Mycorrhizal Inoculants, anyone use them?

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
Just curious to see if any of the organic growers around here use this stuff. When I see the application instructions, it says to apply to the root ball or around the hole being transplanted into... couldn't you just mix this stuff in to your soil and derive the same benefits? If you do use them, any brands to recommend? Or is it just snake oil?

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
It's not snake oil at all, it is a mutual symbiotic association between a fungus and some plants (including cannabis). I get it in powder form, and sprinkle it in the indents I plant in during transplant, and the plants love it. I just don't use it on plants that had just sprouted because I've applied too much before and the mycorrhizae grew around the small sprout and killed it. Here's some info about how how it works from a non-promotional point of view.

k0rps

grows her
Mycorrhizae needs to be within reach of roots for inoculation. Within a few weeks a colony forms below and visible healthy growth can be seen above. Heavy use of phosphates inhibit it's activity, so its recommended to start early in veg/transplant before flowering.
Colony builds symbiosis, seeking nutrients throughout the soil then feeds roots. Adding healthy bacteria will help build diversity in a living soil. A simple solution would be adding Recharge, good stuff. Bacteria, some mycos and kelp and molasses to feed bacteria.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have no clue if it works or not (most people probably don't really) but I have the FF Rhize Up that I use in watering for seedlings, and for dusting the soil at transplant.

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
I use URB, not cheap, but bout half capful per gallon in promix.shit works, bit more things in it I see. I'm a believer. Also used great white in past with noticeable results.

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
I use URB, not cheap, but bout half capful per gallon in promix.shit works, bit more things in it I see. I'm a believer. Also used great white in past with noticeable results.
URB does look interesting, but man their website colors just fried my eyeballs like I was staring at blurples.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I have no clue if it works or not (most people probably don't really) but I have the FF Rhize Up that I use in watering for seedlings, and for dusting the soil at transplant.
I use Xtreme Gardening Mykos Wettable Powder and a 12Oz bag lasts forever. It's WAY cheaper than Rhize Up, too. Xtreme is $1.91/Oz versus $12.00/Oz for Rhize Up on Amazon.