Compost teamwork

Jewels

Bon~Fire
Dung, Hay, Dirt
Dung, Hay, DirtCapture+_2019-08-16-19-11-39(1).png
It took a few months , but they are really putting together a quality product.

Interesting stuff, that bunny manure; despite having the highest nitrogen content of any banyard dung, it is also the "coldest" manure.
Twice devoured, it can actually be used as a planting medium.
Anus to table - no composting required 🤭

jpcyan

Really Active Member
Cool stuff! You just use as a soil amendant straight? no composting needed?
Working on figuring out a good method for chicken manure in PBH bedding. probably need it compost some.
nice rabbits 🐇🐇

Jewels

Bon~Fire
Chicken squirts come hot, nothing ever grows in a chicken run. Cut thoseshitz with something brown and fluffy, like straw.
We only got the rabbits in May. I have been turning the dung and bedding under, into the compost pile. The hay takes forever to break down. I was reading recently about how "cold" the bunny manure is. I read that I (would) need to collect urine as well, to warm things up.

Also, more good fortune, my neighbour noticed that big white beast and offered to bring us luttuce.
I replied "Sure, as much as you can find".
The New Zealand white bunny 'Æthena' is just over 12lbs, she can hork back the greenery like no bunnies business. My wife spoils her with exspensive produce.
Little did I realize, my neighbour works in a kitchen, and the luttuce started showing up by the bushels.
20190816_144328.jpg
We are getting a full shopping bag, 5 times a week. As it is more than the bunnies can consume, I layer it, and bury it in the worm pile; in an attempt to warm up the manure. No more yard waste and lawn clippings - My compost is now (invasive) weed free!
I still am having trouble getting the 'Timothy Hay' to disappear. I may have to wait out the winter,,,I dont know how to speed it along.

jpcyan

Really Active Member
NIce score! Have you tried straw?? Horse manure? Ive tried grass, and weed hay but always end up with weeds.

I got a load of horse manure today from the neighbors who stable my girl.
Spent half the day with shovel in hand. But its nice n hot for compost if i get the fresh. I try to get half n half. The dry old stuff for pasteurizing.
Scored a large maple wood chip pile from another.

Jewels

Bon~Fire
My old man always used year old cow dung on the lawns. They would berm it 2 or 3 feet high and let it winter.
Slightly off topic - but with the run off of your berm, you now have all the ingredients you need to make that loud stuff that some of the old-timers used in their heart pills.

Anywho, I recommended straw because it is brown matter and geometricly porous. Chicknshitz is wet and fine. The straw will add the structure and fluff needed to avoid mechanical packing and anaerobic putricity.
If you have the real estate go wide not deep most of this action happens in the presence of oxygen. Avoid flax straw, that stuff is eternal. - good worm bedding though.

Its bunnies for the win. I got a sweet line on hay. There is an irrigation farmer out here that has a contract to grow throrobred (sp?) race horse feed for Kentucky Derby contestants. Weed free and top notch stuff. The rest of the bunny diet is leafy greens. No seed. No weeds.
Other animals will attempt to produce such a fine product. Even cows have developed four stomachs, to try and compete with my compost machines. Are cows willing to turn around and process that shit twice ? Nope. Bunnies will.

Alfalfa is waaay to hot,,,like spinach. You can xxplod a cow with that stuff.
Fun at the farm. I only look like a city kid.
This thread gets better all the time ! And still on topic.

One more fun fact here.
Not only is bunny soil good directly in garden soil , bunny turd is also acceptable an acceptable food supply for tilapia.
For real.
Bunny shits in fish, fish shits in plants, buds go boom.

I will put my sweet turds up against any recipie.
Ther is only one other critter I can think of that may out do my sweet Æthena.
Muskeg swamps build peat and constantly acidify thier biome.
@Uncle Romulus could you plant a green flag in a big old moose turd for me? The high cellulose and low Ph may sprout a tree.

jpcyan

Really Active Member
Im not even gonna mention gettin bunnies to my wife.. I spend the first hr of every day just feeding water, taking care of pets/animals. All it would take is " Hey you think maybe we should get some bunnies?" Id be building another pen in less than a week. Plus I have large male cat that has a bunny fetish, he absolutely loves the wild ones.. for dinner.

Jewels

Bon~Fire
I went on a culture hike. 3 locations.
Creekside- sand, black muck.
Capture+_2019-08-19-10-59-51.png
Looking for fungi
Capture+_2019-08-19-11-01-15.png
I could see the wormholes in the clay
Capture+_2019-08-19-11-01-25(1).png
I grabbed this from higher elevation under crusty sage. Was very light stuff.
Capture+_2019-08-19-11-01-39(1).png
This was all mixed with another equal part of bunny power pellets.
Into 4 gallons of fishpond water. I have this flooming now, since yesterday aft.
I am going to strain it through coffe sack burlap until fine enough to spritz foliar feed later today.

Jewels

Bon~Fire
Gimmicks
I mostly like the way it sounds.
Here is a garage sale find I thought I would never utilize.
Hydor brand biowheel
The mechanics are,,, that flowing water engages an impellar attached to a ring gear. The ring gear forever rotates the ouput, whilst spinning the foam media in an air/water bath. Havent figured out how to post video --so , just imagine that foam ring rotating around all day @ 10 rpm.
The idea is that extra oxygen will be exposed to water to increase aeration.
Hell, the four inch drop is dragging more bubbles down than the air pump.
I figure it is all cockferdolly - so its whatever.
20190819_132106_HDR.jpg
The foam has been in the pond all summer serving as spawning media; it should be loaded with nitrosomers and bacters.
It may have also included some fry hrydrolase- sorry little guys !
Yes, I stuck my nose in a percolating bucket of bunny shtz, and all apologies,
It smelled lovely.
The only macro organics, besides the freshly twice devoured bunny leaf renderings, is the sage litter.
I find Sage intoxicating. But, I resisted, as we are aerating, not fermenting.