Can you cure bud after you get it

Dr. Monty

Green Supremacist
Let’s say my buddy dropped off some finished bud and you know he rushed and only cured for a few days.
It’s been sealed and stored for an unknown amount of time (not being cured) but it’s still pretty good.
Can I throw it in a jar and cure it for a while or does the process stop and am I wasting my time? :unsure:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Let’s say my buddy dropped off some finished bud and you know he rushed and only cured for a few days.
It’s been sealed and stored for an unknown amount of time (not being cured) but it’s still pretty good.
Can I throw it in a jar and cure it for a while or does the process stop and am I wasting my time? :unsure:
Curing is just controlled aging. It's curing as we speak whether it's in a sandwich bag or a mason jar. If you store your weed right just store that like yours. The 62% humidity packs are a good backstop in case you jar something a little too moist or dry.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
I’ve read from a couple different sources that if the buds dry too quickly, then you can never get a proper cure, and adding moisture back doesn’t help.

Is there any truth to that?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I’ve read from a couple different sources that if the buds dry too quickly, then you can never get a proper cure, and adding moisture back doesn’t help.

I don't know if that is actually getting too dry affecting curing, or the fact that getting too dry is bad overall. you have what you have at chop as far as the thc content,

What I like to do is keep the jar under vacuum for the first few days especially if there are dense tops. Opens the pores like for marinating chicken, so (i think) it lets it start curing more evenly. When I burp the jars I'll dump it out the first few times just to eyeball it, see if it feels right. Then re-vacuum it.

I also use the weight to check the progress. If it's under vacuum with an rH pack, it'll gain/lose weight in the jar. Once the weight settles out I stop vacuuming. If you have a vacuum sealer for the mason jars it's a good way to check 'aquired' weed as well. Just vacuum it with a 62% pack and see what happens.

Choco8

Insanely Active Member
Sometimes if it's dried too fast the chlorophyll can get locked in, if I understand the process right. I'm not sure if curing can still help reduce that after the fact, but really don't know either way.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin

From what I understand, the issue isn't so much when the buds are dried too quickly, but rather when they are dried too much, because all of the beneficial bacteria has died off. Curing involves not only keeping the humidity correct, but also replenishing the O2 in the container to aid in the curing process. This is why burping the container is so important even when the humidity stays where it should. The quality of my bud has improved a lot since I automated my curing with air pumps. I always either forgot to burp my jars or I would go the opposite way and forgot to close them. Now I just put them in buckets, close them up, and put the air pump on a cycle timer.

InfiniteIndo

Herban Legend

Yes. If you fuck up the dry and get that hay smell there's no coming back and that's all the proof you need.. lol

InfiniteIndo

Herban Legend
I just mean to make sure stuff is right before jarring. If I hang a limb with a wet-weight of 100g I don't bend stems or whatever. I weigh it. Around 25g it starts slowing down on weight loss. and is ready for a jar.
I like that method I'll try it sometime

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
But how dry is too dry, in terms of RH?
I don’t know if you can tell by the RH of the jar. It’s when the moisture content of the flower gets down to a certain point. Properly dried flower should weigh 20% - 25% of what it weighed when first harvested. When it gets below 20% moisture by weight then it’s starting to get too dry.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I don’t know if you can tell by the RH of the jar. It’s when the moisture content of the flower gets down to a certain point. Properly dried flower should weigh 20% - 25% of what it weighed when first harvested. When it gets below 20% moisture by weight then it’s starting to get too dry.
To be clear, when they lost 75% of their weight, they don't still have 25% moisture left - there's a bit of weed in there somewhere ;)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Since I started this thing I might as well finish it.

I weight it. Once it's ready to be jarred though, the original wet-weight or percentage weight doesn't matter. After the stems and trim are gone start over with that weight to check what's jarred.

Alcohol erases sharpie. All my jar lids have weights written and crossed out until it settles out. With the rH pack in the jar, once the weight settles it will be that rH. And if you jar too early there's always rolling it back out onto a rack for a bit.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
The question is what is the RH now? Above 50%, you may have a chance. That you said it's still pretty good means or probably means you can cure it. If it was not salvageable it would have been plenty harsh.
Throw a celery stalk in the jar..........you got nothing to lose..........gotta rehydrate it anyway.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
To be clear, when they lost 75% of their weight, they don't still have 25% moisture left - there's a bit of weed in there somewhere ;)
So have you ever jarred your 75% dried weed without the humidity pack but with a humidity meter? That would be good information to have. And I think the RH of that weed would still be around the 70% mark.

70% RH is where I like to jar my buds. I burp them 5 minutes twice a day until they get down to 65, then it’s 5 minutes once a day until they get down to 60 % RH, at which point I only burp them to smell them or to take some for the smaller “in use” jars.