For all those off topic posts.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
You will have to use the same clones nutes etc to have any kind of idea. I'm throwing my bet on the led. More stable environment. More par. Better spectrum. More angles of penetration. I dont sell leds btw lmao.
Ok there u go 👍. I too give the slight edge to led

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Sounds right on par with what I was saying. No pun intended.
I'm confused...It says what I've been saying all along...

ChilLED said:
You might be surprised to learn that in a closed system (we’ll explain this later), they produce as much heat as high-pressure sodium (HPS), metal halide (MH), the extremely inefficient incandescent, or even a space heater of the same wattage. This would be the case even if the light was 100% efficient at converting electricity to light. Shocked? Keep reading to find out why.
ChilLED said:
The final reason we’ll discuss that LED lights produce heat is another form of light absorption. Much of the light that leaves your LEDs will get turned into heat when it eventually gets absorbed by some object in your grow space. This is what we meant above by a “closed system.” Assuming none of the light the LEDs produce will exit in your grow space, it will almost all eventually turn into heat.
ChilLED said:
Calculating the amount of heat your grow light produces is easy. You simply take the total amount of watts used (the wall plug wattage) and multiply it by 3.41 to get the total BTUs produced per hour. (BTUs or British thermal units are a standard heat measurement within the HVAC industry and one BTU is roughly equal to the heat produced by one 4 in long match). As stated earlier, this is true regardless of what kind of light it is – LED, HPS, MH, or any other.

Example: 400w * 3.41 = 1364 BTUs/hr

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
For the record, this is what I said and you told me I was wrong.

Do you just like to argue for the sake of argument? I never said efficiency doesn't matter, I said that running a higher wattage fixture at a lower wattage doesn't produce less heat than running a fixture at it's rated wattage, but that it can actually add to the longevity of the LEDs. I've been in the electronics industry for almost as long as you've been alive and we need to factor in heat generation for rack cooling. So, if efficiency effects heat generation then please explain to me why we always use the total watts used by the equipment in the rack to spec in proper cooling for the rack and/or equipment room? You are confusing the need to use LESS WATTS when a light is MORE EFFICIENT with a 300W LED producing the same amount of heat as a 300W MH bulb. This is a basic law of physics that even you can't defeat. The MH bulb will radiate more heat from the bulb, but the overall heat produced by that bulb and ballast will be the same as the heat generated from a 300W LED setup and it's driver.
Hey @JohnFonda, can you tell me where to enter the "efficiency" into this Watts to BTU/hr equation?
BTW, I'm not being a dick, I just left those as they were so you wouldn't think I edited them ;)

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
The key part to all of this is the closed system. We do not grow in closed systems. I dont think it was mentioned till later in our discussions till the law of conservation part I believe. If you run these lights in a closed system they will fail due to overheating. Especially the hps. If plants released as much heat as they converted into chemical energy during their processes they wouldnt grow.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
The key part to all of this is the closed system. We do not grow in closed systems. I dont think it was mentioned till later in our discussions till the law of conservation part I believe. If you run these lights in a closed system they will fail due to overheating. Especially the hps. If plants released as much heat as they converted into chemical energy during their processes they wouldnt grow.
Their definition of a "closed system" is a grow tent/room that doesn't let light escape.

ChilLED said:
The final reason we’ll discuss that LED lights produce heat is another form of light absorption. Much of the light that leaves your LEDs will get turned into heat when it eventually gets absorbed by some object in your grow space. This is what we meant above by a “closed system.” Assuming none of the light the LEDs produce will exit in your grow space, it will almost all eventually turn into heat.