Humidity problem, the beginning of mold

Marryjann

Can the cause of mold symptoms be the lack of a fan and the dehumidifier at the rear cmh 2x315 philips, when I saw the trichomes, I saw amber, maybe they bloomed prematurely, the dehumidifier and air conditioning are struggling, essential oils on PM
no fan blowing after cmh

Attachments

printer

Super Active Member
Even if the air is moving, if the RH is above 65% you are in the mold territory. The moving air helps when you have localized high humidity (a plant breathing out water vapor) and a drier air in the space that you blow around to equalize the humidity level. If you are over 65% RH then the blowing air around will help reduce the speed of mold growth but will not stop it.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Even if the air is moving, if the RH is above 65% you are in the mold territory. The moving air helps when you have localized high humidity (a plant breathing out water vapor) and a drier air in the space that you blow around to equalize the humidity level. If you are over 65% RH then the blowing air around will help reduce the speed of mold growth but will not stop it.
65% isn't that bad as long as the temperature is up in the mid 80s and you have good airflow. This is my first year where I actually got a dehumidifier. Every year before that 85° - 90° @ 65% - 70% RH was the norm for me every summer.

printer

Super Active Member
65% isn't that bad as long as the temperature is up in the mid 80s and you have good airflow. This is my first year where I actually got a dehumidifier. Every year before that 85° - 90° @ 65% - 70% RH was the norm for me every summer.
The higher the temperature the faster the mold spores develop, just like our plants, until you get outside the mold's temperature range. While the paper is about mold on rice, the two varieties of mold are the most common ones that grow on marijuana after harvest. The temperature of a walk in incubator used in the hospital I worked at had the plates they grew their samples on at about 30 C (going by memory) but I can't remember the humidity. I really should as I was always the one who had to service it.

Effect of Temperature and Relative Humidity on Growth of Aspergillus and Penicillium spp. and Biocontrol Activity of Pseudomonas protegens AS15 against Aflatoxigenic Aspergillus flavus in Stored Rice Grains

"Populations of all the tested fungi in inoculated rice grains were significantly enhanced by both increased temperature and RH. Multiple linear regression analysis revealed that one unit increase of temperature resulted in greater effects than that of RH on fungal populations."

There is a group of charts that show a great increase of mold development at 76% RH and above as compared to 44%, the increase in temperature between 20 C and 30 C show about double the count at 30 C.

Here is a paper on marijuana that is relevant, mold at the bottom of page 6.

Another two, I have not read them for a while though.

I think they might be a little hard to digest in one sitting but I think they should be of interest to all here. As far as 65%, I would be fine with it as long as the sensors and controls of the equipment are accurate, Humidity sensors are notoriously inaccurate, within 5% is normal, 10% is not unusual. Then if you think inside the bud the humidity is higher than on the exterior, especially with large buds, I can see how some run into problems.

printer

Super Active Member
Oops, wrong thread. I thought this was the curing thread. I don't see a problem with the temperature and humidity.

Not Given

Has chucked
Oops, wrong thread. I thought this was the curing thread. I don't see a problem with the temperature and humidity.
That report fits in perfect for this thread. As was said mold has a limited temp/ RH range they can survive in, but you need a fan to eliminate micro-climates inside the flower. Oh and hydrogen peroxide kills mold but plants love it.

I'm stoned or I wouldn't have remembered all that

printer

Super Active Member
That report fits in perfect for this thread. As was said mold has a limited temp/ RH range they can survive in, but you need a fan to eliminate micro-climates inside the flower. Oh and hydrogen peroxide kills mold but plants love it.

I'm stoned or I wouldn't have remembered all that
Just sparking up the vaporizer myself. I just have to remember to take my other meds first though. It really sucks at 2:00 in the morning when you realize the reason you can't sleep is you forgot to take them.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Lots of things cause mold to start. Humidity, temps, canopy thickness, density of the flowers, air flow, cleanliness, seed development, etc. Once it starts, flowers stay damp on the inside and the unseen molds grows and grows.
If I catch it in time, I twist the flowers and open them up. Doesn't make for the best looking flowers, but you can save a good bit of your crop.
You can purchase an Ozone machine, kills it dead in its tracks, but can be harmful to humans and pets. Also will kill soft bodied insects.
Pull all those browning leaves off. I don't leave any leaves that has something wrong with them. I try and leave only healthy leaves on my plant.
It turns into a "balance" of what the leaf is contributing to the growth process supplying the nutrients and sugars to what the leaf is taking away from the plant to keep the leaf alive.
Does that make sense?

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
PM is probably the biggest problem with jarred weed. If you have a little starting on the plant, drying won't kill it then jarring incubates it. There's moisture in the buds for it to grow. But you can wash the buds right after harvest with a h2o2 and water solution (about a cup/gallon) then hang them in front of a fan for a few hours until it's dry again.

That is from Jorge Cervantes who knows a thing or three about weed. There's a video. I added to that by making sure to weigh my flowers and label them before washing. You can monitor the weight to make sure they are down to their pre-wash weight or a little less before putting them in the drying area.

PM is probably the biggest problem with jarred weed. If you have a little starting on the plant, drying won't kill it then jarring incubates it. There's moisture in the buds for it to grow. But you can wash the buds right after harvest with a h2o2 and water solution (about a cup/gallon) then hang them in front of a fan for a few hours until it's dry again.

That is from Jorge Cervantes who knows a thing or three about weed. There's a video. I added to that by making sure to weigh my flowers and label them before washing. You can monitor the weight to make sure they are down to their pre-wash weight or a little less before putting them in the drying area.
Sweet vid (y)
Thanks for the heads up H.A.F. and oh, I think it's 1C h2o2/5gal water. I actually think I am going to start doing this cuz this makes a lot of sense on eliminating any pm that might be lurking before your dry and is totally easy to do.

Marryjann

ozone is a salvation, I run at night 4x after an hour and the mold goes to fuck. However, I have another problem, I added tea to the mega crop and the ph jumped from 6.5 to 7.2, I wonder what the problem could be

Marryjann

I used 10g seal-kelp, 30g sweet candy, ground alfalfa seeds whole cup, 25ml orgatrex biotabs, two types of mycorrhiza 150g, ground oatmeal, six tablespoons of black stripe molasses, 100ml of ph7.5 slurry, a glass of soil humic. Everything is mixed and aired, nice foam, first mix everything for tea and finally add molasses, it occurred to me that molasses could raise the ph. ec 2.0, mega crop and bud explosion according to calculator, I also added epsom and 6ml gravitron

Marryjann

I used 10g seal-kelp, 30g sweet candy, ground alfalfa seeds whole cup, 25ml orgatrex biotabs, two types of mycorrhiza 150g, ground oatmeal, six tablespoons of black stripe molasses, 100ml of ph7.5 slurry, a glass of soil humic. Everything is mixed and aired, nice foam, first mix everything for tea and finally add molasses, it occurred to me that molasses could raise the ph. ec 2.0, mega crop and bud explosion according to calculator, I also added epsom and 6ml gravitron