DIY Cure Box/Humidor/Storage

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
the only reliable barrier would be a metal foil.
Or glass or ceramic - which would not fit that aplication. Both would work great for storing weed, Mylar = metal foil - already in use.
Ceramic usually doesn't have air-tight going on, but it's would also probably be good for dry/cure but not for storage.
Glass is perfect but lets in light. Amber glass is my go-to. I have some amber Mason jars, but also some generic smaller size jars.

For longer term storage I vacuum seal the mason jars.

Not Given

Has chucked
I'm drying this time in my tent.
I think I have better control their than my closet... Obviously.
It's been going on for four days. I just stripped the leaves, love that smell of ADxAC, kerocine with citrus.
I plan on deep disinfecting my whole place, I'd do it today but it's my birthday, got a couchlock going.

Not Given

Has chucked
It just occurred to me I been smoking weed for 50 years, and growing almost as long. Except I never got serious about growing till the last couple of years.
The dry is doing much better in the tent ( 6 days in ). The contest plant cured well, that is some heavy hitting weed :)

Last edited:

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
Heavy enough to take you back 50 years!

@H.A.F. do you put RH packs in the vacuum sealed jars for long term storage? What is the longest you (or anyone for that matter) stored before breaking the seal?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Heavy enough to take you back 50 years!

@H.A.F. do you put RH packs in the vacuum sealed jars for long term storage? What is the longest you (or anyone for that matter) stored before breaking the seal?
I haven't been growing long enough to get to "long term" of flower. If it's great I smoke it, if it's less than great I hash it now. Hash stores a long time.

That said, yes on the rH packs. i do that and the vacuuming a lot during the initial jarring though. If you think it's dry enough but you are not sure vacuum it with a 62% pack. If it's not dry enough it will still lose weight. Too dry and it can gain weight. I'm talking less than a gram swing either way. If it loses more than that I just roll it back out of the jar for a while. It may feel a little moist or squishy compared to when you put it under vacuum as well.

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
I've been playing with the vacuum to see what it does and it's like you say.
The vacuum jar has everything consistent throughout (supple) while the traditional burping has crisp (candied) outside but is moist and stringy pliable.

I wouldn't bet my crop on one method, however I will play with a little bit here and there based on the different types of bud structure I'm seeing in the garden.

Thanks for the reply vato

bobross

Going with the humidor theory, there should be wood. You don't need it for a kegerator, but a wood panel lining would take care of any condensation issues. Cedar is king for that type of thing.
I collect cigars and have many humidors that use (spanish) cedar. The only problem with Cedar is that it adds a very noticable flavor to your buds. (and cigars, but its OK with cigars). This is not a bad thing, but some may like their buds to stay pure without taking on the cedar flavor.

There are some weed specific humidors out there that use a different wood than cedar just for this reason.

slap me, this is an old thread, I never learn.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I collect cigars and have many humidors that use (spanish) cedar. The only problem with Cedar is that it adds a very noticable flavor to your buds. (and cigars, but its OK with cigars). This is not a bad thing, but some may like their buds to stay pure without taking on the cedar flavor.

There are some weed specific humidors out there that use a different wood than cedar just for this reason.

slap me, this is an old thread, I never learn.
For what it's worth, my cedar wardrobe / drying box is old. There is wrinkled laquer on the outside and there is no real cedar smell. I debated sanding it to 'freshen' up the woog and bring that back, then thought about the possible 'infusion' of aroma. Aged wood will not have those properties, but will still have the anti-fungal/mold/mildew properties forever.

bobross

For what it's worth, my cedar wardrobe / drying box is old. There is wrinkled laquer on the outside and there is no real cedar smell. I debated sanding it to 'freshen' up the woog and bring that back, then thought about the possible 'infusion' of aroma. Aged wood will not have those properties, but will still have the anti-fungal/mold/mildew properties forever.
Nice, as I say the cedar isnt a bad thing, it just depends on what you want. Cedar is also nice for maintaining RH. You can season it (wet it multiple times until the RH is stable).. I just thought I'd mention that cedar will add flavor to your buds as I've cured in cedar a few times. The cedar odor is noticable especially with mild strains like Northern Lights.