Cluckers Parrot Eyes

jpcyan

Really Active Member
At the end of the last school year my wife comes home from her job at the local grade school with an almost dead "chick". The 3rd graders were hatching eggs in science class and one of the teachers takes some to raise, while the rest they give others to local farmers.
This one didnt quite free itself from the egg shell totally, and was a mess. The yolk solidified and had it stuck, unable to move its little wings and one leg. Small pieces of shell stuck to it, so solid it it was unable to open one eye.
She actually heard a chirping in the trash can.. :( The teacher had thrown it in there alive. Later telling my wife" oh yeah, that one wasn't going too live anyway". grrrr I know they are not domesticated pets, but damn.. farm people can be kinda brutal.
My wife didn't tell her she dug it out of the trash and brought it home.

So we gently washed the almost dead newborn chick, freeing it from the shell pieces and goo. I fed and watered it with a small syringe body. It surprised me and knew instantly to peck at the tip where the water droplet was forming. It was a touch and go situation for about three days and then I knew.. It will live!

Twice more same thing happened, 2 more chicks. One tiny golden colored one I named "Nugget" didnt make it.

The first one I named "Clucker", my wife hated it but I like the odd names thing :D.

The other one was a larger breed, and its difficult to tell if they are a pullet (hen), or cockerel (rooster) so we didn't name the 2nd one specifically.

I've not raised chickens before but been around it. The first month they spent inside in a Terrarium next to the Bearded Dragon "Izzy Boredom". He loved the chicks hangin out with him, seriously lol. He propped himself in a corner and watched them all day. (Also an adoption from a classroom that no longer wanted a pet)

So they quickly grew and needed a home for outside. With several cats, ours and stray Toms, coons, possums, coyotes etc, I knew it had to be a secured enclosure until they are large enough to let free roam during the day.

I considered building a small coop, but found a kit that fit their needs perfectly. So I had to build it but everything was pre cut to fit and ready. I just added a wheel system and extra security measures/ latches/locks to make it mobile and safe. Now they can have a clean space each day to eat and fertilize.

Im gonna start using PBH rice hulls as bedding and use it to compost. Damn good organic nutes (composted chicken manure)

Well now a few months later, I find this place. "Chucker's Paradise". And it hit me. At first I thought of naming the coop "Cluckers Paradise" , but decided to name the larger chicken instead. ( I now know its a rooster btw).

So yall, meet Clucker (small black hen) and Parrot Eyes (Rooster) 😁.
OFC the wife hates the name ahahah too bad.aug 2019 Clucker and Parrot Eyes Copy.JPG

jpcyan

Really Active Member
gojooasis. About $170 to my door. eby
Its kind of cheaply made. I added the wheels, a roost, interior bracing, and full bottom frame for stability. The chicken wire is pretty thin, but I plan on adding some regular gauge stuff, plus aluminum window screen to keep out the buffalo gnats and small flying insects eventually. It'll do for now. :) They are happy and have fresh ground to scratch or relax in daily. Nice to be able to put em in the shade on those 100ºf days too. I move the coop close to the house each night as well. Keeps them a little safer from the coons I have to run off every night, stealing the cats food.