Not sure if this is a dumb question, but...Do newly rooted clones have apical dominance?

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I've googled this, but can't seem to find an answer, and I'm new to cloning so here's my question...

If I top a large plant for the first time, and use cuttings from the side stems and main stem to root into clones, will any of those cuttings grow with apical dominance, or will they evenly distribute growth across all the new side stems?

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
I've googled this, but can't seem to find an answer, and I'm new to cloning so here's my question...

If I top a large plant for the first time, and use cuttings from the side stems and main stem to root into clones, will any of those cuttings grow with apical dominance, or will they evenly distribute growth across all the new side stems?
That's a good question I'll be listening

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I would say yes....when I have grown clones out without topping, you can easily see other branches are much thicker and more developed then other stems. I had to snip and bend a few stems in my current clones to get the plant even again.
View attachment 64974
Pretty interesting. I'll have to keep track of the clones I have going now and see how they grow. I'm curious to see if the tip of the main stem grows with a more agressive apical dominance as the clones I grew from the side stems off of the main stem.