BUILDING A GREENHOUSE

Inf Flux

Alchemist
Was free, aside from sweat equity. Panels were from an old greenhouse on craigslist, an awning on craigslist, and a deck made of 2x6. All of it the people just wanted it gone. So I had to do some demolition and then construction but at the end of the day all I had to pay for was a couple of things of screws.
I highly recommend using panels over plastic. This building replaced the three year old plastic one that was failing.
55649694_269237250689461_2116671221906014208_n.jpg

Id also recommend getting a temp sensor switch for an exhaust fan. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V4TJR00/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

D

Deleted member 60

I'd toss in that if yer doing a pvc structure...go with a "hoop" style frame...the arch is much stronger than the angles. I fear the 2 examples shown will sag badly in the heat/sun/with any plastic weight on them...unless maybe you did the solid polycarb panels and screwed them on.

Killer stuff Inf Flux. Always good to resource/reuse/recreate stuff from other stuff.

Big ups in that controller as well. I use one of those in Winter on a woodstove fired heat system for my GH. Should work equally as well in a cooling situation.

Inf Flux

Alchemist
I'd toss in that if yer doing a pvc structure...go with a "hoop" style frame...the arch is much stronger than the angles. I fear the 2 examples shown will sag badly in the heat/sun/with any plastic weight on them...unless maybe you did the solid polycarb panels and screwed them on.

Killer stuff Inf Flux. Always good to resource/reuse/recreate stuff from other stuff.

Big ups in that controller as well. I use one of those in Winter on a woodstove fired heat system for my GH. Should work equally as well in a cooling situation.
Thanks!
Yeah they are the shit. I plan to do some heating this winter and may have to get another for that.

Green_256

What's a SIP?
well we're still playing around with this thing, boss man changed it up on me a little bit, instead of using wood, and having to drill and put that all together, he brought out these steaks, grabbed one of the tractors and slammed them into the ground, they won't be coming up very easy lol

he says they make some type of connectors that will hook from that, to the pvc, so shouldn't have too many worries about it blowing away... lol we will see, still got to add in some braces and support for the pvc, plus glue the pieces!
media_5cc8e5e3e572e6.19131711_7de202296c20be75d55e0b311bef9a6fd6e7fcdac719e372c6bb66580cb93cc9.jpg

Crash32097

Veteran Grower
Also when I used to make PVC hoop houses for my gardens I would use left over re-bar we had laying around to stake in the ground then I would slide the PVC over the re-bar to set my hoops. Adds to structural stability. If you are gonna use PVC I would recommend painting the PVC to prevent dry rot, the UV rays will make the PVC brittle and decrease longevity. Just my thoughts, we are all capable of anything! Good luck bro 👍

Green_256

What's a SIP?
Cattle panel hoop houses are pretty strong, plus they're not too pricey and easy to assemble. YouTube is your friend when you need to build something. I hit YouTube and Pinterest frequently when I need ideas and how-to's.
yea I've been doing a lot of digging around! I also love YouTube lol!

but the only reason I wasn't super happy with a hoop house (bc that's what the boss wanted) is bc I really like the idea of being able to leave the bottom 5ft. wide open if I choose to, and close it up when I want as well!

and this GH, was literally built without spending a single cent, just used stuff laying around the farm, so I'm trying to keep that going, we will haveto buy the plastic, but other than that, I'm wanting to do this without any fans, or any ways to control heat or cold. it's kinda an experiment lol

Green_256

What's a SIP?
You'll get it bro, as long as it is on your mind then you will find an answer. Fun fact, your brain continues to work on your problems(thoughts, anxieties, etc.) while you sleep! The key lies within be concious of your reality! Sorry to ramble man! Love the thread though, I'm all about sustainability.
yea, I could prolly use some extra sleep, lol but thanks man, I appreciate it!