JustAnotherGrower

JAG

My old strain (F20+) is easy but drifting into longer and longer flower times. And Michigan summers are growing shorter. I suddenly cant afford to heat the lean-to greenhouse anymore. The new "strains" are more challenging, So I'm here looking for new tricks and faster strains to grow. Before I grow to much older.

My old strain (F20+) is easy but drifting into longer and longer flower times. And Michigan summers are growing shorter. I suddenly cant afford to heat the lean-to greenhouse anymore. The new "strains" are more challenging, So I'm here looking for new tricks and faster strains to grow. Before I grow to much older.
Welcome. Look through the strain review section. There's many strains with short flowering times. Enjoy.

JAG

Welcome to paradise! :D

What strain are you running there and what has the flower period changed from?
From back in 1994. It was Northern Lights, Plus bag weed that was "lose thai" The "thai" was hermy, But real potent. It took 5-6 years to select out the hermy traits, All this time later and its got two phenos. A purple or green, that can be skunk or fruit. back in the day it would finish outside by mid oct. Now its late November to December, longest was dec 18. Once stabilized it had a short pine tree shape. That changed to a monster that needs support sometime in 2005 - 2006.

I start in feb in closet. Force sex to show in march/april. Select the ones that show first. Put the females outside and the first two males to show get pruned to next to nothing and put together in a container. Force them (males) again starting in late july, Put the container in a barrel (just go out at 6pm put the lid on and after dark remove it) I have pollen for mid/late august. I hit the females in late august when they start showing. Then get lots of down stem seeds. That also seemed to kick off full bloom mode.

Chickens occupy the area outside the green house. They are the only noots I use and some collected rain water. Its still the best weed I have. Since Legalized I have bought and tried others. This years drought and extreme heat cost me dearly as there is almost complete failure. With exception of two volunteers. My stuff (JAG) crossed with ILGM, Durban Poison that was not DP but some Indica.

JAG

Welcome! What is the linage of your "old strain", I may have something that can correct that flowering time without changing the plant structure and taste.
I am not sure exactly. A good friend (before he went on forced vacation) 1994Jag2019.jpgJag2019.jpg gave me the seeds and told me about the hermy trait of one of the bottles, the other he said was Northern Lights Afghani that would work/finish here, I truly have know real clue where either of them originated BUT their clean since way back then and the "nl/afghani did finish well on time. Then the next year(2) so did the offspring, But hermy everywhere. I just let em do their thing and collected seed that I pollinated. From show first (forced) males and females. The next years I destroyed all hermy plants and that was most of them at first and after a couple years that changed. And only kept the low stem seed, pollinated early in the cycle from plants that were female and male from start... rinse and repeat. Been doing that ever since.

I think that makes sense maybe not. Any q's ask...

JAG

Welcome! What is the linage of your "old strain", I may have something that can correct that flowering time without changing the plant structure and taste.
What did you have in mind?

One thing forgotten was JAG was a two harvest plant, one just before Halloween and another just after Thanksgiving.
If I chop out the bottom its still to far into November for me now.
TIA

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
What did you have in mind?

One thing forgotten was JAG was a two harvest plant, one just before Halloween and another just after Thanksgiving.
If I chop out the bottom its still to far into November for me now.
TIA
Did you reserve any seed throughout the years? If so back cross it, Otherwise I would hunt a Northern Lights or Skunk #1 that fits your structure and has a similar taste profile to add back some of that vigor you are loosing. After doing all the work to lessen the hermie trait I would think you would want to preserve the line. You said the taste profile is skunk or fruit, can you elaborate a little more into the smells and flavors

JAG

Did you reserve any seed throughout the years? If so back cross it, Otherwise I would hunt a Northern Lights or Skunk #1 that fits your structure and has a similar taste profile to add back some of that vigor you are loosing. After doing all the work to lessen the hermie trait I would think you would want to preserve the line. You said the taste profile is skunk or fruit, can you elaborate a little more into the smells and flavors
Yes, actually have some from most every year. Tried to germ some from 2001 in 2017. Still has the bit of oil when crushed on a flat surface. Went funky before cracking. I have some in a jar in the freezer from 2011 and 2014. ill try again. Real problem is heating the space, We cant afford it anymore.
Maybe "teeth" out some groats and try them. :) Is there a pure strain of ruderallis(sp?) it might be fun to do a cross like that.

As for actual taste and smell; i just dried it bone dry. compressed it into pint jars stick in the freezer for iso hash. quick wash...
Only as of late that im learning about squish and stiikygreens washing machine trick (we tried that last year works to good) ill be freezing alive from now on.

Got some beans from new420guy early skunk, they all cracked and forced but couldn't handle the heat in the GH and were ruined before I realized it. total loss. Sad snipping the two males. I converted a bedroom to a grow area (kids are grown and on their own) and last night 2 sour60 (new420guy) cracked and did the flip into the air. So many options/ways to go now its fascinating. Thanks J.James any other suggestions will be attempted.

JAG

Hi everybody, Its day 26 for my Sour60 autos and the soil is getting dry. So for the first time ever I have to down the PH of my well and or rain water. Can i use vinegar? I have a bit of sulpheric, HCl and nitric. Hanna says 7.8.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I converted a bedroom to a grow area (kids are grown and on their own) and last night 2 sour60 (new420guy) cracked and did the flip into the air.
I have a bedroom converted, but I have tents in it and the closet rigged for growing. Inside is definitely easier to manage temps. I think having smaller areas in the room makes it easier. Controlling mini-environments, and I can have them on different light cycles.

The equipment cost for that is whatever you make it, ventillation is the big one. Mine started cheapo/DIY and progressed as I could afford it.