HID to LED during stretch?

LivingOrganics

LivingOrganics
Hi guys and gals!
Hope everyone is well and thankyou for popping in on this one.

I've got a bit of a dilemma, but first a bit of context behind the issue. I grow in an outhouse and rely on air from the outside to cool my lung room. I also use HID lights during the winter months to save on heating bills, 2 birds one stone approach. However this is now my dilemma.... it's only February and we are already seeing 14°c outside temps which means I'm having to circulate alot of air through my lung room to keep temps down. ( I wasn't expecting temperatures to be this warm this early) All perfectly normal bbbuutttt it's the humidity that is the issue I had dehumidify the air quick enough so I'm getting 65% RH and still struggling to keep those temps down without going higher. Icing on the cake, one of the strains I'm running is really bad for bud rot so I must get that RH down.

I have a couple of work arounds one much cheaper than the other. But I need your thoughts as there is a real mixed opinion online.

1. Swap out my HPS and get my Full spectrum LEDS in. - I can control the light intensity so the brightness will remain the same but the spectrum will surely be different. Currently in my 2nd week of 12/12 I'm hoping this won't make too much of a difference or should I wait until a little later when they aren't so stressed out working on all the flower sites etc. I'm hoping that being a full spectrum LED there won't be much need for transition or adjustment from the plants.

2. Switching is suicide run up that AC and dehumidifier that will cost the earth but it is what it is.

Would love to see what you guys are thinking.....

Streetpro09

Tester
Id pick 1. Obviously not perfect or ideal but use it as a learning experience.

I'll pretty much guarantee they're not going to die from a spectrum change middle of stretch. I'll bet they either stop stretching or they stretch more than usual. Would be curious to hear what happens.

pinner420

Finally on a roll....
Yeah the stakes of that game are pretty high, dropping something into the girls.

As for vpd..... i understand the concept and have read about it a good little bit. A question that comes to mind, is vpd perfect outside every day?
Ya set course for keeping roots happy first has always been my caveman approach. In my area chasing vpd is noticeable acceleration but that equipment and my circumstances makes other equipment fail like my central heater.. even running r.o. through my industrial humidifiers produces a fine layer of calcium in everything in the room. Obviously shitty location choice but that's another build out charted for the future! So even with rh in the 30s all runs pretty smooth.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Hi guys and gals!
Hope everyone is well and thankyou for popping in on this one.

I've got a bit of a dilemma, but first a bit of context behind the issue. I grow in an outhouse and rely on air from the outside to cool my lung room. I also use HID lights during the winter months to save on heating bills, 2 birds one stone approach. However this is now my dilemma.... it's only February and we are already seeing 14°c outside temps which means I'm having to circulate alot of air through my lung room to keep temps down. ( I wasn't expecting temperatures to be this warm this early) All perfectly normal bbbuutttt it's the humidity that is the issue I had dehumidify the air quick enough so I'm getting 65% RH and still struggling to keep those temps down without going higher. Icing on the cake, one of the strains I'm running is really bad for bud rot so I must get that RH down.

I have a couple of work arounds one much cheaper than the other. But I need your thoughts as there is a real mixed opinion online.

1. Swap out my HPS and get my Full spectrum LEDS in. - I can control the light intensity so the brightness will remain the same but the spectrum will surely be different. Currently in my 2nd week of 12/12 I'm hoping this won't make too much of a difference or should I wait until a little later when they aren't so stressed out working on all the flower sites etc. I'm hoping that being a full spectrum LED there won't be much need for transition or adjustment from the plants.

2. Switching is suicide run up that AC and dehumidifier that will cost the earth but it is what it is.

Would love to see what you guys are thinking.....
#1 swap out
24" from canopy for 4 or 5 days ,
rh 60% ,
80-82 Degrees is good.
That's what I would do.
Keep HID handy just in case nature turns.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Growing in an "outhouse" I assume you mean an outbuilding or shed? ;)

For what it's worth, if I was to invest on anything it would be insulation, caulk, and that spray foam is handy too.

If it has a pitched roof instead of flat, look for a way to partition off the ceiling so there's an "attic" the heat can go to. Cuts down the cubic feet you need to heat or cool, and that attic will act as a buffer for roof heat.