Can someone shed some light on the use of distilled water?

Drumsnjays

So we’re in our first indoor soil grow. I’m curious about distilled water verses spring/purified/tap water. I thought distilled would be good because I can have total control of the nutes. Now I’m wondering if it could be robbing the plant instead of nourishing it. I’ve got mixed opinions and would gladly hear any thoughts on what water is better to use?

I should also say that I’m happy with how they’re looking. Green new growth, maybe a little small for 3rd week of veg, but overall I think they’re doing good.

Attachments

Drumsnjays

Personally, I would add calmag every watering if using distilled, or you can use tap water if it's good tap water (under 150 ppm, maaaybe 200 ppm)

It looks like u got something going on right now, did u just transplant into those large pots?
Right on that makes sense about the cal mag. We transplanted last Thursday. I’m seeing some yellow leaf tips which makes me think potassium is low. Then I started thinking about the water.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
So we’re in our first indoor soil grow. I’m curious about distilled water verses spring/purified/tap water. I thought distilled would be good because I can have total control of the nutes. Now I’m wondering if it could be robbing the plant instead of nourishing it. I’ve got mixed opinions and would gladly hear any thoughts on what water is better to use?

I should also say that I’m happy with how they’re looking. Green new growth, maybe a little small for 3rd week of veg, but overall I think they’re doing good.
Distilled and purified both have 0 ppm as well as RO water just different methods of getting there. Spring and tap would both have ppms of varying amounts.

Drumsnjays

Distilled and purified both have 0 ppm as well as RO water just different methods of getting there. Spring and tap would both have ppms of varying amounts.
Ok so I think I’ll continue with distilled water and mix the nutrients myself. I’m using about 600ppm of sensi grow a & b then an additional 300ppm of cal mag. Also 300ppm cal mag every watering. Is there a number I should be shooting for?

Drumsnjays

Let me ask you this. Do you think rain water robs outdoor plants of nutrients? Rain water is naturally distilled water. CalMag is often over used to fix issues caused by low VPD. Proper transpiration ensures those micro nutrients are mobilized.
I hear that. So what’s VPD? Help me understand the last part of what you’re saying. I do think I’m using a lot of cal mag; next go around I will do a better job of soil prep as to not use too many nutrients and try to get as organic as possible.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Ok so I think I’ll continue with distilled water and mix the nutrients myself. I’m using about 600ppm of sensi grow a & b then an additional 300ppm of cal mag. Also 300ppm cal mag every watering. Is there a number I should be shooting for?
I am thinking you are way high on your ppms . You would be a lot closer to the correct number by cutting that formula in half.

Drumsnjays

I am thinking you are way high on your ppms . You would be a lot closer to the correct number by cutting that formula in half.
Ok I’ll observe what they do the next couple days. And yes I’ve heard that about the nutrients too. I gave a little more this feeding because we transplanted and will cut in half on the next. So do you think I should be shooting for 300ppm total?

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Ok I’ll observe what they do the next couple days. And yes I’ve heard that about the nutrients too. I gave a little more this feeding because we transplanted and will cut in half on the next. So do you think I should be shooting for 300ppm total?
Maybe not to high if only mixed with water. I have no idea how much calcium and magnesium is in your veg formula that you are using. I would IMO not give a plant that size much more than 500 ppm combined total. Is that around 5ml of the cal-mag? Also what is your media? Plants grown under led's tend to consume more cal-mag than other light sources.

JWM2

VPD is vapor pressure deficient. It’s the relation of relative humidity to leaf temp. The warmer the leaf temp the more your plants will sweat. Like humans on a hot day. However when it’s too humid outside your sweat doesn’t work effectively and you overheat. When plants can’t transpire those micro nutrients stay in the soil and aren’t distributed or carried throughout the plant and therefore you get what looks like micro nute lockout. Fix the issue instead of loading the soil or growing medium and the problem goes away. Overload the soil and you will have issues with macro nute lockout.

Drumsnjays

VPD is vapor pressure deficient. It’s the relation of relative humidity to leaf temp. The warmer the leaf temp the more your plants will sweat. Like humans on a hot day. However when it’s too humid outside your sweat doesn’t work effectively and you overheat. When plants can’t transpire those micro nutrients stay in the soil and aren’t distributed or carried throughout the plant and therefore you get what looks like micro nute lockout. Fix the issue instead of loading the soil or growing medium and the problem goes away. Overload the soil and you will have issues with macro nute lockout.
Thank you so much for explaining that. I think I’d like to go way more organic with compost and zero nutrients next round if possible. To fix the problem it sounds like an environmental solution rather than nutrient solution.

Dirtbag

Really Active Member
Oh there are nutrient problems as well.. Stop using so much cal mag with every feeding if you are also using it in between feedings, it doesnt need 300ppm calmag every time it takes a drink. You'll build up excess calcium and start locking shit out.

If you want to use it every time you water cut it back to 100-150ppm. And keep nutrient solution at 500-600 total including the calmag, at least until they're bigger then you could ramp it up to 650-700.

OR... dont use calmag every feeding. I use rainwater and dehu water and give my plants 500-700ppm base nutrients for 2 feeds and every 3 watering I give them 150-200 ppm Calcium Carbonate/silicate/nitrate and leave the nutes out. Magnesium I only give them a bit in flower or if their leaves lose their colour and look hungry for it. Some strains want more but u rarely need to supplement it, there is normally plenty of mg in good base nutrients.

Last edited:

Drumsnjays

Oh there are nutrient problems as well.. Stop using so much cal mag with every feeding if you are also using it in between feedings, it doesnt need 300ppm calmag every time it takes a drink. You'll build up excess calcium and start locking shit out.

If you want to use it every time you water cut it back to 100-150ppm. And keep nutrient solution at 500-600 total including the calmag, at least until they're bigger then you could ramp it up to 650-700.

OR... dont use calmag every feeding. I use rainwater and dehu water and give my plants 500-700ppm base nutrients for 2 feeds and every 3 watering I give them 150-200 ppm Calcium Carbonate/silicate/nitrate and leave the nutes out. Magnesium I only give them a bit in flower or if their leaves lose their colour and look hungry for it. Some strains want more but u rarely need to supplement it, there is normally plenty of mg in good base nutrients.
Right on. Thank you for such a clear response. This group is so super solid. I think I’m going to back off the cal mag. Thanks for the affirmation

JWM2

Unless you’re using straight RO water or distilled water chances are you have plenty of calcium in your water. However as I stated before without proper transpiration that mineral along with others will stay in your growing medium and won’t be uptaken by the root system. Which means it’ll sit there and cause other nutrients to get locked out. Calcium likes to bind with other nutrients and when it does those become unavailable. A calcium flush is beneficial when your ppms are too high as the calcium binds to the excess nutrients and renders them useless. It’s actually a part of the nectar for the gods grow system. The nectar for the gods grow bible is a great quick one hour read and will help you understand what calcium does and how to best utilize it in your grow. Find it and read it and you’ll be forever grateful.