Best taste/quality buds...which bottled nutrients?

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I just thought about this one. If you look at the FF 3-part, one of those three is basically an organic-ish tea. The other two are pure salt. I think the big bloom is the one that is just guano and kelp and whatnot. There's your flavor.
Big Bloom. I was using that one from day 1 til chop. It is said to be 100% Organic also has worm castings. The old head back in the day at the Hydro store swore by it. He said it would not burn the plants so i was pretty generous with it. It s kida pricey tho.

twobitbob

Super Active Member
My worms love tomatoes. I food-process most stuff I put in there but I have tomatoes popping up in my cover crop all the time now. Chop-n-drop baby LOL.
Those volunteers turn out good sometimes too, the tomato seeds pop up like crazy in the worm castings.
My buddy grew out a cantaloupe volunteer from some castings I gave him, it was kind of a cool surprise.
Wildflower bombs are fun to make with castings too.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Those volunteers turn out good sometimes too, the tomato seeds pop up like crazy in the worm castings.
My buddy grew out a cantaloupe volunteer from some castings I gave him, it was kind of a cool surprise.
Wildflower bombs are fun to make with castings too.
It seems that every tomato volunteer is a cherry tomato - don't know if you have ever noticed that. I found out that if you grow from Burpee seed packs they breed with clones. You are getting a first generation seed or starter plant (think S1) that has a specific mom and a specific dad that have proven to produce specific seed-plants.

Like if you get S1's that are pretty homogenous, one backcross and the ghosts of Christmas past all come out. Most of those walmart tomatoes are gonna make cherry tomato S2's. I think they use them to get 'prolific' in the mix but it's also a dominant gene plant. And "making an S2" just means you grew tomatoes and they had seeds LOL

Even if you grow heirloom tomatoes, unless you only have one variety they can cross and you end upwith wierdness.

Pretty sure that's just for tomatoes though.

twobitbob

Super Active Member
It seems that every tomato volunteer is a cherry tomato - don't know if you have ever noticed that. I found out that if you grow from Burpee seed packs they breed with clones. You are getting a first generation seed or starter plant (think S1) that has a specific mom and a specific dad that have proven to produce specific seed-plants.

Like if you get S1's that are pretty homogenous, one backcross and the ghosts of Christmas past all come out. Most of those walmart tomatoes are gonna make cherry tomato S2's. I think they use them to get 'prolific' in the mix but it's also a dominant gene plant. And "making an S2" just means you grew tomatoes and they had seeds LOL

Even if you grow heirloom tomatoes, unless you only have one variety they can cross and you end upwith wierdness.

Pretty sure that's just for tomatoes though.
Yep they cross if they are open pollinated, I think most heirlooms are.
I've been saving seeds from Baker Creek Cherokee purple and Black from Tula and they definitely crossed, I had some Tye Dyed greens growing the 2nd year this year one plant had all 3 characteristics and they are getting acclimated to the environment here too. On my fourth Generation now.
I like variety and saving seeds so they cross. I'm kind of excited to see how some of the peppers turn out next year. Saved seeds from banana peppers, Serrano, and King of the north, all of them were in the same 200 gallon pot so I know they crossed. The peppers did good this year.

Yes I have had volunteer turn into cherry tomatoes never thought much about it though since I was composting lots of different things at the time, Interesting about the Burpee breeding.

Dondell

the market is shot...I need to start focusing on the most economical ways to produce herb. Canna coco has been good to me, but it's gotten very pricey. I'm gonna make a change, does anybody have any input...?

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
the market is shot...I need to start focusing on the most economical ways to produce herb. Canna coco has been good to me, but it's gotten very pricey. I'm gonna make a change, does anybody have any input...?
Man, I use Miracle Grow All Purpose. Dynagrow Bloom and some kind green crystals shit I found behind the "Shady Rest". lol
I also have that "321" fertilizer.
I have a huge backyard compost garden full of ProMix and Bio-Char for a base mix.
I'm planting seeds in it too.
I try and stay away from all of the products except "microbes"

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I invested in a take-n-bake kit from buildasoil and a worm bin. I get bare-bones Down To Earth mineral inputs for adding to the worm bins to get them into the castings. Lots of fermented local stuff or sprouted seed teas, I have bought some new peat since then and use rice hulls as both a mulch lauer and then later for a soil fluffer after it gets worked in. I don't buy much else except the Craft Blend from BaS, a microbe innoculant just because (like recharge) and a fungus innoculant for my endo myco's. Those last a while and I get whateer is cheapest.