Miracle-Gro Performance Organics

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I have to say that I was really hesitant to buy this, but I couldn’t find anything else that seemed suitable for starting seeds at the store I went to, so I gave it a shot. When I filled the pots up it was pretty wet out of the bag and I thought that this stuff was going to be a nightmare and that it was going to hold too much moisture. It actually turned out to be the opposite. When I water it the water pretty much flows right through it but it holds on to enough water to where it needs to be watered every 2-3 days and the seedlings seem to love it. Just wanted to let you all know in case you’ve been looking for some decent seed starting soil. Never thought I’d be recommending anything from Miracle-Gro
EC274F8D-DF75-4DD0-AC71-491AED2B645F.jpeg

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I have to say that I was really hesitant to buy this, but I couldn’t find anything else that seemed suitable for starting seeds at the store I went to, so I gave it a shot. When I filled the pots up it was pretty wet out of the bag and I thought that this stuff was going to be a nightmare and that it was going to hold too much moisture. It actually turned out to be the opposite. When I water it the water pretty much flows right through it but it holds on to enough water to where it needs to be watered every 2-3 days and the seedlings seem to love it. Just wanted to let you all know in case you’ve been looking for some decent seed starting soil. Never thought I’d be recommending anything from Miracle-Gro
View attachment 121388
thanks for bein the tester on this one!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'll be the devil's advocate here. Yes, they may have realized they need to bow to the needs of the weed market - and that's all this is - but

Fuck tha man!

You are still donating to Satan himself ag-wise.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'll dig dirt from the back yard and sift it and do what I can before I go that route.

But that's just me

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I'll dig dirt from the back yard and sift it and do what I can before I go that route.

But that's just me
hell i get the runoff from the corn/bean/know it runs right to the creek thru my backyard,i've heard there is a place that has no hunting because of deer with toxic levels (dont remember if it was heavy metal or something else) in their body. coming to a place near you,soon!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
This isn’t marketed to the weed market. I picked it up at Lowes.
I get that you got it at lowes. They didn't all of a sudden think that organic stuff was a good thing. They've been doing this shit since WWII. Weed starts getting legal, home grows are on the rise, and youtube tells even the newb-est grower to stay away from Miracle-No. They are excluded from this new and growing market because of their Monsanto (or whomever) partnership that add's the timed-release urine to their soil mixes.

You think they don't have marketing research teams? Probably found a few gubmin't programs they can draw from using that OMRI bullshit label. And they can sell their $8 sack of potting soil for $16 by REMOVING the shit they were paying extra to add? 😂

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I've bought plenty of soil at hardware stores over the years and you can't beat the simplicity. But now I can get most stuff from my worm bins, or the inputs I get for the bins either new or in various stages of decomposition. I try and get well sourced single ingredients like rice hulls, peat moss, and build-a-soil is a good resource. But if their product doesn't have free shipping you're gonna pay dearly - so stuff like peat, coco, rice hulls, etc. I have to hunt around through what's available at the time.

If you use weed-quality inputs for the bins then your nutes are taken care of, and your castings, seed-starter, and potting soil are only separated by the sift grade. Mixing your own is much better in the long run but you need storage to buy in bulk for it to work the best. Like, a three cubic foot sack of peat will last me a year or more doing the small grow thing.

But if I do buy something I will not buy from the "big name" guys.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I've bought plenty of soil at hardware stores over the years and you can't beat the simplicity. But now I can get most stuff from my worm bins, or the inputs I get for the bins either new or in various stages of decomposition. I try and get well sourced single ingredients like rice hulls, peat moss, and build-a-soil is a good resource. But if their product doesn't have free shipping you're gonna pay dearly - so stuff like peat, coco, rice hulls, etc. I have to hunt around through what's available at the time.

If you use weed-quality inputs for the bins then your nutes are taken care of, and your castings, seed-starter, and potting soil are only separated by the sift grade. Mixing your own is much better in the long run but you need storage to buy in bulk for it to work the best. Like, a three cubic foot sack of peat will last me a year or more doing the small grow thing.

yes it takes so teaching for me to catch on!

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin

Jesus, man, I bought a 6 liter bag because I couldn’t find anything else suitable that day. I’m not single-handedly keeping Monsanto (who is actually Bayer now) in business or even a blip on their sales radar.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Jesus, man, I bought a 6 liter bag because I couldn’t find anything else suitable that day. I’m not single-handedly keeping Monsanto (who is actually Bayer now) in business or even a blip on their sales radar.
I said I have done the same - and I also said I was gonna play the Devils advocate. I am hoping that people consider it as a last resort instead of just the easy way out.

You did a product endorsement. It works better than you expected. Awesome. I would just rather not see everyone switching to it because it's cheaper, easier, handy because it's near the aloe plants in the grocery store :rolleyes: etc. and I gave my reasons why and a possible alternative.