between water fills it's ebb and flow. If you are constantly running nutrient down a closed channel it's nutrient film technology. Really doesn't matter what you call it LOL if it works for your great because that is all that matters!