Is there a seed shortage?

bobross

I've been shopping around lately searching for a new low odor strain to grow and more than half of the seeds seems to be out of stock? I can find seeds, but I cant help wondering why so many strains seem to be out of stock. I just got back from Herbies, and Seedsman and the inventory seems quite low.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I've been shopping around lately searching for a new low odor strain to grow and more than half of the seeds seems to be out of stock? I can find seeds, but I cant help wondering why so many strains seem to be out of stock. I just got back from Herbies, and Seedsman and the inventory seems quite low.
Where are you shopping?

Some seedbanks don't update sites after they sell oput of something even if the breeder isn't making any more. So on the face it looks like they have 100 breeders but as you dive into it they have 20 breeders with seeds in stock, and half of those only have a few packs left. But it makes their "storefront" look good to have such a wide selection. Then you think "Oh shit, better buy quick!"

I have bought from a few and so far Dagga Gardens has been legit. Freeborn (Mean Gene) is a good example. There have been Sky Cuddler Kush listed at seedsherenow since they were first released and they sold out the next day, over a year ago. On Dagga when they sold out of a drop the breeder was gone from the shopping list unless he still had other seeds still available.

Breeders - Dagga Garden

bobross

Where are you shopping?

Some seedbanks don't update sites after they sell oput of something even if the breeder isn't making any more. So on the face it looks like they have 100 breeders but as you dive into it they have 20 breeders with seeds in stock, and half of those only have a few packs left. But it makes their "storefront" look good to have such a wide selection. Then you think "Oh shit, better buy quick!"

I have bought from a few and so far Dagga Gardens has been legit. Freeborn (Mean Gene) is a good example. There have been Sky Cuddler Kush listed at seedsherenow since they were first released and they sold out the next day, over a year ago. On Dagga when they sold out of a drop the breeder was gone from the shopping list unless he still had other seeds still available.

Breeders - Dagga Garden
I've been browsing at Herbies, Seedsman, Nirvana, Barney's as well as a few others.

Here is an example....Many of the strains I'm looking for have been out of stock for a while. (Blue Mystic as an example) and it seems to be getting worse.

https://www.seedsman.com/us-en/cannabis-seed-breeders/seedsman?page=6

And here is Herbies, more than half of the list is out of stock...

https://herbiesheadshop.com/collections/low-odor

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I've been browsing at Herbies, Seedsman, Nirvana, Barney's as well as a few others.

Here is an example....Many of the strains I'm looking for have been out of stock for a while. (Blue Mystic as an example) and it seems to be getting worse.

https://www.seedsman.com/us-en/cannabis-seed-breeders/seedsman?page=6

And here is Herbies, more than half of the list is out of stock...

https://herbiesheadshop.com/collections/low-odor
Looking for a specific strain you should look for who is credited with breeding that strain and work backwards. See if you can determine what seedbanks that breeder supplied directly.

Also - any of the overseas banks are pretty suspect now. Especially if they have everything in stock. They get a sack of "haze-ish" beans that can fill 12 strains orders if they run out of one, Afghani-ish ones, etc. You may get legit genetics but they aren't what you thought you were buying. Plus there's the issue with getting stuff through customs. The US Postal system doesn't care what gets shipped. You should get your package. From overseas there's still a chance of them being siezed as "agricultural" products from another country even if they aren't culled for being cannabis seeds.

If you look through the link I sent you'll find well known breeders and newbs, but it's all in stock. Use the research you did on what "low odor" strains you want then search at a different bank.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
IMO searching for low odor is fine, but all weed stinks to some extent. I would concentrate on fantastic smoke that gets you really high so you don't need as much - and odor control from mechanical means instead of a no-stink plant. Not sure I'd want to be smoking on weed with no terps.

bobross

IMO searching for low odor is fine, but all weed stinks to some extent. I would concentrate on fantastic smoke that gets you really high so you don't need as much - and odor control from mechanical means instead of a no-stink plant. Not sure I'd want to be smoking on weed with no terps.
I'm one of those "stealth" growers, one small plant at a time and nobody knows. The low odor strains I've already grown are very smelly in flower, but had no odor at all until around week 6 flower. The white widow I'm growing now might be risky, it already stinks like weed with 5 weeks of veg.....

I'm starting to wonder if they mean Low Odor during veg? Both Durban Poison and Northern Lights got very stinky late flower, but had no smell at all in Veg.

Yes, I'd love to grow some OG Kush or GSC (personal favorites) but am afraid of the smell. I'm woking on a solution now, we'll see.

Slowdrawl

PICK YOUR OWN
Not sure I'd want to be smoking on weed with no terps.
Exactly!
I know this is easier said that done! You gotta step up your game.
If your gonna grow pot indoors, you have to have adequate filtration.
It's not cheap to get quality fans and filters but it's part of the game.
I've got a 2x4 in a small storage room 7x9', can't smell a thing.
6" intake duct fan, 4" carbon filter with adj speed exhaust fan.
Cost around $200 or so.
Maintaining slight negative pressure is the key.

bobross

Looking for a specific strain you should look for who is credited with breeding that strain and work backwards. See if you can determine what seedbanks that breeder supplied directly.

Also - any of the overseas banks are pretty suspect now. Especially if they have everything in stock. They get a sack of "haze-ish" beans that can fill 12 strains orders if they run out of one, Afghani-ish ones, etc. You may get legit genetics but they aren't what you thought you were buying. Plus there's the issue with getting stuff through customs. The US Postal system doesn't care what gets shipped. You should get your package. From overseas there's still a chance of them being siezed as "agricultural" products from another country even if they aren't culled for being cannabis seeds.

