HPA controller build

dstroy

Insanely Active Member
It all made sense when I realized the current dump wasn't happening lol before that i was really questioning my comprehension. They may as well be batteries and im not used to thinking of cap discharge times greater than ms because all I've mainly used them for is timing caps in pwm generation.

Is the data transmission dual? Like your rpi can command, ontop of the monitor can send to the rpi by itself?
What you can and can't program is listed in the datasheet as well. There are a few registers available to us.

dstroy

Insanely Active Member
Do you have a scope? I'm using an arduino uno for my scope now and it's less than desirable, I was looking at something like this...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Channel-Touch-Screen-Digital-Oscilloscope-LCD-200KHz-Mini-Handheld-TFT/153492505134?
I need 1 with at least 2 inputs, have you any info on these cheaper ones?

dstroy

Insanely Active Member

dstroy

Insanely Active Member
I've been able to get a good bit of (coding) work done. Changed the controller design a bit and this should be a lot more powerful solution.

Everything gets spit out and logged as json. I still have to finish programming this and most of the fan controller's code as well. The plan is to have these controllers connected to an SBC which I can remote into, so I can edit things from wherever and use it when it's idle to process logs.

Unsolicited and solicited messages, warnings, etc, where I feel I need them. It should feel nice to work with, which will take some finesse.

It's pretty tolerant of things being connected or disconnected, which typically you would only need if you expected something to be removed and reconnected but I want to make this thing work in as many unexpected situations that I can anticipate.

these are from the mega2560 which does most of the gardening

env.pngjson output.png

got a few months of work ahead of me at least

dstroy

Insanely Active Member
Got some more parts coming today!

I finished wiring in the ups module

need to cut power entry for switched outlets, those go in the plastic box, then mount the receptacles

inside that box, need to mount current sense transformers

then I need to get the sensor pods boxes cut and mount parts in them

getting there slowly...

dstroy

Insanely Active Member
I got the operating system (debian variant) installed on the tinkerboard s, and have started setting that up

I'm using an apple bluetooth keyboard and magic 2 mouse, I added a udev rule so bluetooth works before login

I installed IBM informix for arm processors, it's a database which I will keep all my sensor data in
I need to finish setting it up, I need to make a directory for the database, which will be contained on an external hard drive. I've got a cable from startech that lets me just plug a bare drive into a usb port, that's what I'm using.

I'm currently building python 3.7 and will install that when it's finished building

I installed pip and pip3

I installed and used rsync early on to make a system copy with some setup complete in case I bork something up because I don't know jack about linux

The arch wiki is a good place to find answers

I installed the gpio package, looks like it's working

I installed smbus2 which I will use for i2c

dstroy

Insanely Active Member
I'm lost. Mad props. Your skills are way beyond my comprehension, but I'll stay tuned for the end result.
I started learning all of this stuff only a couple years ago. This is really my first time doing something more complex in linux than installing software.

I still have to teach myself java? I think to make the web page I want work, where I'll be able to change garden settings. The frontend for the whole thing. I don't know how to make a webserver, or build a webpage. I understand the concept but no clue how to implement it on this platform.

I need to read more about informix, I was going to use mongodb cause I have some experience making simple queries with that but really no database experience either. Which is why I wanted to use json, to give what I log flexibility since each json is its own document and I don't really know exactly what I need to log.

dstroy

Insanely Active Member
Got informix working. Since I am such a linux newb it took longer than it should have.

For informix to work in my case I am using removable media so I had to change the mount point so all users had access.

1578344755517.png

dstroy

Insanely Active Member
Ok, looks like I have a clear path to access the database now. I'm going to accumulate log messages from usb connected microcontrollers with a python script, and use a REST api to post them to the database server all in one script. This will allow me to eventually spin up a database server somewhere else, or switch to a different database type entirely without making a bunch of changes to existing log message types, I can slice them whichever way I want in python.

Most of the past couple of days have been spent installing and familiarizing myself with informix, I don't know jack about databases other than how to connect to them. I have an "operational" lol experiment.

I need to configure the rest listener and get that running, then try and post a json to it.