Curing for the first time. When open the jar its smells

DeeGetmoney

First time grower I've fleshed the and hung it to dry. While hanging the flowers smell good but, once I put them in the jar to cure I checked on them the next day and the flowers smelled bad . Can someone tell me a how to correct this or point me in the right direction. Is this normal and I should be patient? Thanks

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
Probably weren’t quite dry enough before they went into jars.

And when you first put them into jars, they need to be slowly acclimated. For the first couple days open them up a few times a day, then for the next few days open them once a day. Around 1.5-2 weeks from the chop they’re probably ready for long term storage in jars.

You can also purchase humidity strips to show the humidity level in the jars, and Boveda packs that will take the guess work out of getting to the perfect humidity level.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
.Dry them more than you think...the stems should SNAP when you bend them. You can get the hang of doing it more damp and burping it as you go but start with it more dry and you will have better success at the start.

I left a branch of dank for a month once...it was kind of hidden in the dryer...it smoked like a champ.

Dont worry about over drying it. And like @MtRainDog said

I think most of us have had this very same problem when we started...in our excitement put it in the jar..to have our first smoke.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I have to get it out of the dryer in 3 days...slow on a tray after. I am in the same spot its so dry it makes it easy.

Nugz

First time grower I've fleshed the and hung it to dry. While hanging the flowers smell good but, once I put them in the jar to cure I checked on them the next day and the flowers smelled bad . Can someone tell me a how to correct this or point me in the right direction. Is this normal and I should be patient? Thanks
Do you have a Hygrometer in the jar? The humidity should be between 55 and 62 in the jar. If it is higher dump the buds into a paper bag for a couple days or stir and leave the jar open for a day then put the lid on and recheck. When the humidity holds in the range then you won't need to keep opening the jar except to smoke.

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
Do you have a Hygrometer in the jar? The humidity should be between 55 and 62 in the jar. If it is higher dump the buds into a paper bag for a couple days or stir and leave the jar open for a day then put the lid on and recheck. When the humidity holds in the range then you won't need to keep opening the jar except to smoke.
Paper bags definitely work in lieu of hanging. i usually go straight from chop into paper bags. you only want to put just enough for about 2 layers of bud in the bottom of each bag. move them around everyday so they dry evenly. but yeah definitely works too.

Punisher84

Just some asshole
Buy a bunch of cheap hygrometers. I hang and dry. Toss a few buds in a jar with a meter. Check in a hour, that will be an indication where you’re at. I jar at 65ish % rh and burp/leave jars open over night as needed. Takes a couple days to get it to 62%. After that I burp every day briefly, for a week or so then after that once a week

yougrowyourway

illgrowmyway
Buy a bunch of cheap hygrometers. I hang and dry. Toss a few buds in a jar with a meter. Check in a hour, that will be an indication where you’re at. I jar at 65ish % rh and burp/leave jars open over night as needed. Takes a couple days to get it to 62%. After that I burp every day briefly, for a week or so then after that once a week
This.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
What everyone else said about drying...

Don't fill the jars. Burping is to replace the air in the jar - so there needs to be air in the jar. I go about 3/4 full with a 62% pack thrown in.

Also - gravity. At first it will settle to the bottom of the jar and stick together. I store the jars on their side, and roll them whenever I think about it. You can see when they start tumbling like lotto balls in the hopper.

Last - I don't think you can burp it too much. Feel the buds too. If they still feel soft, they need more air time. You can dump it out of the jar, leave the jar open to let it air out too.

Punisher84

Just some asshole
I think of it like shooting a machine gun. Don't aim straight for the target, walk the rounds in to the target.. If you've never shot a machine gun then well, that's unfortunate.