clarification on "S1"

I wanted to run this by you all. Its my understanding that the term "S1" means "selfed" once. These daughter plants should show a good deal of genetic diversity unless the parent plant came from a particularly stable line.

Im looking to make a sweep of feminized seeds specifically trying to express as much variation as possible. I kinda just want to see what flavors or smells are out there. or at least in what i have.

my plan is to expose a female plant to ga3 for a few days, then put it into flower. ill wait a few weeks, then put it several more female plants that will all hang out and pollinate for a bit.

with some good labeling i think i could get a good mix to work through. does this all sound along the lines of what you guys do when youre looking to explore the genetics of a strain?

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Yes s1 is a female turned male to produce pollen and polinating its self or a clone of itself. There would be some veriability in offspring. Suposidly it will fast track what phenos are contained in that line, if your pheno hunting. Rather than crossing it with a normal male. The normal male will add more variability. Thus you would have to pop more seed to find all the different phenos.
Im guessing it also depends on how stable the genetics you are usig.
An Inbred line compared to a F1. Maybe 10 vs 80?
At least you dont have to weed through all the males.
I poped about 20 God Bud beans i made for a cross this winter.
Was interesting seeing all the different phenos that came out. Not a lot of variability as i crossed an F 6 or 7 female back to a F2 male. I kept plants small so i didnt get a good idea on structure. But a few different smells and color. Had one turned quite purple, she is in reveg mode. Hope she takes off soon.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
A new(?) term I have heard is R1. Instead of Filial or Selfed, it's the stuff using Reversed pollen but not on the same donor. So your Cookies reversed to itself would be an S1, but that same pollen tossed on your OG Kush would make R1 seeds since it is not selfed, and there was no male involved.

Purely from reading/listening/studying, F1's should have a lot more variability than S1's. A good portion of S1's should resemble the mom, but the second generation is where the ghosts of all the long lost relatives pop in to say high.

D

Deleted member 60

S-1 here has always meant that you purposely sprayed/went through a process to get to an end using the same clone/etc.

I've seen folks lately calling straight up hermie seeds they find...aka....seeds not created on purpose/created without an end in mind... "S-1's."

I don't agree with that take. I do like the R-1 tag.......but what happens when those plants get sprayed? How far down the Rabbit Hole will folks go?

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
I wanted to run this by you all. Its my understanding that the term "S1" means "selfed" once. These daughter plants should show a good deal of genetic diversity unless the parent plant came from a particularly stable line.

Im looking to make a sweep of feminized seeds specifically trying to express as much variation as possible. I kinda just want to see what flavors or smells are out there. or at least in what i have.

my plan is to expose a female plant to ga3 for a few days, then put it into flower. ill wait a few weeks, then put it several more female plants that will all hang out and pollinate for a bit.

with some good labeling i think i could get a good mix to work through. does this all sound along the lines of what you guys do when youre looking to explore the genetics of a strain?
There not gonna hang out and pollinate nothing. You have about a 1 in 5 chance of a reversed female making enough pollen to be able to use and about a 1 in 20 that she will have sacks that open. It also takes about 6 weeks to reverse and produce pollen from your day of flip to flower.
S1 means it's a self pollinated from the clone, I don't believe in s2, you can't really self a plant from a child to a parent. That would be considered an SBX , selfed back cross. IMO all plants are technically F1s . People call there shit F2 F3 etc but when using a small handful of plants your just working yourself away from the original.