Bud Rot and living soil

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I am new to living soil, I have been growing in it for a little over a year and have my 1st real issue. Not with the soil but with Budrot. I know a enough about Bud rot to know it was from high temps/humidity.Also the most infected plant had a branch split at the main stalk this would give it an easy way in. A few other plants were mildly infected and all the plants were trashed. My problem is now I know the spores are everywhere and I want them gone. This would be easy with my old way of dumping used soil in the backyard and starting over. Now I have some expensive dirt I dont want to throw away. How can I safely treat the soil and be sure to kill all the spores?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I am new to living soil, I have been growing in it for a little over a year and have my 1st real issue. Not with the soil but with Budrot. I know a enough about Bud rot to know it was from high temps/humidity.Also the most infected plant had a branch split at the main stalk this would give it an easy way in. A few other plants were mildly infected and all the plants were trashed. My problem is now I know the spores are everywhere and I want them gone. This would be easy with my old way of dumping used soil in the backyard and starting over. Now I have some expensive dirt I dont want to throw away. How can I safely treat the soil and be sure to kill all the spores?
I'm not a scientist - but where were those spores prior to you damaging the stem?

My understanding is that all of that stuff is pretty much everywhere - like no matter where you live you can do the rice-water and milk thing and pull Lacto-bacillus from the air to make your culture. It's more about creating the perfect storm of environmentals and other circumstances to propagate them.

Not sure about the soil but a good tent and ventillation cleaning is in order. How long those spores live, how long they can stay dormant, and what kills them would be the info toi search for if that helps.

Matthew Gates is a good source on the utubes for getting specifics about the scientific aspects or any remediation you can or should do.

Bud rot SUCKS! I seriously would rather be punched in the balls by a very angry Mike Tyson than grow a plant for 100+ days only to have it end up riddled with that bullshit. I asked your question to Jason(Build A Soil guy) and if I get a response I will post it for you wierdly.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I am going to clean everything dump soil and get some more fans. I had too much going on and let them get funky in the corner while I was paying more attention to the girls in the front row. I didnt think these would be effected being a Sativa Dom strain I will pay more attention to the humidity/temps and keep things tidy.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I am going to clean everything dump soil and get some more fans. I had too much going on and let them get funky in the corner while I was paying more attention to the girls in the front row. I didnt think these would be effected being a Sativa Dom strain I will pay more attention to the humidity/temps and keep things tidy.
I wouldn't dump all that soil until you hear back from someone smart. Not us!

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
Bleach on the tent,walls, floor, fans. I figure I should at least remove all of the mulch to get what settled on top of the surface and spray the tops / outside of pots with some sort of fugacide maybe remove top few inches of soil. Then possibly dump it into a big container to mix and reammend. Let it cook for a week or two. Or just dumpit and start over. Its about 50 gallons of soil so not a huge loss on the soil, but I want to give my new stuff the best chance to be healthy. I just picture those lttle tiny bud rotting spores where flying around and stuck all over every where waiting for the next batch of seedlings to attack. I will be way more aware of it in the future, it creeps in slow. I thought it was a few different things going on but did not think of this til I chopped and really looked at what was happening. Also the frosty buds looked dingy, thats the new spores that go airborne. I did not get to the gooey stringy stage, just brown leaves and buds on the bottom. I also noticed the stems were brown and softer than normal. There was a color change at the base of the stem were the plant was dying from the inside out. I think the stem is the first place it shows up so I will be keeping an eye out for that.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think the stem is the first place it shows up so I will be keeping an eye out for that.
Key point here I didn't think of. You say bud rot but it started in the stem. But rot is a bud-only problem that is incubated in the density of the flower. Lots of times from insect shit, or caterpillars boring in there in outdoor crops. Then the humidity or rain or whatever later on to complete the process. You may have fusarium or some other systemic thing but I don't think it is just bud rot if in fact that's what it is.

On that note - if you ain't worried about losing 10 pots worth of soil then you have the beginnings of a fat raised bed outside. If it is bugging you that much the peace of mind alone would be worth ditching the soil. But I'd still watch a few vids on it to make sure you're not missing something.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I just looked up Fusarium and it does seem to be more of what I am seeing with the stems hollowed out and squishy. The spores from that stuff lives in the soil for years, it reccomends burning plants and dumping or sterilizing soil. I am thinking of maybe getting an old black trash can and leave this soil in it to cook in the sun through next summer. I can use it in the garden for some tomatoes/ peppers to see if it can be saved b4 putting it back in the tent. For now I think I will replace my soil, containers and clean everything. I think the problem is my night time humidity is to high. My Ac infinity exhaust fan is set to come on at high temp and if temps are under 82 it is on lowsetting or even off. I will turn it to run constantly now when in flower so it keeps the humidity down during lights off. That should keep the fungus problems at bay.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I just looked up Fusarium and it does seem to be more of what I am seeing with the stems hollowed out and squishy. The spores from that stuff lives in the soil for years, it reccomends burning plants and dumping or sterilizing soil. I am thinking of maybe getting an old black trash can and leave this soil in it to cook in the sun through next summer. I can use it in the garden for some tomatoes/ peppers to see if it can be saved b4 putting it back in the tent. For now I think I will replace my soil, containers and clean everything. I think the problem is my night time humidity is to high. My Ac infinity exhaust fan is set to come on at high temp and if temps are under 82 it is on lowsetting or even off. I will turn it to run constantly now when in flower so it keeps the humidity down during lights off. That should keep the fungus problems at bay.
I run my AC Infinity exhausts 24/7, and bought a spare for if/when one goes down. I also have two clip fans in each tent. One is at the flool level and blows gentle 24/7, the other is an oscillator between the plant tops and lights and comes on with the lights. So far I haven't had issues but my electricity is cheap.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Bleach on the tent,walls, floor, fans. I figure I should at least remove all of the mulch to get what settled on top of the surface and spray the tops / outside of pots with some sort of fugacide maybe remove top few inches of soil. Then possibly dump it into a big container to mix and reammend. Let it cook for a week or two. Or just dumpit and start over. Its about 50 gallons of soil so not a huge loss on the soil, but I want to give my new stuff the best chance to be healthy. I just picture those lttle tiny bud rotting spores where flying around and stuck all over every where waiting for the next batch of seedlings to attack. I will be way more aware of it in the future, it creeps in slow. I thought it was a few different things going on but did not think of this til I chopped and really looked at what was happening. Also the frosty buds looked dingy, thats the new spores that go airborne. I did not get to the gooey stringy stage, just brown leaves and buds on the bottom. I also noticed the stems were brown and softer than normal. There was a color change at the base of the stem were the plant was dying from the inside out. I think the stem is the first place it shows up so I will be keeping an eye out for that.
thanks for the info!

Badddoin

Really Active Member
I had some bud rot this past grow. It was only in two buds on the same plant - a small but beautiful Super Charger X Funeral Cake. The main cola was the size of my fist, and rock solid. Very disappointing, but like most of my problems it was self inflicted.

I decided not to run my oscillating fan and my dehumidifier. My tester said that smoke was the best I had grown so far (the buds that weren’t affected).

I’ll do a good cleaning before my next grow, but I doubt I’d be able to affect the presence of spores. I’m guessing when the conditions are present, the spores will grow.