BRO SCIENCE vs REAL SCIENCE

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Pine is the worst. Turns soil acidic. The best thing for organic guys is to start an outdoor compost pile and just mix it with your soil. Growing in pots there is not enough time to amend soil in a pot by putting stuff on top.
I use a worm bin for that purpose so I can keep it inside. And re-using the soil I think it's just being consistent what you add through the grow. It might not be available until next plant, but this one is eating the stuff you put in last time :)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The batch of build-a-soil came with a sack of Clackamas Coots mix so it is designed as a water-only soil. The first run is set, so after you start using it it's just keeping the worms and stuff fed and moist, and hopefully adding back in most of what was used by the end of the grow.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
If it works for 5g, I'm done. No goal of moving up pot sizes. I have a few 7g that I plan to use for 're-runs' of stuff I know I like and want a bigger plant of. Simple fact is that I have grown out 1-month-veg plants in 3 gallons consistently and had no rootbound issues. A 5g in the living soil should be plenty for one grow if I am dumping it after.

I am gradually getting soil volume from everything that gets added and mulched in. Eventually I'll just have more soil out of the rotation rather than having bigger pots.
Every organic gardener I’ve talked to has told me you really need 10 gal or bigger to make the best out of an organic grow. I’ve used 7 gal, and still do in the small tent, but the fade definitely seems to come quicker in them.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Every organic gardener I’ve talked to has told me you really need 10 gal or bigger to make the best out of an organic grow. I’ve used 7 gal, and still do in the small tent, but the fade definitely seems to come quicker in them.
As long as I can keep healthy plants to the end I'll take whatever the genetics has to offer. I'd rather it be about the plant than me.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Pine is the worst. Turns soil acidic. The best thing for organic guys is to start an outdoor compost pile and just mix it with your soil. Growing in pots there is not enough time to amend soil in a pot by putting stuff on top.
Grass clippings work the best. Just toss em in a bin and water every 4 days. Add some heat and that shit will cook into black dirt.
I use grass clippings, leaves in my compost pile. I prefer something that doesn't attract critters like clean straw or dead pine needles etc. Critters steer away from the needles for some reason. By the time I use them, they are pretty neutral in ph.
I don't "grow" a cover crop, I just "cover" my medium.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I use grass clippings, leaves in my compost pile. I prefer something that doesn't attract critters like clean straw or dead pine needles etc. Critters steer away from the needles for some reason. By the time I use them, they are pretty neutral in ph.
I don't "grow" a cover crop, I just "cover" my medium.
For outside in the garden definitely grass clippings. And around trees and anyplace you want to kill grass and weeds naturally. Fall is best. I have some primo spots in the yard like under a maple tree, or a few areas of clover that I bag and take to the veggie garden.