Hey Coco Growers....Got a couple questions.

So I have always heard that coco is the best of both worlds between hydro and soil. I have been doing a little reading on using coco too. Figured maybe give it a go. I do not have a local hydro store in my area so bags come from Amazon and Ebay. I did a quick search here but didnt find much of anything that I wanted to know.

So.....is Fox Farms Coco-Loco an ok brand of coco to use? Or am I better off using a different brand. Also, I feed my hydro plants the GH Flora series and my soil plants the Fox Farm trio. Would I be best off sticking with the GH Flora series for the coco? Would a flood and drain be ok to run in a 2x4 with coco being used as the medium?

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
So I have always heard that coco is the best of both worlds between hydro and soil. I have been doing a little reading on using coco too. Figured maybe give it a go. I do not have a local hydro store in my area so bags come from Amazon and Ebay. I did a quick search here but didnt find much of anything that I wanted to know.

So.....is Fox Farms Coco-Loco an ok brand of coco to use? Or am I better off using a different brand. Also, I feed my hydro plants the GH Flora series and my soil plants the Fox Farm trio. Would I be best off sticking with the GH Flora series for the coco? Would a flood and drain be ok to run in a 2x4 with coco being used as the medium?
Ive heard the ph is tough to control in f and d. If your looking for automation. Checkout heisenbeans youtube channel. I forget the name of the watering system but it looks 👍

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
I buy a brick and wash it. Otherwise it gets super expensive after a while. Been mixing it half and half w pro_ mix .
I second that. Buy a brick, buffer yhe runoff to 6.0 then I add half soil 5o help keep the coco moist in between watering.

Rule no 1 with straight coco is never to let it get completely dry. It locks out the nutes from salt buildup. I use gh flora too. It's. Creat3s salt when dried. Almost looks like pm

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
I was thinking one bag just to how it goes....May not even like it and run it ever again. But people swear by it so I gotta give it a go. Then if it's something I think fits me best, the bricks would be the route I go. Thanks!
It eats so much better than peat imo. I had 1 peat plant last run and it took twice as long to water. You really dont need perlite but I always add a bit. Only thing i like about peat more is that the extra lime to raise the ph seems to keep the calmag issues at bay longer than coco. Just give them more cal mag and your golden.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
I wouldn't mix it if you wanna give it a try run it straight. I feel mixing soil would mess with the cec, ph range and cause wet spots in the mix. Just use a bigger pot if you want to water less. 2 gallons is plenty but can be more work

Funkaroma

Google hempy buckets. Work very well. Easy as pie. Il get pics up of my sestem up later. I run an old ebb and flow converted into hempy buckets. I feed em from the top and the bottom is daisy chained wit hose for run off.

If you have to order online id order canna bricks. They probably a lil more expensive on price then other brick but believe me they are the cleanest and best coco brick on the market.just add phed water and their ready to go. Plus you probably gonna save a few bucks compared to shipping the big bag of coco loco.

Google hempy buckets. Work very well. Easy as pie. Il get pics up of my sestem up later. I run an old ebb and flow converted into hempy buckets. I feed em from the top and the bottom is daisy chained wit hose for run off.

If you have to order online id order canna bricks. They probably a lil more expensive on price then other brick but believe me they are the cleanest and best coco brick on the market.just add phed water and their ready to go. Plus you probably gonna save a few bucks compared to shipping the big bag of coco loco.
Thanks...that was the idea I was thinking would be the easiest. Pics are always a good thing. At least for me...

Funkaroma

Sorry for the delay brother my sciatic back pains been on me all week. I still have to hook up the auto feeding lines but heres the pics of run off line. Dont mind the messy floor. Alls getting cleaned soon as back feels better20200717_003754.jpg20200717_003753.jpg20200717_003802.jpg20200717_003754.jpg20200717_003802.jpg20200717_003753.jpg