Help with planning and building room

m4s73r

The Laziest
Well the worms are not going to care how deep it is since most will be up top eating. I like where your head is at with more dirt. But try to think of it in volume per plant. So with a 4x4 bed you have 165 gallons of soil. With 9 plants that 18 gallons of soil volume per plant. Plenty considering they will be smaller size. Ask most organic growers and they will tell you that you need 15-20 gallons of soil per pot. If you want less maintenance at this volume of soil then Living mulches will be your greatest asset.

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
Well the worms are not going to care how deep it is since most will be up top eating. I like where your head is at with more dirt. But try to think of it in volume per plant. So with a 4x4 bed you have 165 gallons of soil. With 9 plants that 18 gallons of soil volume per plant. Plenty considering they will be smaller size. Ask most organic growers and they will tell you that you need 15-20 gallons of soil per pot. If you want less maintenance at this volume of soil then Living mulches will be your greatest asset.
I have a lot to learn. I can use all the help you can give me with this. I appreciate everyone’s help. So more soil wouldn’t be better

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Thinking about getting these raised beds. 42x42x32. They are nice and deep so I can cram the bottom with logs and still have plenty of room for dirt. View attachment 107666
The only thing I'm thinking on this is how big of a step ladder you are going to need to tote around to see the tops of the plants once you add another 6-8" for wheels and the frame. Then you have to factor in the spread for the ladder legs ;)

m4s73r

The Laziest
I have a lot to learn. I can use all the help you can give me with this. I appreciate everyone’s help. So more soil wouldn’t be better
Not in this case. If it was going to give us more surface area then sure, but depth past 18" isnt really needed. Look at most of the pots we grow in, how many you seen over 24" tall? I know a lot of guys that use the 12" beds from amazon then saran wrap the outside of them.
Like if you were to make your own beds, Id line the bottom and sides first with the landscaping fabric like you did in the 2x2 you made. Then i would line all but 3 inches of the bottom of the side walls with some cheap pond liner. Kinda of a diy moisture liner like in the grassroots beds.

Following my layout, you could do a 3.5'x12' raised bed in each room. (trust me that walking around room will make your life easier). Get you a half cord of wood from last year and line the bottom 6 inches in quarter logs. Toss on your mulch amendments and alfalfa and then cover it all with promix. Pack it in good, make sure you dont have air pockets. That should fill your pot just under half. Then mix up your soil mix and put it on top of the promix. Let that cook for 4-5 days, then seed in your cover crop.

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member
Not in this case. If it was going to give us more surface area then sure, but depth past 18" isnt really needed. Look at most of the pots we grow in, how many you seen over 24" tall? I know a lot of guys that use the 12" beds from amazon then saran wrap the outside of them.
Like if you were to make your own beds, Id line the bottom and sides first with the landscaping fabric like you did in the 2x2 you made. Then i would line all but 3 inches of the bottom of the side walls with some cheap pond liner. Kinda of a diy moisture liner like in the grassroots beds.

Following my layout, you could do a 3.5'x12' raised bed in each room. (trust me that walking around room will make your life easier). Get you a half cord of wood from last year and line the bottom 6 inches in quarter logs. Toss on your mulch amendments and alfalfa and then cover it all with promix. Pack it in good, make sure you dont have air pockets. That should fill your pot just under half. Then mix up your soil mix and put it on top of the promix. Let that cook for 4-5 days, then seed in your cover crop.
That wood trick works wonders when media is short.

Buddernugs

Full send….always
If it where me and I was worried about plant count…… I’d do coco dtw on 4 plants…… and fill a 10x10 space with them….are stuck on soil?

Buddernugs

Full send….always
A heavy duty water chiller and a 100+gal tank would make your life a lot easier. Soil is siMple….u till you fuck up….. theirs also bugs in it…a room that size is Guna cost a lot of $$$$…… soil=lower yields and even lower growth speed…. If it were me and I had a lot of money I needed to make in one harvest to get out of red….I’d go coco dtw, 4 plants per 16 sf and veg them 6 weeks and flip…… that’s a fuck ton of soil your Guna need… which means theirs a giant humidity spike with that giant Bed….Guna need a lot of dehumidification and even more ac to cool the room down.

m4s73r

The Laziest
what do you need a water chiller for when doing coco dtw? Your not circulating anything.
If you fuck soil up, then chances are, your an ex hydro grower that cant leave it alone. LOL
If it were me and I needed to make in one harvest to get out of the red with no plant count limits, then im doing 12/12 from rooted clone in a sea of green on racks in 5inch tall flood trays. How you going to get out the red with 6 weeks veg time? LOL.

Got some grow logs, showing that YOU, specifically, have grown organic no till indoors in beds and have some personal knowledge on it? Thats a lot of claims you making there. I mean I have a grow log on this forums that shows that I put 4 plants in 16 sf and only vegged for 21 days exactly and filled the space. So.... what?