BUILDING A GREENHOUSE

Green_256

What's a SIP?
Hey guys, working on a small project so I figured why not share it with you guys! so I'm building a green house obviously lol, but the challenge is not spending a single dime, luckily the farm is stocked with shit! so although this could be better, I'm stuck with what I got, which is 2x6 boards, and pvc pipe! lmfao

so basically my plan is building and open rectangular frame out of 2x6 boards, super simple, along the top, every 6ft. I plan to drill holes, and slide an end of the pvc pipe right through it! if the holes are good fit, it should hold good, and can always be taken apart and moved or used for something else! then simply wrap it with plastic!

any ideas???
CM190429-030252002.jpg

Green_256

What's a SIP?
@Jesselikes2grow this is in your wheelhouse I think mate..
Looks good to me though.. is heating and cooling an issue where you live, I've seen a few neat ways to warm greenhouses
to be honest with you, I've got no idea, never grown outdoors before! but that's also why I was thinking about leaving the bottom 5ft "wood frame" open, and not covered with plastic like the roof! I could still get most of the "greenhouse" effect, but wouldn't need fans or worries about getting too hot! and it still is protected from the weather!

SaintyMcCunt

The Convict
The main method I'm thinking of for me here in Aus, believe it or not, it gets bloody cold some nights 🤣 and a dingo doesn't usually eat babies.. but I'm on a tangent..
I'm looking at a design where the greenhouse is dug down to a level of around 3 foot and having a "Dakota" style fire pit running underground the length of the greenhouse to heat the surface and to balance temps, though humidity might be a struggle..
A few vids on YouTube..
Also an old trick for some extra warmth and to block a nosey neighbors view, 60 litre drums painted black, full of water to catch warmth and also block view..
Tons of people way smarter than me with ideas on YouTube, these just stand out to me

Green_256

What's a SIP?
The main method I'm thinking of for me here in Aus, believe it or not, it gets bloody cold some nights 🤣 and a dingo doesn't usually eat babies.. but I'm on a tangent..
I'm looking at a design where the greenhouse is dug down to a level of around 3 foot and having a "Dakota" style fire pit running underground the length of the greenhouse to heat the surface and to balance temps, though humidity might be a struggle..
A few vids on YouTube..
Also an old trick for some extra warmth and to block a nosey neighbors view, 60 litre drums painted black, full of water to catch warmth and also block view..
Tons of people way smarter than me with ideas on YouTube, these just stand out to me
I did talk to the boss about digging and lowering it into the ground, and since I'll be running sips in it, it's kinda perfect! but my issue is I'm absolutely scared to death of snakes! and I'm already stressed out about seeing a snake at the farm, if we put the greenhouse a few feet underground it will be their favorite spot! and that I can't have lol

SaintyMcCunt

The Convict
I did talk to the boss about digging and lowering it into the ground, and since I'll be running sips in it, it's kinda perfect! but my issue is I'm absolutely scared to death of snakes! and I'm already stressed out about seeing a snake at the farm, if we put the greenhouse a few feet underground it will be their favorite spot! and that I can't have lol
Mate.. I live in Australia with some of the meanest snakes in the world..
First tip, step loudly.. I mean almost stamp when ya feet when ya walk.. most every bloody snake will fuck right the way off just from the vibrations.. Actually that's all the tips I got... ya fucked.. probably gonna get bit 🤣
But digging down an using the earth as an insulator has to be a good idea, the fire pit with exhaust lines running underneath heating the floor with the fire/feed outside has to be an option worth looking at.. Along with the barrels to capture heat if needed..

Then again I'm about 10 beers deep and fuck knows how many joints..

Keen to see what you settle on though

SaintyMcCunt

The Convict
Could avoid the snakes near the greenhouse.. build them a habitat in the opposite direction of the greenhouse, heap of timber and tin with some rockwork.. comfy and warm with places to hide..
It'd be paradise for them, no need for them to come near the greenhouse.
Actually can I come live there..? It sounds peaceful and a beauty of a spot to work

Green_256

What's a SIP?
Could avoid the snakes near the greenhouse.. build them a habitat in the opposite direction of the greenhouse, heap of timber and tin with some rockwork.. comfy and warm with places to hide..
It'd be paradise for them, no need for them to come near the greenhouse.
Actually can I come live there..? It sounds peaceful and a beauty of a spot to work
yea, sure I'll build them one, three states over! lol

Green_256

What's a SIP?
haha nah mate, I'll move over if you give me a job and somewhere for me swag and a fire...

I'll keep ya safe from the creepy crawlies.. I'll be like Steve Irwin but I'll just avoid pissing off stingrays 🤣
lol, I wish I could man, the way things been going, I might be pitching a tent on the bosses farm lmfao, the wife got me in the dog house after dropping a shit ton of $ on lights!

SaintyMcCunt

The Convict
lol, I wish I could man, the way things been going, I might be pitching a tent on the bosses farm lmfao, the wife got me in the dog house after dropping a shit ton of $ on lights!
Mate.! Steve Irwin wasn't scared of no wife 😂 but they are the key to happiness so.. Best keep the better half in a good mood..But, what lights did ya get?
Tell the boss that I only need a passport, all the paper work and room for a swag and a fire to boil the billy

Green_256

What's a SIP?
Mate.! Steve Irwin wasn't scared of no wife 😂 but they are the key to happiness so.. Best keep the better half in a good mood..But, what lights did ya get?
Tell the boss that I only need a passport, all the paper work and room for a swag and a fire to boil the billy
it's 1280w 4ft. Cree strips(can't remember how many lol), all flowering spectrums, 2700, 4000, and I think a few others, has WiFi control, and slides back n forth on the frame, covers a 4x8 and can be hooked together or ran separately! and I'm sure I'm missing a few things, but basically it's supposed to be a bad ass light!

it's being built by Whyte Widow

D

Deleted member 60

Search "Walapini".....it's a buried greenhouse concept...often with barrels/etc. Originated, I'm told, in Peru...high in the Andes.

But yeah...greenhouses are nice...but they bring their own set of challenges. Hot/cold/bugs/stretch.....just to name a few. Then there's cost. Doing it right costs a bit. Doing it wrong costs more cus you lose you GH and yer crops.

I have a fully enclosed GH but I don't use it for weed for the above reasons. For weed I use a hoop house and a shade cloth...and the cloth is only on if it appears it may hail.

Good luck

Green_256

What's a SIP?
the Temps were working with aren't too extreme! the strains that were running is this are super quick finishers, so they will be harvested long before winter gets bad thankfully!

I'm really considering burying about 4ft. of the bottom frame in the ground! that way Temps would be a tad more stable, and it won't be so low into the ground that I'm missing a lot of light! really thinking about doing a super small version just to test it out and see!

Green_256

What's a SIP?
was playing around not long ago, waiting for the dam wood to get brought down the mountain, so I threw up 2 different designs I've been playing with, ones small, and much much stronger, other is huge, and kinda flimsy without the base!

plz excuse all the mess, this is not where they will be going, it's just where I was screwing around! also of this works, there will be many sections! not just a single 5ft. lol!
CM190429-150144002.jpgCM190429-150137001.jpg

Green_256

What's a SIP?
I think I'm going to try the big one, but using a 45° fitting on the very top, rather than the 90° that's on there now, it would give me more width, and less height, but as it stands now, it would wind up being around 13-15ft high, and that's kinda not needed just yet, idk! will see