• 3-6

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • 6-12

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • 12+

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Mudballs

If you paid $10/month for a subscription, that also came with a private chat server with the breeder, how many seeds would you expect said breeder to distribute to you via mail each month to feel like you are receiving your money's worth?
Would there be a feeling of devaluation if the amount of seeds sent exceeded a certain amount? And how significant is the fact they would be regular seeds, and not feminized.
Thank you for your thoughts
Mud

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If you paid $10/month for a subscription, that also came with a private chat server with the breeder, how many seeds would you expect said breeder to distribute to you via mail each month to feel like you are receiving your money's worth?
Would there be a feeling of devaluation if the amount of seeds sent exceeded a certain amount? And how significant is the fact they would be regular seeds, and not feminized.
Mud
First thing would be the genetics. We'll assume they are top notch, tested gear with great effects?

You also need exclusivity. If you are holding the same mother plants as half the breeders in the USA and crossing them this way and that there's no novelty.

Fems vs regs will matter if people care about plant counts, or newb growers that don't want to worry about sexing them. I think you lose a small customer base, but those aren't likely the ones to subscribe anyway.

For regular beans that are guaranteed germination I think a 6-12 pack would be the range.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
For regular beans that are guaranteed germination I think a 6-12 pack would be the range.
What I was thinking here is the fact I run a rotation. I like to get 3-6 girls each month th keep my tents pumping out the new gear. And if it was legit stuff I was excited to pop each month you could charge a little more.

But along those lines there's also the question of how long you can sustain a variety of beans being shipped to keep me from cancelling that subscription? Will there be a selection process for the customer or is it the jelly of the month club, "fuck you, it's kumquat this month" :LOL:

pinner420

Finally on a roll....
What I was thinking here is the fact I run a rotation. I like to get 3-6 girls each month th keep my tents pumping out the new gear. And if it was legit stuff I was excited to pop each month you could charge a little more.

But along those lines there's also the question of how long you can sustain a variety of beans being shipped to keep me from cancelling that subscription? Will there be a selection process for the customer or is it the jelly of the month club, "fuck you, it's kumquat this month" :LOL:
Id make it exclusive with a 2 year contract...

Mudballs

🤣
I have 40 acres and decent genetic library of NLD and BLD coming from high grade names...i can do this, individual tastes i cant control though.
Selection process...idk, this is why i posted, work out logistics i dont see yet. No is what my heart is saying...i see problems arising with that.
Yeah plant count fem v. reg bugs me a little bit too...i hate sprays, i will have to look into natural rhodelization.
I need to think about the 4 plant count peeps..so send 10, guarantees 4 fems from one strain. Your input is greatly appreciated.
You'd have to set back channell relationships with dudes like @Heisen that wholesale. Id be more willing to look at a tiered approach. Platinum, gold, silver. Great idea...
I haven't really exposed my capabilities per se. I can supply a large amount of bred genetics solo. It would be a big commitment on my part but it wouldn't be a Grower's Club thing...theyd be my seeds in my packs. I like the tiered idea, although im not sure what i would need to include in those higher value tiers. Im already a bit sketched at the idea of somehow being successful and having 100+ peeps expecting 12 seeds each, every month, lol...not a joke that number lol. That's industrious, thats me signing my life over to these peeps subscribed to this.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I may be in the minority, but I personally wouldn’t want to get new beans every month. I would just wind up with a pile of seeds that I have no time to get to. If I’m not in the minority then I think you might get better interest if you sent them out quarterly. You could raise the price per pack, without it being painful, and with the lower cost per year you might be able to get more people to sign up.

D

Deleted member 60

I'm with @treefarmercharlie . Growing out a plant is a huge commitment. IF there were choices of what you could choose to tailor it in the direction you'd like to go with your garden it might be a fun thing...but just having random seeds tossed yer way monthly...nah...that doesn't work here.

I think it'd be a better gig to have the forum and just sell the seeds on that forum. The word could go out that any financial assistance for the monthly bills/site support etc. for the forum would garner severe favor on the seeds front going forward. Special deals for supporters. (and mods!...LOL) Freebies. All of that.

Limiting membership is also an approach. I was on a clone-trading site for years that was "invite only"....and to be invited you had to be suggested by an existing member...and then folks had to chime in and vouch and say "He's in/OK with me". It HAD TO BE like that back then. There was no "legal" pot anywhere....so those sends of anywhere from 5 - 60 clones in the mail between members were a huge show of trust...as was opening up your garden completely to any/all others. The entire thing was a response to being sick of folks HOARDING good genetics....so if you opted in...you opted in every strain in your library/garden. Anyone who mentioned something they weren't sharing (usually on another site and it was noticed) got canned from the site instantly.

Lotsa ways to play....just keep it as simple as possible...set up firm rules...and don't set up huge >expectations< so those who seem to (always) do so don't get all butt hurt and start making waves/etc.

Mudballs

Screenshot 2023-12-10 161829.png
This is a pic of the desktop mode of the chat app i made. It's stock related, $10/month you can search news/chart stocks...i still have a ways to go with it.
Heres mobile mode screenshots
Screenshot_20231210-155452_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231210-155534_Chrome.jpg

but the idea is, this is privately owned and run by me...you can say things there other places will not let a conversation venture near...cuz it's run by mudballs...you jive with me you get a sweet app and seeds every month from a garden that aint chump shite. My goal is to be a grower supported financially by doing...growing..just trying to connect the dots. I got 2 nays and 1 yay...i take all input.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Glad i posted...HAF reps those that would like a few every month to cycle and charlie reppin contrarian for consideration.
The only reason I see a monthly subscription being worth it for the consumer is if they drop beans every month. Perhaps the personal assistance from the breeder part you talk about would be to help organize a rotation type grow?

