Fruit and vegetable gardens 2024

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
God dammit! I know political shit isn't permitted, so let's just pretend Trump was never president when I say that moth should be named the "Trump Moth"
I searched to find out what it was and for giggles I searched moth with Trump hair - it's been taken by the
Neopalpa donaldtrumpi
1713461214917.png

But like you I think the Rosy Maple Moth should have taken the prize ;)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Very cool!! Never seen one of those before.
so far that's 2 crazy moths I have put on here. I have plenty of the camoflage ones that look like oak bark.

Only factor I can attribute is ddoing the indoor living soil thing outside. I have a lush cover crop where my tomatoes will be going and stuff fflowering everywhere. There are also no more weeds. If I don't want something growing I'll pull it, but if it doesn't have thorns or cause issues I let it go.

I have quit killing bugs up to and including wasps. When I was using bug killers and such my bug population was limited to mosquitos and those little white moths. I just had a major green lacewing hatch happen and they are everywhere. I have seen many more bumble bees this year too.

All from growing weed on the inside.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I was just out putting the sprinkler on the garden when I realied the thing I have not seen that is usually pretty annoying by now - mosquitos!

I have not had one bite yet and I just realized it. It's been warm enough for them for a bit. I don't know what is eating them but it's nothing that hurts me.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Along the back fence to the right of the gate are "green beauty" peas. They are/were doing the best of all my fence crops. Yesterday I noticed something had eaten most of the tops off and I don't know how that will effect them. But I put a second fence about a foot away just to see what happened. fences work both ways. There in the corner is the shot I had with a .22 while I had my coffee at the back door.
IMG_9528.JPG
If it hadn't been for the greedy bastard climbing into my fence to eat those same peas I'd have never got him - they're quick, but they don't climb well. I guess it was between 10 and 15lbs. How much wood can a woodchuck chuck? I got motherfucking wood right outside the fence and the bastard wanted peas ;) Can't chuck no wood now can ya! It was raining so I moved him later.
IMG_9529.JPG
This is outside the fence just full of random stuff I don't know where to put or stufff that came back. Bloody Dock sorrel, some bee balms and lemon balm mint came back. One sprig of lovage which I don't need since I have celery now, an the middle is a few dwarf tamarind I'll cull all but one but was waiting to see if they survived. Really unique barbecue/smoky smell. I guess the berries are not the best for eating, but it grows into a tree and makes tons, so a sweet ferment for plant food is still a plus if I don't like the berries
IMG_9522.JPG
I moved one fence but these peas don't need it.
IMG_9524.JPG
Dumb woodchuck had these here to eat and didn't even look
IMG_9526.JPG
I am trying an experiment to make mulch in case the rice hulls play out. I started several ramen trays of barley and stuff to plant outside, there's some summer wheat and alfalfa going to the side. I found this 6-slot drainable 1020 insert that is perfect for growing the barley like a microgreen. I snipped one patch today, I'll snip another tomorow, etc, See what happens. The grass dries to nothing at first but eventually you get barley straw
IMG_9548.JPG
My peppers got small pots today and will stay in thjem for a while, but will go outside when weather permits. Still chilly in the evenings. 43 different varieties, but I may keep a few of them inside if they look to stay tiny. I am thinking about keeping all the smaller stature plants in pots.
IMG_9552.JPG
The tomatoes are starting to jump now that they have true leaves. I think they'll go right into soil, but inside a 1g hole of prepared soil with a gopher mesh liner. All the red tags are different strains, the white ones are duplicates to experiment with outside the fence. Whether in pots or in a fence elsewhere. Sorghum on the right.
IMG_9547.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I am going to try starting a few determinate tomatoes every month and keep a rotation going until fall. They ripen almost all at once then they're done, so a succession of harvests might be cool. The seeds cost next to nothing, but if I grow one far enough away from other tomatoes I can save seed.

I have been collecting buckets full of stuff from the woods to make my own potting soil, but for outside. I have an old oak that was standing dead with the poison ivy that killed it holding it up. Poison ivy thick as your thigh with about 8 vines holding up a 40' tree. I cut the poison ivy (with a chainsaw in a tyvex suit and I still got it) and when it finally died the tree fell. the wood that was left will crumble in your fingers like wet coco coir. But it has ants so I have to haul it out and let it set a bit until they leave. There is mycelium growing all through it like fat roots.

that is the base for the soil with compost and such. I have pumice to add and some peat but I'll be top-dressing the tomatoes in pots so all they really need is good dirt.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Spread a good layer of dead wet leaves on top and you got an awesome base.
Everything is still living in the leaf-pile experiment. I'd love to be able to harvest potatoes with a leaf rake. But it's open to air so there's no heat from decomposition building up. I think having them on top is good mulch for a pot, but I don't think having a lot in the mix would be good. The compost I'll be adding will be sifted from that kind of stuff tho.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The places I have been excavating for the garden show anywhere from 6-12 inches of good stuff before the lighter colored clay layer. And that's just on the edge of the forest near the house. I can get great soil with just a shovel and a sifter. And it is mostly decomposed leaf litter and sticks. Just lazy I guess.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I just had a stoner idea I needed to jot down.

tomatoes and peppers in bottomless pots - no transplant and it would protect the rootball from chipmunks.

I can still use the gopher mesh and bury them a little but it solves a lot of potential issues.

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
I'll be trying again but I want to let the tree recover after it's move. What I plan on doing is cutting it back next spring and grafting a bunch of the cuttings pruned from the other apple and pear trees.

I also noticed the rootstock was making shoots so I'm going to try and propagate those to graft more trees. I want to try another method also I saw on a Skilcult video that allows a lot of production AND variety. That dude breeds apple trees (aint nobody got time for that)
It looks like this, I think it's called a cordon method.
Screenshot_20240423_102732_Chrome.jpg