Fruit and vegetable gardens 2024

pinner420

Finally on a roll....
I'm really not sure... both of those i got from baker creek catalog couple years back just been saving seeds annually. Those sungolds are heaven. They taste of everything good in the world. The seeds of that plant are gold 42 cents each. I need a new array of bigger pots for this organic style. This hobby has ya learning all the time....

Slowdrawl

PICK YOUR OWN
I'm really not sure... both of those i got from baker creek catalog couple years back just been saving seeds annually. Those sungolds are heaven. They taste of everything good in the world. The seeds of that plant are gold 42 cents each. I need a new array of bigger pots for this organic style. This hobby has ya learning all the time....

A few years back when I had some raised beds I planted a couple sungolds.
Wonderful tomatoes......but! Most insanely vigorous tomato I've ever grown
Damn things wouldn't stop growing, had them trellised and adding support clear into fall.
Wish I had a pic, they ended up being almost 8' tall and took up over half of the 8x8 bed.
So thick you couldn't see thru em!
Never planted them again!

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Caught this just as the sun went down. This is my "fuck mowing" bed #1. Whole leaves blown into the cage then bunched up. It was near the top late fall. I have added coffee grounds and cardboard, extra plant water when it has biology in it, old milk, and that's winter wheat growing in just that. It's compacted but I don't think anything has decomposed much
View attachment 135233
This one has deadfall sticks that were rotted on the tree, mullein trunks, some cardboard and the wheat, but this one had the leaves mulched through the mower first. It's also where I toss any mushrooms I find. This one is right on the edge of the forest and I can move my giant pumpkin somewhere nice before it gets too big.
View attachment 135234
I left these because they were in the new garden
View attachment 135237
This is the plowed area, and all the younger grass is wheat too. but the older dark green is barley. I choppedd the heads for a sprouted seed tea and let them go. Towards the back is another leaf mulch corral. The baren area up close has all the buried masonry under it. That os gonna be a hugel spot, and it's big enough to get creative. The green area is roughly 30' x' 60' of good potential garden with just soil amending and such.
View attachment 135235
And oh, look! The lyin' muthafucka flowers are out! :ROFLMAO:
"hey! look at me! it's spring! plant stuff!" :rolleyes:
View attachment 135236
Must have been an old house there at one time with those flowers. Got a metal detector?

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Maybe a squirrel buried a tuber??
Out here where I live, it's a sign of an old cabin or homestead.
I live in a unique area, goes back to the first pioneers that crossed the Ohio River.
It's still mostly protected/owned by Forest Service.
Mound Builders and giants kinda stuff.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Must have been an old house there at one time with those flowers. Got a metal detector?
Nah, I have daffodills all over my property. They are mainly bulb flowers but they do go to seed. Learned that after it was almost too late last fall. I collected a few and they didn't germinate, so I think they might need to go through a bird first.

Anyway, my house IS the old house on the property 😂 The foundation is on an 1899 survey map. It was flipped when that was the thing and I got it redone and cheap. all new electrical, plumbing, etc. I have a coffee can full of the ceramic wire-guides for the BX cable that was in the attic.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Coldest weather I have had is a week with days around freezing and nights in the low teens. Other than that there have been consistent nights below freezing and the occasional hard frost. I have three things ffrom several I just let go that haf survived the winter. The most amazing is a fucking lettuce! The mizuna from Baker Creek is green that has a thick stalk like celery before the leaves start. Damn thing has been flowering and will likely make seeds. FEBRUARY???
IMG_8871.JPG
I also have horehound which is a semi-medicinal herb by the rock, and a short row of celery. This area has been my compost pile/worm bin for the winter and I'll rake any fresh stuff out into a new pile when I get the garden planted. The celery is right on the edge of the garden where I can plant around it and let it go. Petpetual celery doesn't sound bad.
IMG_8872.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's what I ended up with. Aside from the 5g plastic theres a 10g and three 15g pots for the wall. Since it's intended to be temporary the width gives me room to work making a wall later. With my chipmunk issues I am gonna try doing potatoes in the pots. They all have a layer of rock at the bottom and a layer of chipped wood. But since it's all loose soil it's perfect for root crops. I'll top those off after I plant and get a cover crop on them. I have a day of levelling out that terrace and marking my boundaries before I can cover crop the whole thing. Leaf blower is handy. Just blow the area clean to work then blow it back to cover the bare soil in the evening.
IMG_8874.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I got the main garden sorted now. cardboard in the walking paths (but I need more) and cover crop with a thin layer of rice hulls everywhere else.
Those stainless clothes racks are two sizes. The two in back can fit 8 tomatoes (4 per side) and the rest can fit 6. 40 spots. Now that I know where they are gonna be, peppers are going everywhere they can fit where there's not a rack. I am extending the fence and will have them all around the edge with the ones I wans as main producers in middle, like at the end of a rack. I have the final sections of fence showing up soon so I can finish it off without the rabbit-fence-roll of wire. Now that I have the fences at least spotted I can plant the peas that will grow up them. I hav bush beans going down the center of each rack between the tomatoes, and come climbing bens for the fences later on as the peas start to play out.
IMG_9027.JPG