General breeding questions

GrowsomethingBill

Dirt Track Maniac 🏆 🏁
So I gotta few questions hope I don’t sound crazy. 1st thing is how long after determining sex does a Male plant have before it releases pollen? Right now he is just showing pre flowers. I want to keep him inside for as long as possible until I can harvest some pollen from him or some of the others depending on selections. But so far he is the healthiest, has the best structure and best smells. Any input is welcome. Thanks and sorry if I ramble. It’s the buzz 😝

GrowsomethingBill

Dirt Track Maniac 🏆 🏁
Alright next questions. How do you guys select males? What do you look for? Also what is the best method for pollinating the lower bud sites and preventing pollination to the rest of the plant or any of the others in the same space? Obviously I’m gonna use a paint brush and remove the female from the flowering space and away from the rest. Should I wait a certain amount of time before returning her? And should I create a barrier of sorts to protect the rest of the plant from being seeded? I know it’s a lot 😂 I know I know…..any help or advice is welcome.

Joebud

Insanely Active Member
Alright next questions. How do you guys select males? What do you look for? Also what is the best method for pollinating the lower bud sites and preventing pollination to the rest of the plant or any of the others in the same space? Obviously I’m gonna use a paint brush and remove the female from the flowering space and away from the rest. Should I wait a certain amount of time before returning her? And should I create a barrier of sorts to protect the rest of the plant from being seeded? I know it’s a lot 😂 I know I know…..any help or advice is welcome.
What came of your breeding project?

Icemud

So I gotta few questions hope I don’t sound crazy. 1st thing is how long after determining sex does a Male plant have before it releases pollen? Right now he is just showing pre flowers. I want to keep him inside for as long as possible until I can harvest some pollen from him or some of the others depending on selections. But so far he is the healthiest, has the best structure and best smells. Any input is welcome. Thanks and sorry if I ramble. It’s the buzz 😝
Male plants can show "balls"/sex during veg light schedule and/or flowering, and generally it seems that once the balls appear, about 7 days to 14 days or so, is when the most mature ones will pop open and drop pollen. You will see the balls change from tiny balls to more of balls on little stems that start to hang down because of their weight. Once the balls start sagging down and get larger, they will be close to dropping pollen.

Not sure what you mean by showing his pre-flowers though, as males don't really develop flowers, it goes from a few balls at the nodes to full on clusters of pollen sacks, followed by full on pollen sack development at the tops.

In flowering, once the clusters start to form and the pollen sacks continue to grow, the plant should drop pollen for about 3 weeks or more until all of the pollen sacks have opened. Most males produce a TON of pollen.

Hope this helps answer your question.

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
From my experience if you have known genetics it's a fair bet the male exhibits 50 50 of the gene pool of that strain. That said I tend to let all my males go and cull them based on lankiness (not always a bad thing depending on genetics) lack of vigor or smell. The humboldt seed company humboldt dream male I grew out was unbelievably vigorous hit 5 ft in about 5 weeks completely neglected in a 5 gallon pot. I've heard others say their males get resin and even female parts too but haven't had the time to let the development go that long.

My run of Lucky Dog Seeds most of the males were very uniform probably due to the number of Bx in the lines. Currently I have three males of Archive fritter licker and sugar biscuits. Two of fritters are different and the sugar biscuits looks similar to the one of the fritters which in turn resemble archives dosido to me and fritter is super dense and bushy. Plan to keep all the pollen.

All the males and females have been chilling in veg since feb. Currently at 16hrs moving to 14 for going outside. The male parts are only showing one at each branch junction. No sacks have opened yet and prefer to let the males do their thing in the first 2 weeks in June and then selectively pollinate branches indoors and reserve pollen for later in the season for the outdoor females.

If you still want a decent crop pollination should be done at least 4 weeks in so you know what the female traits are. I've noticed that when females are pollinated too early it diminishes bud development. It usually only takes about 5 weeks to get viable seed and if you select the areas that get larfy buds the main colas don't get impacted as much which can be harvested and continue to let the seeds develop.

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
Another tip on feeding a seeded plant is a little more nitrogen is needed so using a fish bone with say an npk of 4-12-0

More research is presented here