Induction Heater Project

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I've made a few of these so far for my Dynavaps but this one is the nicest one I've made so far. The box is thin "project" plywood which I veneered. The veneer I bought came as a mixed pile, so I'm not positive what types I used for the darker colors, but the middle stripe is birdseye maple. I'm pretty sure the darker veneer on the top is a burled mahogony and the darker veneer I used on the sides look like walnut to me. The one idea I had for this, which I haven't seen on any others, is I mounted the battery level indicator underneath the maple veneer so it shines through when you press down on the cooling magnet. This was my first time working with veneer, so it's not perfect, but I'm really happy with how it came out.

2 - 8u5wzzx.jpg

1 - ttODLV2.jpg

3 - LfMo1d9.jpg

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Did you use a kit or source the parts individually? The battery indicator is a pretty baller touch, nice heater.

How many clicks do you get per charge?
I sourced all the parts for it individually. It is a 1500mAh LiPo in it so it should last me about a week between charges. I’ll try to remember to log the clicks once I need to swap the battery out. I have two so I can always have one ready to go. I don’t know why, but every now and then I just get an itch to build another one. Here are the last two I built.

plastic case I painted to look like wood
6905ECA2-015C-4D1B-8EBF-D258CF9723A3.jpeg
This one is all maple
BE05D812-9A30-4EC0-B9C3-3533BF26A552.jpeg

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
What's the BOM for a beauty like this?
It's cheaper to build more than one, since most of the parts come in packages of 2 or more, but this is the list of most of the parts I have in mine. The only additional parts are the thin plywood I got from a craft store and the wood veneer I covered it with. If you don't want to have to deal with buying a charger for those batteries, and want to skip the batteries completely, you can power it with a 12V 8A power supply.

Screenshot 2021-06-11 153050.jpg

Kulla380

Really Active Member
It's cheaper to build more than one, since most of the parts come in packages of 2 or more, but this is the list of most of the parts I have in mine. The only additional parts are the thin plywood I got from a craft store and the wood veneer I covered it with. If you don't want to have to deal with buying a charger for those batteries, and want to skip the batteries completely, you can power it with a 12V 8A power supply.

View attachment 93720
That's very cheap. I have the most expensive parts in my drawer already so I might just throw one together later this summer. A cool project indeed!
Never really got into vaping. Bought a Davinci IQ when they hit the market but that thing is not working as it should. Probably a dud but I'm too lazy to ship it in for replacement/service
:rolleyes: 😅

printer

Super Active Member
I can see the faster heating and cooling. I am a little unsure of what the bits you have are doing. Just saw a youtube vid on it.

I did not realize you had something metal to stick into the coil, I get it now. I thought you dropped your product into the glass tube, it just protects the coil from what I can see. Now the picture with your 'pen' (I don't know the proper word) makes sense.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I can see the faster heating and cooling. I am a little unsure of what the bits you have are doing. Just saw a youtube vid on it.

I did not realize you had something metal to stick into the coil, I get it now. I thought you dropped your product into the glass tube, it just protects the coil from what I can see. Now the picture with your 'pen' (I don't know the proper word) makes sense.
The way it works is the coil you put the Dynavap (metal tube) into creates a strong alternating current, that current excites the metal, and that causes the metal rapidly heat up. The glass tube is only there to keep the heat radiating off the metal and to the components in the heater.

printer

Super Active Member
The way it works is the coil you put the Dynavap (metal tube) into creates a strong alternating current, that current excites the metal, and that causes the metal rapidly heat up. The glass tube is only there to keep the heat radiating off the metal and to the components in the heater.
Yeah I get the induction heating. I used to calibrate equipment in a plant and we had a few induction heaters to heat treat parts. I just thought the product sits in the glass, I had no idea how it got heated. You do realize, now I have to make one.