Hola from Disneyland!r

Jim Haddar

Hi everybody. I am new here but not new to growing. Total dilettante as far as growing for quantity but have been cultivating focused on GDP and related strains like Purple Punch and Purple Urkle because they help my wife’s migraines more than any legal prescription medicine.
Now I have a very ignorant question about breeding: what happens when a seed producer stops producing one of their proprietary strains? Do the genetics then become “public domain”? If I have a pack of Bermuda Shorts seeds from Brand X and Brand X decides to just let the Bermuda Shorts strain go away, am I allowed to keep breeding Bermuda Shorts and possibly selling some down the line?

I actually have a couple strains that the breeders have stopped producing. I don’t want to be specific because I don’t want to be accused of criticizing the breeders. I am not peeved at anyone. I just don’t want to be a seed plagiarist.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
For real? Okay thanks.
A lot of breeders think they own the crosses they make but the only thing they really own is the name (and that is only if they trademark it, really) and the notoriety of coming up with it. It's harsh, but it's the truth. The only way for a breeder to retain full ownership of their strain is to keep it in house and not sell seeds or clones. Hell, look at all of these different seed companies selling Northern Lights, Purple Haze, OG Kush, AK-47, etc. Most of them are just crossing the same strains that the original came from and most aren't even close to the original. The one thing that pisses off some breeders is revesring a female of theirs, and then selling S1 seeds under the same name, but there really is nothing they can do about it. I personally think that people who do that should at least give it a different name because I think using the same name devalues the original.

Jim Haddar

I noticed it seems like any strain crossed with an OG is supposed to inherit the OG title. I have some “OG bastards” where all I know is the mother was a clone that was sold as OG Kush. The pollen would have come from reputable plants, but that’s all I know. I do plan to try to grow a few just to see what happens.

Jim Haddar

Two clones I am running now: a Gelato from a feminized freebie seed that I got from a seed supplier on left and one of my own creations that I call Dr. McCoy (Short Stuff Dr. Feelgood X MTG Godfather Purps). 646B506B-1D44-4A9E-98A3-3B7223B84A10.jpeg
I have seen growers complaining about being “disappointed” with Gelato but my only gripe is that it was not a big producer for me when I grew it from seed.

Jim Haddar

Update: My wife has been testing McCoy on her migraines and she says it works better than GDP, which is the most reliable strain we ever found before we bred McCoy. I am trying to make sure I have enough clones to keep the line going for a while.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Hi everybody. I am new here but not new to growing. Total dilettante as far as growing for quantity but have been cultivating focused on GDP and related strains like Purple Punch and Purple Urkle because they help my wife’s migraines more than any legal prescription medicine.
Now I have a very ignorant question about breeding: what happens when a seed producer stops producing one of their proprietary strains? Do the genetics then become “public domain”? If I have a pack of Bermuda Shorts seeds from Brand X and Brand X decides to just let the Bermuda Shorts strain go away, am I allowed to keep breeding Bermuda Shorts and possibly selling some down the line?

I actually have a couple strains that the breeders have stopped producing. I don’t want to be specific because I don’t want to be accused of criticizing the breeders. I am not peeved at anyone. I just don’t want to be a seed plagiarist.
The honest answer is that you bought the pack of beans. They are yours. No one has legal recourse for anything you do with them. Especially if you are not selling them.

If you do make and sell them then it's more of an ethical question when you advertise "Bermuda Shorts by Brand X" on your pack.

So far the only real legal troubles along those lines is when people use copyrighted names. Gorilla Glue, Girl Scout Cookies, etc.