Check what some of the other subscription peeps offer, I know Ethos does this. And I think the shipments arer centered around what would normally be "drops" from the latest chuck. Probably every 3-4 months. Then the person gets a sample of everything from the drop - and may prefer some beans over others in that drop but has that option.

I would not do a subscription service because then I am letting you do my bean shopping for me. I like bean shopping LOL

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Mud
You would be in the poor house @10 a month. People really don't realize the cost in these operations. Shipping alone + cultivation cost. Not to mention the canceled subscriptions because people don't know how to germinate or grow. Blaming there unforseen fuck ups on the genetics. In order to operate any kind of sustainable business you would need a website that generated at least 1000 new visitors a month because only about 10 percent would sign up. So maybe you would generate 100 subscriptions that's around 1000 a month to include in your budget. That's right around what my power bill is per month. Seeds are gonna cost you around 7 dollars a package to ship cause this day and age customers demand tracked packages. If they don't go out on time you can expect to give out refunds, also expect credit and cash app disputes. Not to mention banks shutting down your accounts when customers explain to the dispute agents what you are selling.
It takes years to work out logistics, web site design and function, genetics people want. Not your homemade no name shit that you think is the best shit in the world you made up in your 4x4 tent that you think everyone is gonna go crazy over. It might be great for you but that shit won't sell seeds to the type of customer base you would need.
You would make more money selling the flower to your friends than using this method to sell seeds.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Not to mention no one wants the same seeds twice. If you had a single reverse mom or male and they got a pack with that said cross and didn't like em you would have to come up with new strains the following month or expect cancelled subscribers, even though 2 different crosses of the same donor would be totally different you can't tell customers that. They are gonna wanna order new stuff every time.

Mudballs

You would be in the poor house @10 a month. People really don't realize the cost in these operations. Shipping alone + cultivation cost. Not to mention the canceled subscriptions because people don't know how to germinate or grow. Blaming there unforseen fuck ups on the genetics. In order to operate any kind of sustainable business you would need a website that generated at least 1000 new visitors a month because only about 10 percent would sign up. So maybe you would generate 100 subscriptions that's around 1000 a month to include in your budget. That's right around what my power bill is per month. Seeds are gonna cost you around 7 dollars a package to ship cause this day and age customers demand tracked packages. If they don't go out on time you can expect to give out refunds, also expect credit and cash app disputes. Not to mention banks shutting down your accounts when customers explain to the dispute agents what you are selling.
It takes years to work out logistics, web site design and function, genetics people want. Not your homemade no name shit that you think is the best shit in the world you made up in your 4x4 tent that you think everyone is gonna go crazy over. It might be great for you but that shit won't sell seeds to the type of customer base you would need.
You would make more money selling the flower to your friends than using this method to sell seeds.
I know the costs...Strainly served me well before he took the site a direction i was unhappy with...i didn't abandon him, just kinda shut down offerings...i like how he's (Alan) approachable and that was a solid effort to bring cannabis mainstream.
Im outdoor friend...my overhead is nowhere near an indoors. I could have endless rows of strains being pheno selected and another 20 rows of diff crosses of those being pheno hunted...i dont think ive properly expressed the potential here

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
I know the costs...Strainly servered me well before he took the site a direction i was unhappy with...i didn't abandon him, just kinda shut down offerings...i like how he's (Alan) approachable and that was a solid effort to bring cannabis mainstream.
Im outdoor friend...my overhead is nowhere near an indoors. I could have endless rows of strains being pheno selected and another 20 rows of diff crosses of those being pheno hunted...i dont think ive properly expressed the potential here
Outdoor breeding with what? 1 reverse mom or several? 1 male or several? Strainly has been a shit show since the beginning and is worse now. You using light depredation outdoors?
You already have a website person? SEO driven stuff? High risk credit card processing? I suppose if you was good with a few hundred dollars a month it would work but good websites aren't cheap and maintaining them cost more. The seed business is so oversaturated right now it would take quite alot to move your rankings up in Google to maintain any kind of business. Even the ones in the lower 100th rankings are only getting less than 100 hits a day. You have to have products for Google to rank you. Over 100+ , selling a few seeds on strainly is nothing compared to maintaining your own platform

Mudballs

Valid question i didnt think appropriate to flesh out here but members would be supporting the breeding of the following
Screenshot_20231224-075601_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231224-075501_Gallery.jpg

And a membership would grant you offspring from goodness i find. Im not concerned with some of the backoffice topics at this time...i was only trying to flesh out a valuation versus offerings. We've covered ground suggesting changes to my first thought on the idea. Making this happen isnt a financial nor a digital burden to me. Scaling up is just math, strainly was a touch on the math involved and my awareness of it.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Ethos has beans in lots of seedbanks, his own storefront to sell beans, and he has the subscription thing as a side-hustle part of that conglomeration. He uses instagram to accumulate fanboys then sends out very reliable genetics that always turn out pretty for more instagram hits.

But it's midsy effects. And his stuff ages like bread for some reason.