Having a weird problem. Looking for an opinion.

I have two different phenos of my Sour Goji. Both are having problems adjusting to being transitioned from metal halide in veg, to hps in flower. The top leaves will start to curl and eventually crumble up and die over 4 to 6 weeks. The mid to lower fans stay alive and well. It seems like only the newer fan and sugar leaves are affected.

Long ago I changed these particular plants to hps in veg and that solved the issue. The leaves stayed healthy all the way thru.

What I'm wondering is WHY this is happening to this pheno only. I may have experienced this before as a beginning grower over 20 years ago with a C99 I was growing but I'm not sure. This doesn't happen to any of my other plants.

Any idea what causes this? Thanks.

It happens with any white light transition. Even T5's.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
I have two different phenos of my Sour Goji. Both are having problems adjusting to being transitioned from metal halide in veg, to hps in flower. The top leaves will start to curl and eventually crumble up and die over 4 to 6 weeks. The mid to lower fans stay alive and well. It seems like only the newer fan and sugar leaves are affected.

Long ago I changed these particular plants to hps in veg and that solved the issue. The leaves stayed healthy all the way thru.

What I'm wondering is WHY this is happening to this pheno only. I may have experienced this before as a beginning grower over 20 years ago with a C99 I was growing but I'm not sure. This doesn't happen to any of my other plants.

Any idea what causes this? Thanks.
Man that's a tough one , I guess all dif plants /phenos are affected differently by dif spectrums . obviously if it's a newer bulb it will be brighter but aside from that man thats a doozy. Best of luck. Maybe some kind of pathogen?

Man that's a tough one , I guess all dif plants /phenos are affected differently by dif spectrums . obviously if it's a newer bulb it will be brighter but aside from that man thats a doozy. Best of luck. Maybe some kind of pathogen?
Seems to only happen when the light used in veg is different from flower. I tried using T5's in veg then hps in flower. Same shit. I tried using the metal halide in veg and using the same light in flower. That WORKED. So then I tried an hps light in veg and went to hps in flower, and that WORKED. So far the only thing that affects it is the transition from using a different light.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
Wattage difference ? Is it adjustable ? Do you switch immediately when you initiate flower or after the stretch ? They can handle more later and the blues will help keep the nodes tighter from my understanding. Maybe run the halide a bit higher up or dimmed at first and adjust it if you can. I'm imagining it's a shock from extra light / spectrum (sensitive ladies) and they cant adjust so they continually get worse and burn over time. It would be similar switching from veg with led and cranking them full power first day of 12 12 or transfering a plant outside during a sunny week.

baldmountain

Super Active Member
There really isn't enough information here to be able to tell. Without more complete environmental measurements were just guessing. How is temperature, rh, water pH and light PAR measurements at the top of the plants changing over time? Are the plants being moved from one room to another when the lights change? The reason top growers get the yields they do is because they measure and control everything. (And have enough experience to know when something is off.)

If I had to guess, this cultivar is stretching more than other types you grow and are getting too close to the lights and getting burned. I'd also guess that the rh is a bit low and with the lights a little too close the top leaves stop transpiring, dry up, and die. But I'm guessing.

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
A Rookie question . Auto grown under SP250 at recommended veg grow height in organic soil . You can see the lightening of colour between leaf veins . Cal mag issue maybe ? Any opinions appreciated 5C22D6F9-1596-4C65-8157-5B46E452DC18.jpegBB0FB5B2-F491-42B2-9626-A4A8023611B8.jpeg

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
id say either mag or nitrogen. ive had a couple plants that did this when the light was to close to.
Ok thanks for the feedback . I thought the Nitrogen levels in the soil were adequate when I mixed the blend so I’m leaning more towards mag perhaps . Also at what stage from seed can you start to use Cal Mag safely on your grow. Can you start to apply from seedling stage ? Even diluted ?

Last edited:

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
Ok thanks for the feedback . I thought the Nitrogen levels in the soil were adequate when I mixed the blend so I’m leaning more towards mag perhaps . Also at what stage from seed can you start to use Cal Mag safely on your grow. Can you start to apply from seedling stage ? Even diluted ?
i use cal/mag every watering after my ppms start to dip to around 6 or 700ppm. i use 707 which is a hotter mix coming out anywhere from 1000ppms to 2000ppms on average. i usually dont have to add anything for a month or so. this will be different depending on what medium your starting with, what nutes youve already added, and how much your plant is eating. my kobe is a calmag hog. 1 or 2 feedings without it and she was letting you no she wanted more.

id do a runoff test and if it was me anything 500ppm and below id start adding calmag. after that id add calmag every single time i water.

what kind of lights are these under? led?

edit: i no some growers will use cal/mag and spray it onto their plants leafs. ive never fed like this

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
i use cal/mag every watering after my ppms start to dip to around 6 or 700ppm. i use 707 which is a hotter mix coming out anywhere from 1000ppms to 2000ppms on average. i usually dont have to add anything for a month or so. this will be different depending on what medium your starting with, what nutes youve already added, and how much your plant is eating. my kobe is a calmag hog. 1 or 2 feedings without it and she was letting you no she wanted more.

id do a runoff test and if it was me anything 500ppm and below id start adding calmag. after that id add calmag every single time i water.

what kind of lights are these under? led?

edit: i no some growers will use cal/mag and spray it onto their plants leafs. ive never fed like this
yeah grown using an SP250 Mars LED . I’m on a bit of a learning curve and the general opinion seems to be LED growing can have Cal mag issues more commonly associated. Thanks for your opinion and knowledge shared . It’s around day 38 so maybe time to top dress boost as well . 👍