Mycorrhizal Inoculants, anyone use them?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I use Xtreme Gardening Mykos Wettable Powder and a 12Oz bag lasts forever. It's WAY cheaper than Rhize Up, too. Xtreme is $1.91/Oz versus $12.00/Oz for Rhize Up on Amazon.

pretty much any other brand will be cheaper LOL

D

Deleted member 60

This is where I've gone for 20+ years for bennies and all around goodness.

https://horticulturalalliance.com/product/eco-vam-endo-fine

<<<<<<<check the spore counts on this product compared to some of the hydro shop/weed related gank fests. Lotsa sawdust/cat litter (LOL)/talc in most commercial versions/versions with cutesy names/etc. This is like uncut cocaine for you plants...LOL.... all ran through the Deering into an uber fine powder....LOL.

This is also good stuff. Makes a tea. Like "Recharge" on steroids. https://horticulturalalliance.com/product/biorush-organic. If you brew it watch out for the foam. The yucca really sets it off.

VAHomegrown

I run in soil using non organic nutrients. I use and highly recommend DynoMyco. The root growth is astounding. I use it when transplanting into the five gallon air pots. I notice a huge difference in the number of roots coming out the bottom of the pot, after only a week. I'm sure the non organic nutes kill off any of the active spores, but I use all organic feed until the plant is well established in the larger pot (2-3 weeks for good root development before the hot nutrients) I will try and find a picture of the massive root growth coming out of an airpot I had. It looked like a hydro root ball, very healthy. They eventually air prune and the tips stop at the water pan. I notice a big difference in my tomatoes and ghost peppers that had their roots and soil coated before transplant as well.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I run in soil using non organic nutrients. I use and highly recommend DynoMyco. The root growth is astounding. I use it when transplanting into the five gallon air pots. I notice a huge difference in the number of roots coming out the bottom of the pot, after only a week. I'm sure the non organic nutes kill off any of the active spores, but I use all organic feed until the plant is well established in the larger pot (2-3 weeks for good root development before the hot nutrients) I will try and find a picture of the massive root growth coming out of an airpot I had. It looked like a hydro root ball, very healthy. They eventually air prune and the tips stop at the water pan. I notice a big difference in my tomatoes and ghost peppers that had their roots and soil coated before transplant as well.
I use VAM endo mix and have seen good results as well. I don't dust the roots though. I put about a 1/4tsp in the transplant pot and stir it into that top layer of the soil the rootball will set in, then another 1/4tsp in the soil I am topping it off with so it gets around the sides. I think any company that produices a decent product and preserves it well for shipping would be good though. I don't think 'good' brands matter so much as ones to stay away from.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I put the powder in a small prescription bottle and drilled holes in the cap so I can dust roots like a salt shaker. When I'm not using it I screw the cap on over a piece of plastic wrap to keep the moisture out of it.
I have used a soft bristle paintbrush to dust the roots before - just tapping it, not painting with it - but I saw no extra benefit dusting over mixing it in the soil. As soon as those roots start moving they keep finding it. And it's easier for me since I can do it in preparation for re-potting instead of another step during the repot. I can prep all the soil and have it ready.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
Non organic nutes can coexist with beneficials both bacteria and fungi. They are just raw salts that support life. Put a feeding in a cup stick it outside. Check it in a week. Probably be a small ecosystem in it lol. Hydro systems that rely on PVC style setups dont favor live systems bc of gunk etc when not done perfect and always at the end.