Coconut oil settling

baldmountain

Super Active Member
Hi,

I made a batch of THC coconut oil. I ran it through a mesh filter to remove any plant matter. When it cooled and solidified I noticed that some left over sediment settled to the bottom. Should I re-heat it to mix this sediment back into the oil, or just use it separated?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Hi,

I made a batch of THC coconut oil. I ran it through a mesh filter to remove any plant matter. When it cooled and solidified I noticed that some left over sediment settled to the bottom. Should I re-heat it to mix this sediment back into the oil, or just use it separated?
That's just the stuff smaller than whatever you strained it through. You would just be mixing "impurities" back into the oil if you stir it up.

When I do butter or oil that hardens I pour it into a silicone mold that is easy to remove. I let it cool slowly on the counter instead of in the fridge just so that settling can happen. Then throw it in the fridge to get real solid. Pull the mold off and slice away the sediment.

I just use that part first. It's not trash or anything, but vegetable matter being left in there isn't great for long term storage.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Seems something simple as a pint pub glass would work. You wouldn't need silicone. warm the glass in your hands and it would slide out like buddah.

or oil...

baldmountain

Super Active Member
I poured the coconut oil back into it's original container so I'll just scoop it with a spoon and leave the bottom crud in the jar.

Reactions: Vee