Distilled vs. RO Water

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Is there a significant difference between distilled and RO water for our application? I'm running RO in hydro and it's working quite well. Would distilled water be the same? I ask because I might have found a distilled water machine (not tabletop, it's a decent sized unit that almost looks like an ac unit) for a decent price. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with water distiller machines - pros/cons vs. RO.

Thanks (y)

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Thanks H. So for all intents and purposes distilled is better? Or is the difference marginal since I'm using bennie tea?
Distilled you could go sterile and not have issues. Majority of pathogens come from the water supply.
Most distilled makers only do about 5 gallons a day so you would better off staying with RO and using tea. Distilled is good for cloning and shit though. All I would use

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Distilled you could go sterile and not have issues. Majority of pathogens come from the water supply.
Most distilled makers only do about 5 gallons a day so you would better off staying with RO and using tea. Distilled is good for cloning and shit though. All I would use
Just saw that this machine makes only 7 gal a day so lines up with your experience. Would be cool though.

PhatNuggz

Distilled means no pathogens.
Ro can still have pathogens.
Wrong answer.

they're simply 2 different means to the same end.

Distilled super heats the water collects the evaporate into a separate container It's not at all energy efficient.

RO uses a carbon prefilter, which catches 95%+ of any pathogens. A UV light can be added, but not needed when converting municipal water, which uses chlorine to kill potential pathogens, RO uses water pressure or a booster pump to push the water through a thin film membrane which is inside a cylinder; the minerals are sent to drain.

I use a 6 stage iSpring RO. They're really inexpensive. I also use mine for cooking and drinking water

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Wrong answer.

Distilled super heats the water collects the evaporate into a separate container It's not at all energy efficient.

RO uses a carbon prefilter, which catches 95%+ of any pathogens. A UV light can be added, but not needed when converting municipal water, which uses chlorine to kill potential pathogens, RO uses water pressure or a booster pump to push the water through a thin film membrane which is inside a cylinder; the minerals are sent to drain.

I use a 6 stage iSpring RO. They're really inexpensive. I also use mine for cooking and drinking water
I have been using my tap water which is less than 100 ppm. I do run what i use for growing thru a carbon filter and then a sediment filter. Would that same percentage of pathogens apply to me? Does my carbon filter remove 95% of the pathogens is what i am asking?

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Is there a significant difference between distilled and RO water for our application? I'm running RO in hydro and it's working quite well. Would distilled water be the same? I ask because I might have found a distilled water machine (not tabletop, it's a decent sized unit that almost looks like an ac unit) for a decent price. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with water distiller machines - pros/cons vs. RO.

Thanks (y)
I am just guessing but i can't imagine that distilling unit would be cheap to run. Especially having to heat the water. I am also assuming what pathogens do get thru the RO Hydro guard should take care of.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Wrong answer.

How is this a wrong answer? You want pythium use RO . You dont want pythium use distilled. I can show you truck loads of personal pics of root rot vs not. How about a whole tray of white roots and put some ro water in a spray bottle and spray em down.
If your source water is contaminated the RO ain't gonna do shit unless you have a UV filter installed as a last stage. @Dustjesus check this out haha

Dustjesus

Insanely Active Member
Wrong answer.

My water comes out tap at 150. City water. Most have moved from chlorine to chloramine. Less dissipation over time. That said. I can just about guarantee I've spent 10 times more in this pythium battle than an ispring ro unit. Pathogens make it through RO. As you said. MINERALS are sent to the drain. I've done countless experiments. The cloramine/chlorine keeps them at bay. I think a leading cause of such varied results across the fucking GLOBE with indoor gardening is ONE thing. Source water. Run my water through your expensive ro and dump it in any hydroponics system I dare you.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Carbon doesn’t remove any pathogens. Nore does the 5 micron. The membrane removes most but I’m guessing what makes it through colonizes the rest of the system.

Distilled is going to cost you a shit tun of electricity. Think boiling off 7gallons a day and condensing that 7gallons.
Distilled would be superior water but with the superior price.
I use RO my well is 600ppm.
I may have to look into a uv for my storage tank. I would like to hang
One in the tank and run it for a few min a day to keep it free of nasties.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
I have been using my tap water which is less than 100 ppm. I do run what i use for growing thru a carbon filter and then a sediment filter. Would that same percentage of pathogens apply to me? Does my carbon filter remove 95% of the pathogens is what i am asking?
No RO does NOT remove pathogens. I have a severe case of diatoms in my water supply. The chlorine they use to treat doesnt do diddly shit. I still get boat loads of pathogens using RO water. Than when u use your source water to spray and clean your equipment your right back to square 1. It's taken me years to finally beat pathogens and with the help of my homie we both put this bullshit to bed.

PhatNuggz

My water comes out tap at 150. City water. Most have moved from chlorine to chloramine. Less dissipation over time. That said. I can just about guarantee I've spent 10 times more in this pythium battle than an ispring ro unit. Pathogens make it through RO. As you said. MINERALS are sent to the drain. I've done countless experiments. The cloramine/chlorine keeps them at bay. I think a leading cause of such varied results across the fucking GLOBE with indoor gardening is ONE thing. Source water. Run my water through your expensive ro and dump it in any hydroponics system I dare you.
It sounds like your last sentence is taking a shot at me? Please explain. My RO cost < $300

jpcyan

Really Active Member
Distilled is a great option if you live in a location that gets lots of sun.
I've built several small scale solar distiller/ pasteurizers for summer use here.
The cost of purchased energy is the downside to distilling. Its not a fast process and doesnt produce quantity quickly.
But you dont have to superheat or boil to distill. Just heat to above 165ºF, as in pasteurization, and collect the condensate.
I'm working on a small system that attaches to the outdoor wood boiler I use all year for pre-heated water to my electric water heater tank and my homes primary heat source in winter. Its set at 160ºF but is adjustable. Might work for some extractions as well or distilling spirits :D
Still, I much prefer distilled to any other water source for just about all my uses. Though carbon filtered open catch rain water is my go-to before tap or RO for large quantity garden use.
Good luck spyralout, great info Mr Heisen. Waiting for that book as well ;)