Has anyone here ever used humic acid in hydro?

inthetrees

You can use it with benes but don't do it if your running sterile. It also usually contains allot of sediment that will plug up your air stones. The color will also stain your roots so then you think you've got root rot when you don't. Least that was my experience.

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
bloom city organics has a beni/fulvic/humic liquid supplement. Works extremely well in coco, have not tried it in a reservoir yet, also unsure about its carbohydrate content and if that would be detrimental as a few days pass after a res change.

Loco Grown

bloom city organics has a beni/fulvic/humic liquid supplement. Works extremely well in coco, have not tried it in a reservoir yet, also unsure about its carbohydrate content and if that would be detrimental as a few days pass after a res change.
If that's the one that also has fish in it, it doesn't work well in a res. I use Mr Fulvic in my res for coco/perlite and it works great. Keeps my ppms low.

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
If that's the one that also has fish in it, it doesn't work well in a res. I use Mr Fulvic in my res for coco/perlite and it works great. Keeps my ppms low.
Yeah so I just read into it and their 'root stimulator' has salmon in it.

This one: might be worth a shot. Derived from fresh water. I have understood that both humic and fulvic acids are beneficial for hydro, but fulvic acids can actually bind to nutrients and transport them into the plant cell walls. Humic acids work by providing a carbohydrate source for root fungi/bacteria and would be better suited for any sort of media other than purely hydroponic water. If you're working with a resevoir, stick to fulvic acids in both the res and foliar spray.
For grins, here is their straight humic acid product.
Liquid Humic Soil Replenisher | Organic - Bloom City

Loco Grown

Yeah so I just read into it and their 'root stimulator' has salmon in it.

This one: might be worth a shot. Derived from fresh water. I have understood that both humic and fulvic acids are beneficial for hydro, but fulvic acids can actually bind to nutrients and transport them into the plant cell walls. Humic acids work by providing a carbohydrate source for root fungi/bacteria and would be better suited for any sort of media other than purely hydroponic water. If you're working with a resevoir, stick to fulvic acids in both the res and foliar spray.
For grins, here is their straight humic acid product.
Liquid Humic Soil Replenisher | Organic - Bloom City
I use their CleanKelp, and love it, but it's the only one of their products which I can justify the cost of. Their Humic product looks interesting for soil grown, and then do mention that it includes fulvics too, however they don't give a %. I'm been real happy with Mr Fulvic, and not much is needed at 1ml/gal:

Screenshot (4).png

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Most of this kind of stuff won't stay in suspension so it isn't really helpful in RDWC. The Mr Fulvic might be an exception, I'd try it if I got ahold of some on the cheap.

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
Most of this kind of stuff won't stay in suspension so it isn't really helpful in RDWC. The Mr Fulvic might be an exception, I'd try it if I got ahold of some on the cheap.
I would counter that the organic acids, cold pressed kelp and even bacteria/fungi can be extremely water soluble and homogenous (evenly distributed) when a hydro reservoir is properly circulated and root coverage is even. The fish emulsion/isolate for sure is likely too lipid-rich to ever properly dissolve in a reservoir solution. Humic must be in liquid form, granular fulvic is more soluble, but again liquid is preferred. Much of this will depend on how well the nutrient company is processing the raw components into a plant available form. Kelp is already aqueously derived and (if it’s professionally hydroponic grade) should be much lower in lipid content than any fish product, with organic plant available vitamins, Mg, Ca, Growth Hormones, etc.

Attachments

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I would counter that the organic acids, cold pressed kelp and even bacteria/fungi can be extremely water soluble and homogenous (evenly distributed) when a hydro reservoir is properly circulated and root coverage is even. The fish emulsion/isolate for sure is likely too lipid-rich to ever properly dissolve in a reservoir solution. Humic must be in liquid form, granular fulvic is more soluble, but again liquid is preferred. Much of this will depend on how well the nutrient company is processing the raw components into a plant available form. Kelp is already aqueously derived and (if it’s professionally hydroponic grade) should be much lower in lipid content than any fish product, with organic plant available vitamins, Mg, Ca, Growth Hormones, etc.
The problem with many of these amendments in RDWC is that they'll spoil in the reservoir. There many b other hydroponic systems that will tolerate them better.

Streetpro09

Tester
Gave their clean kelp a try I'd been using build a soils dry kelp and was out when I read your post the girls were praying like mad the next morning it really turned them on!! Thanks for the heads up
Can someone please explain to me why plants "praying" is a good thing? I can understand new growth doing it to an extent but seems unnatural. Like what other plant "prays"? Is it just a cannabis thing? In my head it seems like the plant is asking for something. Like it's deficient in a nutrient.

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
Can someone please explain to me why plants "praying" is a good thing? I can understand new growth doing it to an extent but seems unnatural. Like what other plant "prays"? Is it just a cannabis thing? In my head it seems like the plant is asking for something. Like it's deficient in a nutrient.
Think of a huge amount of surface area for absorption that is sort of instant (especially with fulvic in your foliar spray) versus the roots that rely on the negative pressure differences between the air, stomata, xylem top to bottom, and then the media. The suction of water into the roots is actually the result of negative pressure in your environment. The plant is like a multi sized funnel into the media and the air itself is the vacuum. This is also why oxygenated water is critical in hydroponics (amongst other reasons for the lovely O2)