Growing in a solo cup

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
Wetting a couple of exotics Wonka Bars. :cool:

The plan was to try a solo cup grow for the 1st time but now I’m thinking maybe a 1g before I try the solo cups

Anyone have info on the best way to approach this? Should I plan on watering them everyday ?

Prolly gonna 12/12 them from the start

Any help is appreciated!! :D

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I did one in soil. I would try coco, just because you end up watering every day before long anyway.

Have good drainage.
Limit the size. I did 12/12 from seed just to make sure it flips as soon as it's ready.

And after all that I had a beautiful plant, that hermed and had ~150 seeds in 4 little tops ;)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
What was your feeding schedule like if u don’t mind me asking?

She looks great even being a hermy
I used a dry top feed mostly so it was just RO with calmag, then checking the run off for the ppm's to drop to know when it needed more top dressing.

Thanks! I was surprised at how (relatively) healthy it stayed. I chalk up the herm to the stress of being in a cup?

Here's the thing though. Doing it so you can say you did is all I did. Never doing it again. I would definitely use bag-seed or something and not waste a decent plant on it.

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
I used a dry top feed mostly so it was just RO with calmag, then checking the run off for the ppm's to drop to know when it needed more top dressing.

Thanks! I was surprised at how (relatively) healthy it stayed. I chalk up the herm to the stress of being in a cup?

Here's the thing though. Doing it so you can say you did is all I did. Never doing it again. I would definitely use bag-seed or something and not waste a decent plant on it.
That’s kinda why I decided to do it. Just wanna know i can

Don’t wanna turn it into a reg part of the garden or anything

Tho having another variety curing while I’m waiting on the bigger ones to finish won’t be such a bad thing :D

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Never really top dressed before but I do have some dry amendments my buddy gave me to try.

Just wanna make sure I feed them enough but not enough to burn them. With them being smaller you think I should keep the ppms on the lower side ? Or just treat it like any other ?
For what it's worth, I have done it once. Not sure I am the one to ask. Here's my take.

Whether you feed a plant in a 5gal pot a gallon of 1000ppm water, or a solo-cup with a few ounces of 1000ppm water, the theory is the same. The amount you water will be less, the amount of runoff you want to get is less, etc. So basically the same as any grow but on a smaller scale?

The biggest issue, but you know will happen from the start, is that the plant will get rootbound. It drinks a lot faster at the end, but the only solution I know of for that is to repot. Or maybe trimming the roots.

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
Oh - mixing and pH-ing a small amount of feed is a pain, so I used what was mixed for other plants.
Roots has this new soil out I was thinking of giving a try. Suppose to feed your plants for up to 2 months. Like a super soil I guess.

I emailed them to see what week they suggest transplanting bc I know it has to be to hot for seedlings. Think it would be pretty cool to be able to run those 2 Wonka bars in a soil like this so there basically on autopilot until the last 4 weeks of flower or so

In other news coco is fucking expensive.

dankventure

I'm currently doing a grow of all solo cup plants in my nano cabinets. Here's my take:

Flower them before week 6 for sure. Topping them will give you a much more manageable plant, but if you leave it as a main stem you'll more likely get one big cola. I like topping them because it evens the canopy out and gives you a clone if you're growing from seed.

For soil and nutrients currently I'm using a basic organic potting soil and a few bottles of biobizz. I got 5ml syringes to measure my nutrients out when mixing, since I'm really only using 1 liter of water for every 4 plants. If you're using liquid nutrients it is crucial to get those measurements accurate. There's not nearly as much give as mixing 5 gallons. Also I watch the ph like a hawk. I've definitely overshot it by a point or two here and there, and man when there's not a lot of soil to buffer it, it looks really rough really quick.

I don't do any defoliating until the leaf is mostly dead on it's own. The plant needs as many solar panels and storage spaces as it can get and I don't like the idea of taking 10% of it's leaf mass unless I have to.

Oh, and they're really top heavy, especially when they're dry. Be very careful and know that knocking them over is just a rite of passage as a solo cup grower.