If you look through the link I sent you'll find well known breeders and newbs, but it's all in stock. Use the research you did on what "low odor" strains you want then search at a different bank.
Thanks, good info and thanks for the link, I'm checking it out now. Maybe I'll take some time to research a new seed bank. Seedsman seemed OK to me, I bought 5 Nirvana Northern Lights and they tossed in 3 Durban Poison and 3 White Widow for free. I germinate one seed at a time and all of the seeds have popped for me.

Looking for : (all listed as "low odor or as I like to say lower odor".)

If none of those work out, I could be very happy growing Northern Lights only, I love it.

Master Kush (High Rise)
Hindu Kush
Afghani Kush
Blue Mystic
Green Crack
White Rhino
King Tut (Tutankhamen)
Green Ninja
NLX White Widow.

bobross

Exactly!
I know this is easier said that done! You gotta step up your game.
If your gonna grow pot indoors, you have to have adequate filtration.
It's not cheap to get quality fans and filters but it's part of the game.
I've got a 2x4 in a small storage room 7x9', can't smell a thing.
6" intake duct fan, 4" carbon filter with adj speed exhaust fan.
Cost around $200 or so.
Maintaining slight negative pressure is the key.
Negative pressure --- Check (and tested with incense)
AC Afinity 4 inch fan/ 4 inch filter-- Check. (may move up to 6 inch filter, but space is tight.)
No odor at all Through veg and the first 5 weeks of flower-- Check....

Around week 7 its very faint, but the smell is coming through. My wife came down and said "it smells like weed" in week 9 of flower with my last grow. I laughed it off (but wasnt laughing in the inside)....

I think I need to get some type of really big fan to ventilate my entire laundry room outside. I'm researching options now, but I dont really understand HVAC etc.... It might get expensive.

I may add another 4 inch intake hole per a recomendation of a grower here, but it seems that would only lessen the negative pressure. And finally I may add another carbon filter outside my grow cabinet for an aditional scrub.

Odor is my biggest obstacle at the moment... (or root aphids, one of the two, they both suck)...

_DSC5069 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

bobross

Kinda got off track, its not my imagination all, a lot of the seedbanks I'm shopping at seem to be out of stock on many items. I've been watching for a while and it seems to be getting worse.

It could also be that I'm looking for strains that nobody wants, or there are others out there looking for low odor strains and they are selling out.

Quick story, I was camping in Virginia and I offered a really good cigar to a fellow camper. He pulled out a big glass gallon jar of buds and pulled out a few buds for me to sample. F ME !!!! Those buds were so smelly that they stunk up my campsite OUTDOORS !!!! There is no way I could get away growing something like that. Thank god for Northern Lights and Durban Poison. Still smelly, but not like some of that crazy stuff you all grow !

Yes, I am growing legally as well. No worries about the law, but I still need the odor down. Someday I might get to grow OG Kush or GSC, my favorites, but not for now.

bobross

Northern Lights (I'm smoking these buds now with my trusty little lidded wood pipe.) You gotta have a lid on your pipe if you want an odorless smoke. I smoke downstairs and nobody knows. (smoke buddy, incense and a lidded bowl to cover up after hitting)... So far so good. Been at this for a couple of years. (also vape with an arizer solo)

_DSC4268.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Northern Lights (I'm smoking these buds now with my trusty little lidded wood pipe.) You gotta have a lid on your pipe if you want an odorless smoke. I smoke downstairs and nobody knows. (smoke buddy, incense and a lidded bowl to cover up after hitting)... So far so good. Been at this for a couple of years. (also vape with an arizer solo)

View attachment 127093
You're 16 aren't ya LOL

bobross

You're 16 aren't ya LOL
I wish ! Now that you mention it, when I was 16 I was hiding my weed from my parents, now I'm hiding it from my children. (teenagers) I'm kinda tired of the hiding.

I'll have to post a video of how redicoulous an old guy like me looks using a sploofy and a bathroom fan to smoke herbs. God how I'd love to just smoke a bowl in my living room without rushing and hiding.

Side note: I'm almost 60 years old and took a 30 year tolerance break until just a few years ago. The weed today is amazing ! Life is good, almost too good. (I get way too high all the time). Back in the 80's you could smoke a couple of joints, no big deal. Now, you take a few puffs and are totally F'ed !

Last edited:

bobross

Are you in a state where it’s not legal? I’m not a stoner who smokes daily but I don’t hide it from anybody anymore. I think it’s a healthier lifestyle than alcohol so I try to normalize it as much as I can.
I'm in a legal state, but there is still some "grey area" for me until its legalized federally, I'm basically being overy careful is all and keeping everything low key for now. Also, as a parent its a bit intersting. I dont want want my kids "experimenting" quite yet and I'm supposed to be a role model.

I'm a recovering alcoholic, that stuff is bad news for some of us, it almost killed me. I smoke a little weed at night thats it. Oddly, I dont enjoy weed during the day, It takes away my drive and energy, (even Sativas) --

One small bowl at night is good for me. I do pull my bong out from time to time, but more rarely these days. its good system, my weed last longer and my tolerance stays low.

bobross

I wish I could do that in my neck of the woods but prohibition-land keeps me in the closet. Maybe someday

Congratulations on winning the fight with booze @bobross I've lost friends to the bottle and it wasn't a pleasant end.
Thanks, I was drinking a bottle of Vodka a day (I only kept one in my house so I would run out). I quit cold turkey and it took me about a month to get back to normal, cold sweats, hot sweats, drenched in sweat, and I stunk badly as I detoxed. I could take a shower and smell to high heaven a few hours later. I had no idea this would happen. Now, the thought of alcohol makes me feel sick. I was hungover for 20 years !
Sorry about your friends, I lost an uncle to booze, it killed him in his 50's. Hang in there with your closet, fingers crossed they'll legalize it for you soon.