Does anyone despise AC like I do?

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
It's funny...when I was a kid I loved going to my neighbors house because they had AC and my dad refused to run even a window unit in our house. Now that I'm an adult, and own my own home, I try to go as long as I can without putting the window unit in downstairs and almost never put it in upstairs, because I hate having the house closed up in the summer. I like to have all the windows opened up for the fresh air, and nice breezes, even when it's hot as balls outside.

It has been pretty humid here for the last 2 weeks so my wife got me to cave yesterday and I put the window unit in downstairs. This morning I was thinking that I really need to get a small window unit in the grow room that is upstairs, because the plants are in late flower, the humidity in the tent was in the mid 70% range, and I don't see any end to the humidity coming anytime soon. The thing that really sucked is that the entire 2nd floor of my house is on a single 15A breaker so I just had to run a 20A circuit through the hot attic and install a new outlet that will now be dedicated to the AC and the tent, but the tent is already down to 62% RH.

What's funny is that my office is next to my grow room and I'm in here, with the door closed and windows open, because I still want the fresh air :ROFLMAO:

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
It's funny...when I was a kid I loved going to my neighbors house because they had AC and my dad refused to run even a window unit in our house. Now that I'm an adult, and own my own home, I try to go as long as I can without putting the window unit in downstairs and almost never put it in upstairs, because I hate having the house closed up in the summer. I like to have all the windows opened up for the fresh air, and nice breezes, even when it's hot as balls outside.

It has been pretty humid here for the last 2 weeks so my wife got me to cave yesterday and I put the window unit in downstairs. This morning I was thinking that I really need to get a small window unit in the grow room that is upstairs, because the plants are in late flower, the humidity in the tent was in the mid 70% range, and I don't see any end to the humidity coming anytime soon. The thing that really sucked is that the entire 2nd floor of my house is on a single 15A breaker so I just had to run a 20A circuit through the hot attic and install a new outlet that will now be dedicated to the AC and the tent, but the tent is already down to 62% RH.

What's funny is that my office is next to my grow room and I'm in here, with the door closed and windows open, because I still want the fresh air :ROFLMAO:
I refuse to put my AC on in my house and my car . The old lady isn't too happy that I got one crankin 24/7 for the plants though lmao

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
What are you talking about???geeze man crank that shit.

Its a comfy 68 in here....90 out there. The pool is nice.

I love air conditioning..it makes summer nicer. :D
I wish I knew why I hate it so much. I even have pretty bad allergies, so it would probably be best if I did close up the house, but I don't mind being hot as long as I'm not soaked in sweat. I'm at work in my office right now, and it's currently 90F @ 60% humidity in here, but I'm wearing shorts and a tank top and the ceiling fan keeps me very comfortable. My wife thinks I'm crazy...and she's probably right!

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
Thats pretty funny. We are supposedly modern man with our smart phones and our almost fully automated lifestyles yet we still like to sweat our balls off to feel like we are in touch with the outdoors . Same applies to the winter season . Watch someone light the most ancient form of heat invented .... the good old camp fire and we all swarm around being smoked out like moths to the front porch light . Some things will never change.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
I’m lucky. Hear in Alberta we rarely go into the zone where you need AC. Mid 20s most of the summer. I’m an open all the windows and let Mother Nature in type. Love a breeze coming in the bedroom window at night. If I was in an area that routinely gets into the 40s ya AC would feel nice. The flower girls like the AC though.
There are sure a lot of factors involved. I chopped one 2x4 6 plants, added a couple seed moms and have one more 2x4 the flower room with 3 plants on it. RH sure went down. High 60s before now mid 50s. I’ll take it LOL

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have the AC in my whole house set to accommodate a tent and a closet. Go live in a cave if you don't like it! You must live somewhere with few seasons.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
I run in-room Ac units in the bedrooms only. Loud as fuck, which you get used to - ie white noise and they make it nice and cool to sleep. I hate trying to sleep and sweat at the same time. The rest of the house is open windows if its not storming out.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
When I was a kid i lived right in the middle of Toronto. You talk about hot. Damn. Your face sucking on the screen for a breath of air. The fan blowing fetid hot air on you...holy shit it was hot.

In the early 70s my old man won this irish sweepstakes thing..something to do with buying a lottery ticket based on the horse race for the Catholic church by my dads neighbor this red headed irishman...wow those gummies bring back the story..

Anyway he won 800 bucks and that was the hottest summer we ever had...he went right out and bought a 5000 BTU window mount and it cost 800 bucks taxes in..in like 75. He rigged it with blankets so we could all get some cool air and we finally slept for the first time in longer than a week.

When you are surrounded by ashphalt and cars and a steady heat (currently we are in about 10 days of 90 plus degrees.

I dont give a shit what it costs. I like it to be cold as a tomb when i sleep.

And i like to go get a good and hard baked in the sun thing too..hot...like the guy in spain in Sexy Beast hot...

And then go in the pool and freeze in the house...ahh...i think i need a freezie to get a shiver on.

Global warming was cancelled due to covid so magic 8 ball said let it rip.

D

Deleted member 60

No AC here. The house is well insulated and we have some nice shade trees looming above....so like today..it was less than 75F inside the house @ 4PM while it was 95F+ outside. (w 12% humidity) Just gotta keep the windows/doors shut until about 7PM and then we open everything up. Still 2 blanket nights here....was 45F this AM....so sleeping...with the creek in the background and the windows wide open is mandatory and damn nice. I grew up in KC and I don't miss/could never live in that kinda nighttime heat/ humidity again. No way.

My grow room/tent AC approach is to just run one panel for now and lights on from 8 Pm to 8AM.. Only 5 plants in there anyway....so good timing. Even with a full garage of lights back in the day I never had to run AC. It'd be a no go here for personal grow in Summer if I had to run an AC to do it.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I certainly do envy those with low humidity...but we essentially run full AC here for 3 months. And the lady keeps it cold, sometimes I’m sleeping in sweats and a beanie.
I had heat issues last summer in the tents - adjusted my AC to 72F and it fixed it. Been there ever since - doesn't kick on all the time because my house is also well insulated - built in the 1890's. I think the old house is to credit for my low humidity. Damn sure ain't because of the weather outside.

D

Deleted member 60

I certainly do envy those with low humidity...but we essentially run full AC here for 3 months. And the lady keeps it cold, sometimes I’m sleeping in sweats and a beanie.
I was gonna talk about how we pay for the low humidity/lack of AC in the winter..... but once again...you have us beat on cold temps/etc. across the board. The Midwest (a.k.a..."the Tropics" here)can be brutal on both sides of the coin. Yuk.