Fruit and vegetable gardens 2024

Tvanmunhen

Just some dude
I run those and all my other brown carboard through a paper shredder and use it for worm beding, garden paths, and outdoor worm-bin/compost piles.

I have my cover crop almost filled in and the peas and some beans planted. I'll get some pics and update later.
I've heard of this in worm bins just never thought about applicating it outside in the garden.

The thing that made me laugh a bit was a vision of dried out soil with no worms and petrified cardboard tubes. I imagine if the soil is teeming with life they'll take care of it.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Not great pics - I need to wait until later when it's shaded. I have differrent peas in sections along the fences. Those strips of bright yellow are ice hulls around stuff I ave planted already - not much. I got some black turtle beans going, a bush type blackbean that produces well early but peters out pretty quick mid-summer. I have another tray of some dragons tongue and bush limas going to put under the two racks in the upper IMG_9373.JPG
The way those beans grow they bush to about 18" then stop and flower and make beans. They should be well established by the time I get tomatoes in the ground.
IMG_9374.JPG
I just started tomato seeds and the peppers aren't putting out true leaves yet. I have been stuffing randm shit in all retaining-wall-pots I got some sprout peas that are mde for using the pea-shoots in that big pot to make more. Mizuna going to seed next to it that will go to indoor cover crops. Spearming, chamomile, dill and some other herbs.
IMG_9372.JPG
I have two each raspberry, blueberry and fig tree that I need to find permanent homes for. The lieele potatoes seem to be doing ffine in these pots. They are shaded most of the day so it doesn't cook.
IMG_9370.JPG
And I got off my ass and moved about half a ton of cinderblock and pavers to reclaim the fire-pit area for gardening. This is a work in progress, first step being to get fence-to-ground connections made ;)
IMG_9375.JPG

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
20240409_174104.jpg
Roughly outlined a future 4' x 20' bed. I gotta find a spot for the apple tree outside the garden.

Plans for this week:
- Check the air layered tree and transplant (if ready)
- Plant trees into their plots.
- Prune the trees heavily to begin the training
- Move the old apple tree
- Prep all the raised beds
- Transplant strawberries (maybe)
- Fork the ground beds

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
So after almost a year I checked on the air layered branch.
20240410_134648.jpg

I was concerned about the plastic bag digging into the branch and tried to dig out all the plastic causing as little damage as possible.
20240410_135933.jpg

Only to be disappointed.

20240410_140539.jpg

Not a single hint of a root. I waited to plant my trees based on this. No more waiting.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Since we are talking strawberries, I have one single plant I started from seed two winters ago. I set it out last spring and it made a few tiny berries that were super sweet. This year it's a bigger plant and is already putting out the little berry-stem-things with two to three each. I just stuck this on the side of a hill with no soil prep or anything. There's some 6+yr-old plants there that came from my apartment with me. Also stuck in ground with no prep and still making berries.
IMG_9441.JPG
I started a flat of strawberrys this time and I'll have a nicer spot for them. They are middle back. Peppers are green signs, 'maters are red.
The peppers I planted a few seeds per cell and culled a few. and then wondered if I damaged the roots on the keeper doing it. For the tomatoes I just put one seed per cel and only two cels per strain. There are only two I didn't get a germination on and there's plenty of time to start more.
I have marigolds and dahlia at the front and I just learned that the dahlia are like potatoes, they make tubers for roots you can save over winter then replant like a bulb.
IMG_9435.JPG
Here's a view of part of my just-mowed yard. I had to knock down all the grass before it went to seed but the clover and henbit are killing it. Soon I'll just mow to collect mulch.
IMG_9459.JPG
The leaf-cage got a better wall, but the experiment is going well. It is in the shade of the west side off thte house so it gets sun from noon on. 4 potatoes are the main thing, but there's several grain-grass clumps like barley, some herbs, buckwheat in the middle.
IMG_9457.JPG
I have a great green lacewing population it seems. On the window last night and the wall this morning.
IMG_9431.JPG IMG_9440.JPG
I think I have asparagus figured out. let it grow out then mow the old stuff as the new ones pop. I'll have some to eat in about 5 years.
IMG_9462.JPG
The cover crop is lush and some of the radishes are going to seed. When I plant the tomatoes and they get mulched it'll look like a garden. Way too much stuff I need to plant in the ground but last year we had a late frost. Waiting until 4/20 for anything I may need to bring in.
IMG_9461.JPG

Last thing - I found this in the forest under a small magnolia tree - any ideas? It's like two little cotton candy puffballs where leaf buds should be for a little tree. Seriously Dr Seuss looking stuff.
IMG_9447.JPG