Fruit and vegetable gardens 2023

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
Go to whole foods or some similar organic place and get some in February. Make slips.
All my inside grow dirt ends up doing potatoes outside, either sweets or regs, in fabric bags. After that crop, the bagged soil goes into a pile and gets a cover crop like beans, clover or vetch, and then gets turned and put into bed or bags for something else the following season.........because the new dirt is always coming in, it works out. :) But I live on a rock so any dirt is welcome.

Also, the thing about slips is they last forever in a jar of water and around here, I can craigslist slips for $2 each, especially if you have reds or purples, Purples are the highest. You won't get rich but a making a couple hundos is easy and goes directly to the seed fund. :)

Making slips..........bury the plant long ways, cover half in dirt, half exposed...........done...........fuck all that water toothpick shit ;)
I did that earlier in the season (around mid May) but I should have started like you said February or March.
I used a mushroom container and coco.
20230602_145848.jpg

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
Trying something new with the wood stacks and took the old post holding up the stacks to make a scratch pit for the chickens. Gonna fill it with all the mess from cutting and splitting. The plan is to fence it off in the spring and plant stuff for the chickens.
20231111_162038.jpg

Chopped up the big pumpkins and spread them in a new bed and along the orchard rows.
20231111_161932.jpg

And now to wait and plan for 2024.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
This is 6/7 of my birdhouse gourd plant(s). I left them out past the first frost that killed all the vines then brought them in a week or so later. I lost one to rot but the rest should be fine. I think it was two plants each with a separate color scheme but maybe not. They tip over easy, and the one I got last year broke at the neck while hanging and got smashed. Supposed to take 3 months to dry then I can drill a birdhouse hole and dump all the seeds. I need to find another milk crate and I can stack them out of the way somewhere and forget about them.
IMG_7557.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
For the first time I am taking proper advantage of the free mulch falling everywhere. The fence that was around my garden is now corralling a fat layer of mulch to decompose over winter and make a garden next year.

First, I have a great spot for herbs. It gets good sun until noon-ish then gets shaded. By the house. Like in the picture ;) I have the corrals' just loosely staked in the ground and one side open so I could just leaf-blower everything into it. I added a layer of shredded cardboard, and will continue that for a but. This one got my old Fox Farms Big Bloom I had leftover since it's basically organic-ish.
IMG_7611.JPG
This one was inspired by the ginormous pumpkin seeds I got from @Fiddler's Green . There will be massive sunflowers too. For this one there is a good base of leaves, but I have lots of dead-fall oak limbs that were rotted before they hit the ground that are gonna start a hugel-ish thing once those leaves rot down. I covered it with the shredded cardboard and then watered both with some old LAB.
IMG_7614.JPG

Tvanmunhen

Just some dude
This is 6/7 of my birdhouse gourd plant(s). I left them out past the first frost that killed all the vines then brought them in a week or so later. I lost one to rot but the rest should be fine. I think it was two plants each with a separate color scheme but maybe not. They tip over easy, and the one I got last year broke at the neck while hanging and got smashed. Supposed to take 3 months to dry then I can drill a birdhouse hole and dump all the seeds. I need to find another milk crate and I can stack them out of the way somewhere and forget about them.
View attachment 132566
It will be interesting to see how much shrinking happens. Very cool plant and sounds like a fun little project. Should make for some good bird pics!!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It will be interesting to see how much shrinking happens. Very cool plant and sounds like a fun little project. Should make for some good bird pics!!
I don't think they shrink, but they rot very easily from what I've read. Basically they have to dry until they turn into a rattle with the seeds being the little rattle things inside.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
For the first time I am taking proper advantage of the free mulch falling everywhere. The fence that was around my garden is now corralling a fat layer of mulch to decompose over winter and make a garden next year.

First, I have a great spot for herbs. It gets good sun until noon-ish then gets shaded. By the house. Like in the picture ;) I have the corrals' just loosely staked in the ground and one side open so I could just leaf-blower everything into it. I added a layer of shredded cardboard, and will continue that for a but. This one got my old Fox Farms Big Bloom I had leftover since it's basically organic-ish.
View attachment 132740
This one was inspired by the ginormous pumpkin seeds I got from @Fiddler's Green . There will be massive sunflowers too. For this one there is a good base of leaves, but I have lots of dead-fall oak limbs that were rotted before they hit the ground that are gonna start a hugel-ish thing once those leaves rot down. I covered it with the shredded cardboard and then watered both with some old LAB.
View attachment 132741
I just rolled my mulch pile over the other day,before it turned cold!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I just rolled my mulch pile over the other day,before it turned cold!
I'm not doing the thermophyllic thing. I prefer worm-composting. Just let them have at it at their pace. I don't have manures or anything that needs tp be made safe through temperature.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I'm not doing the thermophyllic thing. I prefer worm-composting. Just let them have at it at their pace. I don't have manures or anything that needs tp be made safe through temperature.
a bit of everything egg shell, old mussel shell ,rotten wood /tree limbs and such, coffee grounds ,bananna peels ,junk veggies, and assorted other goodies! take the hoe to it and flip it over a couple times a year!no problem getting worms for bait,there are plenty in the pile!

D

Deleted member 60

We amass and pile leaves we run over with the mower on our raised strawberry bed and a newly planted garlic bed in a similar fashion. I piled it a good 18" high this year just in case...like last Winter...we don't get ample snow cover. In past years we had great successes...but last year even with a foot or so of leaves/etc we lost quite a few plants over the Winter because the snow just didn't come per the norm. Hopefully this year we'll fare a bit better.

We're still composting cardboard as well. I got 2 nice loads mixed with hemp and pine bedding and chicken shit about 3/4 done this Summer and mixed em/piled em up to age. From here on out I'm only going to use the hemp bedding for the chicks because it seems much more inline with the composting process. I always worry about wood and how it can possibly fuck with N, pH, and other things.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
We amass and pile leaves we run over with the mower on our raised strawberry bed and a newly planted garlic bed in a similar fashion. I piled it a good 18" high this year just in case...like last Winter...we don't get ample snow cover. In past years we had great successes...but last year even with a foot or so of leaves/etc we lost quite a few plants over the Winter because the snow just didn't come per the norm. Hopefully this year we'll fare a bit better.

We're still composting cardboard as well. I got 2 nice loads mixed with hemp and pine bedding and chicken shit about 3/4 done this Summer and mixed em/piled em up to age. From here on out I'm only going to use the hemp bedding for the chicks because it seems much more inline with the composting process. I always worry about wood and how it can possibly fuck with N, pH, and other things.
iv'e got three that have to go ,all soft wood rots fast!